TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Quick acceleration can be dangerous when changing lanes on the freeway

Discussion in 'Roadster 2020+' started by SanDiegoGuy, Apr 24, 2018.

1. SanDiegoGuy

SanDiegoGuy Member

So many times I see close calls in which 2 cars try to change lane into a common middle lane in the freeway. Well, due to the slow acceleration of ICE cars, people have time to react to avoid major accident.

For the 2020 roadster, the quick burst of acceleration may cause higher change of getting into an accident because the other driver do not have quick enough reaction to avoid an accident.

I know that accidents like this or others do happen no matter what kind of cars you drive. But in the next few years, electric cars such as the Tesla 2020 roadster with its quick acceleration will likely increase accidents on the highway/freeway.

Hopefully, there will be sensors in the future to diminish such incidents.

• Disagree x 10
    • Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  2. Derek Kessler

Derek Kessler Active Member

It's not like it's a 0-60 in 1.9 seconds rocket ship every time you press the accelerator. It's all about knowing the car and being a responsible driver.

• Like x 1
  3. Mark_T

Mark_T Active Member

When driving cars with that sort of performance (and actively using the performance) I tend to complete the lane shift then accelerate to avoid rear-ending the car in front, so I'm not sure the acceleration is going to have much impact on the risk.

• Like x 1
  4. jimmyjohn

jimmyjohn Member

You'll never be able to completely eliminate stupidity.

• Love x 4
    • Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  5. Joelgjr

Joelgjr Member

Is this a troll post? Are the shorters in town? This is a ridiculous concern. Like others have said, you’re not going to utilize 100% of the horsepower every single time you utilize the accelerator. Most other Hyper Cars require either a special key, or to be put into Race mode in order to utilize full horsepower. Plus they have comfort and standard modes which dial back power.

Which reminds me - I very distinctly remember reading on a Toyota forum YEARS ago a discussion amongst petrolheads concerned that the electric motor in hybrids would lead to people abusing the instant torque and causing accidents. No kidding. Now, the thought of that statement seems ridiculous

• Like x 3
  6. McRat

McRat Well-Known Member

You confuse forward acceleration with lateral speed.
    I'm going to guess you've never driven anything that will roast the tires on the freeway when you stab it.
    Start there.
    An AWD anything is going to give you less drama on the street.

• Like x 1
  7. pilotSteve

pilotSteve Active Member

... but some might be awarded a “Darwin” posthumously.....

• Like x 1
  8. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Well-Known Member

I have driven high performance cars before, and having lots of power available makes changing lanes much safer.

When you see a spot ahead you wish to merge into, you just give it a little pedal and swoosh, you are there.

It is the cars with poor performance that are the real danger. They cannot manouver into that open slot. Same with the huge trucks changing lanes. They are slow, clumsy and cause anxiety when changing lanes.

• Like x 7
  9. gregd

gregd Active Member

+1 I hate it when two large trucks are trying to pass each other on a grade, with both of them losing...

It does take a very little getting used to the immediate response of an EV drive train, so you don't end up in the car ahead's tailpipe. But after that, I much prefer an EV in any kind of traffic.

• Like x 1
  10. Ludalicious

Ludalicious Active Member

On numerous occasions I have sped up to get into a lane and allot of vehicles don't hear a vehicle winding up, take a quick look and also take the lane without even knowing that you are already in the space. It does happen. If you drive like an idiot just make sure you are aware of others.....

11. TexasTeslaRacing

2020 can’t come fast enough! Please Elon, make it early 2020

• Like x 1
  12. ShockOnT

ShockOnT ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

Same as on a motorbike. If you suddenly accelerate you can surprise people.
    Gotta drive/ride defensively.

13. MrAustraliaTax

Personally I find the *best* point of EV driving is the way you can place yourself instantly into an opening safely.

Even if another vehicle accelerates at exactly the same time, you are so far ahead instantaneously that there is no risk of occupying the same space.

I also agree with ShockOnT's comment that you have to drive defensively, and presume that the other road users simply don't expect you to appear so suddenly.

• Like x 2
  14. Raechris

Raechris Member

If not a troll - power and speed are safety features IMHO. The ability to quickly get out of the way or move past another weaving/texting/drunk/high driver is important to me. As far as two cars converging on the same lane, blinkers and seeing the whites of their eyes works for me. OTOH - it will take ICE drivers years before they comprehend how quickly EV can change position on a moving highway = defensive driving.

• Like x 1
  15. TLS1958

TLS1958 Member

Changing lanes is not the only concern, with my current P90D when accelerating from a traffic light turning green the through red drivers caused me real issues.
    It is a matter of knowing that “others” will not do what they are supposed to do.
    We all have to understand we drive cars with great accelerations and have to anticipate on others making wrong choices.
    On lane changing; know when I am driving in AP my sensors have refused to change lanes seeing a car which was for Mr not visible in mirrors.
    Maybe technology can help?
    Something alike warning lights in side panels that a car is nearby.

16. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

• Like x 1
  17. kingjamez

kingjamez Member

18. Only

Only Member

Agree.

I've personally found the immediate torque of the electric motors to be helpful to avoid accidents.

• Like x 1
  19. CarlK

CarlK Active Member

Me thinks even with the Roadster you can still drive it as slow as you want to.

20. gregd

gregd Active Member

Me thinks you don't drive the current Roadster... :)