Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems like all development is centered around Model 3 and the driving conditions in California cities where navigation is traffic aware,

you mean where all the roads are always red?

if it was traffic aware, we would have pot hole warning integrated on our camera's so they could spot pot holes ahead and inform us that were gonna dent a rim.

Oh wait, then tesla has no reason to sell more of there poor quality rims, compared to what you could really get for 6500 dollars a set.

:p

.. And the climate control is no longer easily toggled off with just a tap, you can tap it on once but to turn off it pops up the settings screen and re-centers the nave creating a lot of visually busy motions. This caused problems with a co-worker who suffers migraines easily from this type of jerking around when I gave her a rid home...
On my S60 Climate Control can easily be turned on and off by pushing the right scroll wheel. When on, the temperature can be adjusted by using the scroll wheel. (I have no idea if this is the same on AP cars.)

Reactions: Cirrus MS100D
I'm thinking maybe that is their new sales lever, screw up software on older cars so people buy new ones.

That's probably not far off from the truth. Speed Limiter and Chill were left off of old AP0 cars, but on v9 they were accidentally not removed. Neither use the Chill acceleration profile that is utilized by reverse and valet mode, but speed limiter does work despite their claims it doesn't. Tesla is actually leaving out safety updates to try and force upselling.

Reactions: kavyboy
I may be in the minority, but I've always had my rear view camera at the bottom, so V9 placement doesn't bother me.

However, I'm getting tired of constantly having to reselect the rear view camera. For example, when Nav wants to go full screen (example ... Press the gear at the bottom of the nav list of turns), and then you cancel the Nav setting popup ... Instead of returning to rear view camera .. It pops up Music as if that is some type of default.

What I would like to see is either some popup history and/or the ability to change the default app ... For example, being able to drag the rear view icon and replace the music icon.

I don't believe this to be the case, if this would be the case they would just stop delivering new software to those cars. Instead Tesla is not only updating all their cars but actually pushing g the same software to all of them I stead of separating "premium" (Model S & X) from "non-premium" (Model 3) as other manufacturers do
They are pushing software updates to all cars because
  1. Liability - they are an always connected device. This means you have to keep on patching for security. If a bunch of cars were hacked, Tesla would have a huge liability problem. Imagine a headline if few thousands of Tesla got hacked one night and they all simply hit the go pedal accelerating until they hit something. Game over for Tesla.
  2. They sold people vapourware, so they have to show they are making progress. If they stopped, they declare all features complete, so open themselves for lawsuits for undelivered stuff
  3. They sell the fact that all cars get OTA
I would love if they actually gave me a version if software which has everything they said the car will do, then only deliver security OTA, nothing new added or anything removed.

• Love
Reactions: kavyboy
So that every post in this thread isn't negative, I like the UI on v9 much better than 8.1. :D. I'm fine with the rearview camera position. I like the persistent map. I like the unified settings. I like the more responsive screen and greater map detail. I like the situation awareness the side cameras now provide on the dash display. I even like the fonts better. :)

Carry on with the bashing now.

So that every post in this thread isn't negative, I like the UI on v9 much better than 8.1. :D. I'm fine with the rearview camera position. I like the persistent map. I like the unified settings. I like the more responsive screen and greater map detail. I like the situation awareness the side cameras now provide on the dash display. I even like the fonts better. :)

Carry on with the bashing now.
There are always people who will like almost anything. I'm know people who prefer to ride horse over driving a car too, and not just because they are so much more environmentally friendly (entire horse is bio degradable, as is its fuel and excretions) :p

Agreed I definitely suggest escalating this issue, Log into your Tesla account on the website and under your car select escalate and submit your issue. In this case reduced function of 9.0 and not being able to use the top portion of the display any more vs 8.1version of the in car software.

Heres what I sent

"Hello,

I have an issue with the new 9.0 software. I like to keep the rear view camera or the web browser on the top half of my screen when driving. It seems like this is no longer allowed with v9.0. I can’t seem to get anything but the map on the top portion of the screen. You have decreased the functionality of the 17 inch screen to only allow one user selected app to be displayed on the bottom of the display!? To top that off I RARELY use the in car maps on the main center display for more then a few moments especially since once I’ve entered a destination it displays turn by turn directions on the dashboard behind the steering wheel. At that point I switch the center display to rearview camera or web browser with WAZE. Please restore the ability to choose what applications I display on the top of my center console!

You should not be taking features away from customers, if anything we should have more user interface freedom, not less! For example how about letting us choose where things are displayed etc just like with a phone where you can move your most used applications around as well. "
Why don't you just schedule a Service Center appointment to "fix" this? ;)

• Funny
Reactions: Tech_Guy
So is the only complaint that the map is on the whole time? Or that rear view camera can't pair with certain things?
I for one, almost always have the map on - catches the accident traffic that is unexpected. Never use rear view camera while driving.

The issue here is choice restriction.

It was user configurable interface to mix and match any 2 apps you want at 2 positions you want.

Now, you can't have 2 particular apps at the same time such as camera on top and running popular waze map on a browser at the bottom.

It's easy for me to say that I got black color choice and have no use for other colors so I can't understand what the fuss about reducing the colors down to 1 single choice (The map must always be on the background as a first top half app) ?

Bottom line: The world needs more choices and more user-configurable capability, not less.

I feel very unsafe driving the car because I use the rearview camera on top of the screen as a blindspot warning.

I won't disagree with you on the posting as I realize different people have different things they like. You may know this, but that rear view camera should not be used as a blind spot warning as it does not have a wide enough field of view to see cars in a blind spot on the rear quarter panel. Maybe the ultrasonics are better at that, but I still would not depend on them.

I use my neck, and side mirrors for blind spot monitoring and wonder why people felt safe driving their cars before rear view cameras ever existed, yet now don't feel safe because the camera has changed. I am not trying to be critical or rude, just baffled. :)

Reactions: mhan00 and jrad6515
I won't disagree with you on the posting as I realize different people have different things they like. You may know this, but that rear view camera should not be used as a blind spot warning as it does not have a wide enough field of view to see cars in a blind spot on the rear quarter panel. Maybe the ultrasonics are better at that, but I still would not depend on them.

I use my neck, and side mirrors for blind spot monitoring and wonder why people felt safe driving their cars before rear view cameras ever existed, yet now don't feel safe because the camera has changed. I am not trying to be critical or rude, just baffled. :)
Camera is one additional source of information, along with mirrors and yes, your neck. What you're saying is similar as if you told someone that you don't mind that someone removed the side view mirrors from your car because you use your neck. Heck, you could argue it's better because it made the car more aerodynamic. ;)

Camera is one additional source of information, along with mirrors and yes, your neck. What you're saying is similar as if you told someone that you don't mind that someone removed the side view mirrors from your car because you use your neck. Heck, you could argue it's better because it made the car more aerodynamic. ;)

yup, agree and I like the extra input. I just don't use it as a blind spot monitor. I'd probably be upset as well if I were used to having the camera at the top and now I can't, but since I have it at the bottom of the screen on the rare occasions that I use it, I am not missing anything in this update.

My lane change process is: Check rear mirror ---> Check side mirror --> Confirm on rear camera it's clear. Rear camera has a much wider field of view then the rear mirror. Honestly the rear view mirrors on S & X are so small it is barely useable. Side mirrors are good, but if they are taking away top camera view on the main screen I might have to break down and buy those sticky round wide view mirrors for my side mirrors.

Reactions: ramonneke
yup, agree and I like the extra input. I just don't use it as a blind spot monitor. I'd probably be upset as well if I were used to having the camera at the top and now I can't, but since I have it at the bottom of the screen on the rare occasions that I use it, I am not missing anything in this update.
So what you're saying is that not 100% of users will miss the functionality. That is usually the case with almost any feature. I wouldn't miss it if Tesla removed summon completely from v9, but I bet there would be some upset folks posting here. I also wouldn't miss if pano roof controls were gone (no more opening the roof). :p

One of the reasons I didn't trade my S in for a 3 was because I didn't like the layout of the center screen. I only want the big map open about 5% of the time. This is a total BS downgrade. I'm not installing it unless they get Mad Max Mode working again. Even then it's probably not worth it. My current version of software works almost flawlessly, so I'm good for now. I can make my own damn lane changes without scaring the *sugar* out of everyone.

I've been looking at the pictures people have posted. Have "Units and Format" settings disappeared?
Also one of these threads had a video. The guy showed most (if not all) the screens. The service screen did not have the TPMS reset button. Is that gone too? I use that twice a year.