Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Really low range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thats not what he said. Different units. Check my math, "3% of 82kwh is 100wh". No. If he said running a 100W blulb for 24 hours is the equivalent of 3% of an 82kWh battery then yes, that is correct. He left some steps and information out.
but 3% of an 82 kWh battery is ~100 Wh, so there's essentially a 100W incandescent bulb running 24 hrs a day in your car.
Yes, @MDElectric abbreviated his response. You can't directly relate 82kWh (energy) to 100W (power) unless you know how long the power was being used, i.e. 24 hours.

Yes, @MDElectric abbreviated his response. You can't directly relate 82kWh (energy) to 100W (power) unless you know how long the power was being used, i.e. 24 hours.
No, 100Wh is exactly that. 100 watt hours. That’s what he typed. His equation uses wh then later on uses the 100w bulb analogy. The first part should be 3% of an 82kwh battery is 2.4kwh which is essentially a 100w bulb burning for 24 hours. He said to check his math and for the equation he posted, it was wrong. There’s nothing wrong with being wrong. Especially if you ask people to check your math. Just own it. We get what he was trying to say but the math of the equation presented to the board was wrong.

Appreciate the correction--I did ask for it! Point of my post was to say that if your MY is really losing 3% charge a day, then it might be discernable by looking for something warm in your car. As an example, I took this pic with the Sentry On, showing that some of it's power usage is running the defrost on the cameras. Also noticed that each of the fender and door cameras start to heat up too (just because they're electronic--not intentionally). And for one data point, my car was left unused the past 36 hrs in my 45F garage and has lost .3% (1 mile) range, including short time testing with Sentry mode to take that photo.

Attachments

• IMG_4474.jpg
    IMG_4474.jpg
    326.2 KB · Views: 64
  • Informative
Reactions: ElectricAnt54
… if your MY is really losing 3% charge a day, then it might be discernable by looking for something warm in your car. As an example, I took this pic with the Sentry On, showing that some of it's power usage is running the defrost on the cameras. Also noticed that each of the fender and door cameras start to heat up too (just because they're electronic--not intentionally).
That might be true. Before I turned off Sentry mode, I could see a loss of 8% to 10% per day (depending upon temperature). So camera heaters might be the reason for the variance.

But now that I closed Sentry mode and closed the Tesla app on my iPhone, I’m still losing around 3% per day. It would be nice to understand why.

That might be true. Before I turned off Sentry mode, I could see a loss of 8% to 10% per day (depending upon temperature). So camera heaters might be the reason for the variance.

But now that I closed Sentry mode and closed the Tesla app on my iPhone, I’m still losing around 3% per day. It would be nice to understand why.
Do you use any third party software like TeslaFi? Or anything else that would be accessing your car remotely and causing it to not sleep? On the flip side, TeslaFi has a feature to make sure your car sleeps so it can have benefits as well.

Do you have walk away lock on? Is your phone stored close enough to your car that it will never lock?

Do you use any third party software like TeslaFi? Or anything else that would be accessing your car remotely and causing it to not sleep? On the flip side, TeslaFi has a feature to make sure your car sleeps so it can have benefits as well.
I use TeslaFi and only lose 1% a night or less when unplugged. The cool thing is TeslaFi will show how much the car is sleeping at night. Ours generally sleeps all night with no interruptions.

Do you have walk away lock on? Is your phone stored close enough to your car that it will never lock?
I don’t have any other applications open, though I once used Stats but haven’t opened that app in many months. I’ve never used Teslafi.

I close the Tesla app when I get into my house in the evening. And then open it back up in the morning on my way to work. When the Tesla app is closed, proximity unlock doesn’t work so I assume walk away lock doesn’t either.

I haven’t figured out the right set of things to do to get loss to 0 (or close to it) when my car is parked at home. I screen shot the Tesla app main screen when I park at night. Friday night to Saturday noon my state of charge went from 41% to 38%.

The 300+ mile range is calculated at 50 miles per hour on flat ground with no weather.
If you're talking about EPA range ratings and EPA testing, no, it's not.

See pointers at Ioniq 5 vs Model Y. You can see the test schedules at Detailed Test Information with the graphs as to what speed the vehicle is supposed to be at for a given point in time for each cycle. The highest average speed for any of the test cycles is 48.4 mph. None of them are steady state at 50 mph and they aren't done on a real road either.

• Informative
Reactions: LoudMusic
Friday night to Saturday noon my state of charge went from 41% to 38%.
This winter, when it has been cold (overnight) inside my garage, I have noticed that the % state of charge (SOC) of the battery is 3% lower than when I parked my Tesla Model Y. This is prior to preconditioning. I attribute this to the Tesla battery management system applying an algorithm to adjust the state of charge, estimated range downwards due to the cold. I don't use Sentry mode at home. I only started to see this after installing one of the updates.

• Helpful
Reactions: GtiMart and Rocky_H
If you're talking about EPA range ratings and EPA testing, no, it's not.

See pointers at Ioniq 5 vs Model Y. You can see the test schedules at Detailed Test Information with the graphs as to what speed the vehicle is supposed to be at for a given point in time for each cycle. The highest average speed for any of the test cycles is 48.4 mph. None of them are steady state at 50 mph and they aren't done on a real road either.

How does Tesla determine that 245 or 250 wh/mile is the typical consumption? I was under the impression that value was identified by 50 mph cruising speed.

This winter, when it has been cold (overnight) inside my garage, I have noticed that the % state of charge (SOC) of the battery is 3% lower than when I parked my Tesla Model Y.
So would your hypothesis be: Pull car with X% (warm) battery into cold garage, then 24 hrs later battery is cold and Tesla adjusts % available miles left down by ~3%. So this wouldn't keep happening if you left it in garage for another 2-3 days, and might go back up if temperature in garage warmed up. Someone get a space heater for jcanoe! Interesting theory for WindPower's observation.

Last edited:
So would your hypothesis be: Pull car with X% (warm) battery into cold garage, then 24 hrs later battery is cold and Tesla adjusts % available miles left down by ~3%. So this wouldn't keep happening if you left it in garage for another 2-3 days, and might go back up if temperature in garage warmed up. Someone get a space heater for jcanoe! Interesting theory for WindPower's observation.
It happened this A.M., parked with 81% and Model Y woke up via app with 78%. I will continue to monitor this as the days and nights get warmer.

I can corroborate this theory. State of charge is negatively affected by battery temperature. Usually it will reflect this as a blue shaded area and blue snowflake in the state of charge display in the car, but it won’t show you that in the app.

I attribute this to the Tesla battery management system applying an algorithm to adjust the state of charge, estimated range downwards due to the cold
Maybe. We’d need to run some experiments to find out if the loss of SOC overnight is real or just due to an algorithm.

My gut feel is that this loss is real, but it’s due to the car trying to maintain a certain battery temperature even though the car wouldn’t be driven for 14 hours. The reason why I think this is that, if I take out the trash after dinner, I still hear noises coming from the car. I think these noises are coming from the heat pump.

That said, if the car is trying to (mistakenly) maintain a minimum battery temperature, there should be less SOC loss as the night time temperature rises.