Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Limiting the screen to a single app may have been necessary in order to add the dashcam feature. Maybe the CPU was too taxed when keeping up with two apps on the screen. The fact that the dashcam footage glitches so frequently seems to indicate that the CPU is heavily taxed.

Limiting the screen to a single app may have been necessary in order to add the dashcam feature. Maybe the CPU was too taxed when keeping up with two apps on the screen. The fact that the dashcam footage glitches so frequently seems to indicate that the CPU is heavily taxed.

Not every owner can use the Dashcam feature, i.e., the AP1 owners.

Seems like a reasonable solution would be to allow two open apps, have each dock to either the top or bottom of the display (vs. docking at the bottom as they do now) and have the map shift focus to the open section if only one app is visible. In addition, add a pin button to the app window, allowing it to be locked open in whichever slot. If 1 app is pinned, a second app opens in the open slot which can also be pinned.

Might be even easier to add an app settings page that lets you select top/bottom for each app and a pin setting.

There's really no need for the map to take up the whole 17" landscape screen and it'd be easy to incorporate two open apps into the overall UI design.

With 2 open apps, audio controls could default to hidden and pop over the bottom app only when opened.

this seems like a reasonable idea, and I bet the overall new-fangled UI look could be retained - Tesla are you listening ?
(yes, I know that's probably a rhetorical question)

BTW - as to the suggestion that maybe they limited it to only 1 app overlaying the map due to CPU constraints in order to run the new dashcam and blind spot detection: Note for AP1 cars we don't get those new features so zero CPU resources required.

Furthermore, if concerned about performance isn't constantly updating the map even when not required a waste of CPU resources?? So how about this crazy idea... let us turn off the map and free up resources to run any 2 other apps (2 apps already works fine on v8 MCU1/AP1 cars). With v9, always-on-Maps + rear camera works, right? Meanwhile every other app (calendar, phone, music, energy) is surely less CPU-hungry than constantly updating maps, so camera + any of those other apps must need less CPU than camera + maps. And anyhow newer cars have the faster MCU2 as well, so I don't buy performance as the real reason. OTOH code base simplification, yeah unfortunately I see that's what they're doing... that plus just really not thinking/caring about how people actually use the car

Reactions: croman
I will NEVER let V9 onto our X if camera has to be on the bottom. Much less, more added stupid video games.
I've had my MX for a year and have loved every minute of it. I have the camera on top with music on the bottom 99% of the time while driving. Since we've all lost that option since this update I've really lost my desire to drive my X. Luckily it is a lease and I have the option to return which I will happily do if this does not get rectified. Why take the options away from us as owners. Really a shame.

I've had my MX for a year and have loved every minute of it. I have the camera on top with music on the bottom 99% of the time while driving. Since we've all lost that option since this update I've really lost my desire to drive my X. Luckily it is a lease and I have the option to return which I will happily do if this does not get rectified. Why take the options away from us as owners. Really a shame.

/s ?

I like to keep the rear view camera always on the top half of my screen when driving. It seems like this is no longer allowed with v9.0. I can’t seem to get anything but the map on the top portion of the screen. Has anyone figured out to have something other than the map on the upper portion of the screen?

Thanks
I agree 100%, with a 17 inch screen you should be able to choose what app is on top and on the bottom, just like it used to be I rarely use the navigation unless I’m going on a trip. .

At the end of the day what it really is, is the removal of a cornerstone feature of the Tesla UI since day one of Model S (and X). The loss of ability to split-screen 2 apps of your choosing is a major change. Now it's maps and whatever else you want, but always maps.

How are the really old "cheap" Teslas bought without the tech package doing on this update? They didn't even get navigation to begin with.

I should add, not much good/bad from Model 3 folks, nothing dramatically changed for them with V9, certainly not like the changes to S&X UI.

I highly suggest the PIA it is to keep
Multiple versions of software vs making it the same across all the models.
Might change your perspective.

For me at least, all I want is the rear camera view at the top of the screen while driving. This happens when the car is in reverse on v9 so I can't imagine it would be very difficult to make the rear camera view appear on the same part of the display in both cases instead of the current situation of the rear camera display on the bottom of the screen while driving and at the top of the screen while in reverse.

I keep the rear camera on in our Model 3 as well, but the Model 3 is essentially missing the bottom half of the center screen vs. the Model S so having the rear camera view too low isn't really an issue.

I requested to revert to the previous version of the software if there isn't a quick fix for the rear camera position while driving in v9. This seems like a pretty reasonable request to me since I find have a view that tells me how other cars relate to the back of my car to be really useful when changing lanes in heavy traffic.

Reactions: croman