Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refresh Model X & S Waiting Room - AUSTRALIA (Orders cancelled by Tesla May2023)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

"Australia is one of the most competitive new-car markets in the world, with more brands represented here per-capita than most other developed countries.
For example, the US has 30 or so brands for 17 million annual sales and the UK has 40 or so brands for 2.5 million sales.

Australia has about 50 new-car brands competing for about 1.1 million sales annua…"

You're welcome :cool:

Yet Australia put a limit on how many models on anyone brand could sell in this country so local manufacturing could compete. It was introduced in the 80s by the Hawke government and to my knowledge never been removed. Only remember this because a family member work for Ford for 30+years.

And when travelling abroad you see just how many models have never seen the light of day in this country is quite an eye opener.

Last edited:

"Australia is one of the most competitive new-car markets in the world, with more brands represented here per-capita than most other developed countries.
For example, the US has 30 or so brands for 17 million annual sales and the UK has 40 or so brands for 2.5 million sales.

Australia has about 50 new-car brands competing for about 1.1 million sales annua…"

You're welcome :cool:
You sure you want to make your point by quoting a motoring magazine?

They literally do not sell a luxury car of any sort in Australia now....looks like the Roadster isn't going to come or the CyberTruck...all brands have a halo and flagship model...make no mistake IMHO it will ultimately hurt Tesla within the markets they do this....
So your assumption that manufacturers are required to supply the automobile model you believe you require is not shared by Tesla management. And why should they think that way. The thing about a "RHD" vehicle is that, from the manufacturing and logistics point of view, is another model. That is a standard Model S and a RHD Model S are two different models. And the whole world wide RHD market for all models is less than 20% of all auto sales. And lines such as Model S and Model X would be less than 10% of all Tesla models sold. Its just not worth it financially.

What you British need to realize is that the world does not owe you anything. If you want to buy Model S and Model X auros then you need to abandon your exceptionalism and join the rest of the world. Until you do that you should refrain from whining about how unfairly you are being treated.

"So your assumption that manufacturers are required to supply the automobile model you believe you require is not shared by Tesla management"

And yet a promise from the CEO directly to early Model S owners, how are they not forgotten about in this country...
Screenshot_20230514_080225_Chrome.jpg

Furthermore, if Tesla failed to sell one Model S in this country, in Tesla's infancy, do you really think there would be any Model 3/Ys for sale at all.
Save trying to take the high road when you fail to see who paved the road.

Last edited:
So your assumption that manufacturers are required to supply the automobile model you believe you require is not shared by Tesla management. And why should they think that way. The thing about a "RHD" vehicle is that, from the manufacturing and logistics point of view, is another model. That is a standard Model S and a RHD Model S are two different models. And the whole world wide RHD market for all models is less than 20% of all auto sales. And lines such as Model S and Model X would be less than 10% of all Tesla models sold. Its just not worth it financially.

What you British need to realize is that the world does not owe you anything. If you want to buy Model S and Model X auros then you need to abandon your exceptionalism and join the rest of the world. Until you do that you should refrain from whining about how unfairly you are being treated.
The thing is many do not agree that everyone should have the same car or same quality. That’s why cars exist that are superior to the 3 and Y. Thats not saying they are bad, because they are not, but I would never buy one as they do not suit my various needs and expectations.
The alternative to ‘abandoning your exceptionalism’ is buying another brand, which is what happens when a brand does not offer what people want….unless you are a serious rusted on fan.

Reactions: EcoCloudIT
Wow. That's a pretty salty post for someone that has only been on this board for 1 month. I would suggest listening and learning the culture for a bit before you go shooting off your mouth. Not least of which we aren't talking about Britain in this thread. You see, this thread is about a country called Australia. I realize that US schools don't like to talk about other countries (unless we are invading them) but Australia is a pretty large place in the South Pacific/Indian Ocean. Surely you have heard of it?

This is classic Tesla thinking short term vs long term. I know they believe that they can quickly pivot to this market when they need to but I don't think they appreciate the loss in goodwill and brand recognition. Also remember that India drives left and is poised to surpass China as the world's most populous country by 2040. It is foolish to ignore this market.

Racist bigot it would seem you are (FYI, I am not English/British)

Yeah I'll keep my S too - it's probably worth a bit more now that they aren't making any more of 'em in RHD. It's still somewhere between the M3LR and M3P in performance (i.e. goes like the clappers), looks great, and has a nice big boot.

I'll just have to suck up the MCU2 upgrade before Telstra turns 3G off (and probably replace the old yellowing screen too...) and replace tyres with monotonous regularity, but such is life with what is rapidly becoming a vintage GT car.
The MCU2 upgrade is by far the best money you'll ever spend. Makes the S a whole new car.

Well, I'm a bit late to this news but it's hard to overstate my disappointment.
I normally replace cars every 4 years, and have been holding on to my S for almost 7 years now, waiting for the new S.
I don't see any alternative vehicle that matches the S.
Damn!

Actually the EQE350+ (Long Range) or the EQE53 (Plaid) is pretty darn close (features, range, 0-100 etc.) and for sure more luxury.....and it is a ground up EV design which Merc should be congratulate for....

Actually the EQE350+ (Long Range) or the EQE53 (Plaid) is pretty darn close (features, range, 0-100 etc.) and for sure more luxury.....and it is a ground up EV design which Merc should be congratulate for....
The EQE53 looks like a nice car but performance wise slightly behind the refresh long-range S and not in the same league as the Plaid S. I see it as a bit boring and not special in the way a Plaid or Taycan is.

For myself, I viewed the Plaid as a nice comfortable daily driver with supercar destoying performance (in a straight line at least). At around or just over $200k it would've been a bargain compared to the Taycan Turbo. There is nothing currently on sale anywhere that competes at the price.