Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Really low range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe. We’d need to run some experiments to find out if the loss of SOC overnight is real or just due to an algorithm.

My gut feel is that this loss is real, but it’s due to the car trying to maintain a certain battery temperature even though the car wouldn’t be driven for 14 hours. The reason why I think this is that, if I take out the trash after dinner, I still hear noises coming from the car. I think these noises are coming from the heat pump.

That said, if the car is trying to (mistakenly) maintain a minimum battery temperature, there should be less SOC loss as the night time temperature rises.
Why not just plug it in every night and wake up to the charge you want? You still may want to figure out what’s actually happening but just keep the car charged in every night and you will mitigate any losses you suspect are happening

Reactions: WrldDriftR
I have seen my SOC go down by as much as 7% just due to the cold (the blue portion on the battery graph). It's clear to see using TeslaFi which shows both numbers. Here it is from this morning:
1646144871888.png

My battery still contains 74% but SOC shows as 67% in the car and in the app.

I have seen my SOC go down by as much as 7% just due to the cold (the blue portion on the battery graph). It's clear to see using TeslaFi which shows both numbers. Here it is from this morning:
View attachment 775256
My battery still contains 74% but SOC shows as 67% in the car and in the app.
Yes, if your car is outside where it can warm up without using any battery energy, the SOC on the screen will increase throughout the day back to its true capacity.

That's not true. I think you are mixing up the distinction of what the difference is. It definitely DOES count ALL energy, including heating and everything else. But it is only turning on the counter for it when the car gets put in a Drive or Reverse gear. So if you back out onto your driveway and leave it in Reverse and just hold your foot on the brake to keep it there and blast the heat for half an hour, it will show a huge amount of energy consumption there in that counter. But idle usage while the car is sleeping or "Off" doesn't get counted.
Hehe.
My energy app says I did avg 230wh/mi, which is equivalent to 113% EPA mile range. 113%! EVEN BETTER THAN EPA!!!!
But I always get only 70-82% EPA (vs 113%)
Hehehehehe.
:)

So it was -30c or so with the windchill yesterday and because I was away in Buffalo for a hockey tournament for my son and chickened out on taking the Tesla I left it with my wife.

She charged it to 80% over night. Drove it to work (40km or so). I checked the app and it took about 10-12% of the battery.

She parks outside and must not have preconditioned before leaving. By the time she got home car was at 36%.

I figured the range would plummet in the cold which is why I didn’t take it on my road trip, but that sounds a bit ridiculous even without regen? Say 80-90km (not miles) taking 44% of the battery?

Should have asked her to take a snip of the consumption screen as I was a bit shocked.

So it was -30c or so with the windchill yesterday and because I was away in Buffalo for a hockey tournament for my son and chickened out on taking the Tesla I left it with my wife.

Human skin is the only thing that cares about windchill. The car cares about actual temperature and windspeed + direction.

It’s very plausible to have a strong tailwind give you fantastic efficiency going one direction. Park the car, the temperatures turn cold, and you fight a strong headwind in subzero temps and have massively increased consumption. I drove 140 miles yesterday in subzero temps out here in Minnesota, and my consumption was relatively consistent. Consistently bad, but exactly what I expected.

0EED5450-E7C1-4EFB-A82D-3749792E57F4.jpeg

Human skin is the only thing that cares about windchill. The car cares about actual temperature and windspeed + direction.

It’s very plausible to have a strong tailwind give you fantastic efficiency going one direction. Park the car, the temperatures turn cold, and you fight a strong headwind in subzero temps and have massively increased consumption. I drove 140 miles yesterday in subzero temps out here in Minnesota, and my consumption was relatively consistent. Consistently bad, but exactly what I expected.

View attachment 903271
What app is this?

She charged it to 80% over night. Drove it to work (40km or so). I checked the app and it took about 10-12% of the battery.

She parks outside and must not have preconditioned before leaving. By the time she got home car was at 36%.

I figured the range would plummet in the cold which is why I didn’t take it on my road trip, but that sounds a bit ridiculous even without regen? Say 80-90km (not miles) taking 44% of the battery?

Should have asked her to take a snip of the consumption screen as I was a bit shocked.
I get 160-175 miles from 100%-5% in very cold conditions at highway speed. If you add in multiple cold soak and re-heats, it would be even worse.

I picked up my MYLR on Friday and so far I'm averaging more than the advertised and I drive in traffic for my work commute, it's anywhere from 10mph to 75mph. I rarely go over that. but average speed is probably 40mph. This morning, temp was in high 40's in socal and my 35 mile commute took 30miles of range off. So not sure if this is the norm or not.. thoughts?

I picked up my MYLR on Friday and so far I'm averaging more than the advertised and I drive in traffic for my work commute, it's anywhere from 10mph to 75mph. I rarely go over that. but average speed is probably 40mph. This morning, temp was in high 40's in socal and my 35 mile commute took 30miles of range off. So not sure if this is the norm or not.. thoughts?
I don't think there really is a 'norm' since range depends on so many factors. And a 35 mile trip is too short to really tell.
But for most of my fair weather driving, I probably get pretty close the advertised range.

Depends on elevation also, you can see details on the energy screen which I use to track my usage. I’m also in Socal and a lot of my losses come from elevation, you inevitably lose some range going up and down the same hill.

The 300+ mile range is calculated at 50 miles per hour on flat ground with no weather. Give that a try for five consecutive miles and see what the wh/mile is. You can view it on the consumption graph. I suspect it will be very close to the rated consumption.

If it's not, take a picture and share it here.

If you're driving any differently than that, the consumption will go up, and the range will come down. Same as a gasoline car.

You can do more than 50 mph. I just did the San Diego to Santa Barbara run in my MYLR. On a mix of 30 mph traffic and 70 mph open-running, I averaged 237 wh/mi for a real-world range of 320 miles

Reactions: woolymammoth17