Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reuters: "Tesla readies revamped Model 3 with project 'Highland' -sources" [projected 3rd quarter 2023]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think removal of stalks is also a bad idea. Remember the 3 and Y are cars for the masses, high-volume production. Not just followers of the Cult of Elon.

Confused - my wife has a 2022 Equinox and it has a normal automatic shifter on the console, and the upcoming Equinox EV looks to have a shift stalk on the right of the column that appears to work just like the current 3/Y.
our 2018 Terrain has the shifter as buttons below the radio controls... no stalks and not on the gear shifter. just touch buttons with physical feedback

I think removal of stalks is also a bad idea. Remember the 3 and Y are cars for the masses, high-volume production. Not just followers of the Cult of Elon.

I agree removing the stalks is a bad idea but from what we have heard, it's coming regardless as they can make more money per car by removing them. The Yoke doesn't likely incur any cost savings which is why it may not happen.

My prediction is that the steering wheel for the refresh Model 3 will be similar to the Semi: a wheel with buttons, no stalks.

As for me, trying to decide whether to buy a Model 3 right now with the $3750 discount. (I won't qualify for the 2023 tax benefit).

My prediction is that the steering wheel for the refresh Model 3 will be similar to the Semi: a wheel with buttons, no stalks.

As for me, trying to decide whether to buy a Model 3 right now with the $3750 discount. (I won't qualify for the 2023 tax benefit).
not high enough unless you REALLY want/need a car now. Tesla isn't immune to sky high interest rates driving demand for car loans down and with the economy projected to slow down and with more competition coming... Tesla definitely is seeing some demand issues. They might lower prices next year by that tune or even more...

"Citing several individuals reportedly familiar with the matter, Reuters noted that “Project Highland” would involve improvements to the Model 3 that would reduce the number of the car’s components and the complexity of its interior. The revamp will reportedly also focus on features that Tesla buyers value the most, such as the infotainment system."

Infotainment is not a top value for me. Other things like, assembly issues, range extension, among others would rank higher than infotainment. Curious article.

Reactions: SummerlinChiro
Anyone hoping for fancier interiors, HUDs, instrument clusters, and air suspensions will be disappointed. None of those support reduction in cost and complexity. Elon wants to sell you a go-cart.

Attachments

• 1670129700074.jpeg
    1670129700074.jpeg
    17.5 KB · Views: 93
Not only does Elon want to sell people a go-kart, but the 'Tesla buyers' the article and Reuters are talking about are NOT the people who frequent this and similar fora.

The post- production hell target is very different from the mix who made up early adopters.

Tesla does not care about repeat purchases, they want the non-enthusiast, non-grease monkey, non-tech-savvy masses to buy units to scale.

After owning the M3P for 3 weeks, I wish the stalks were gone. For autopilot buttons would be gladly welcomed, partly because I came from A Subaru where you would engage cruise via wheel buttons.

As a motorcyclist, I'm also ok with buttons for blinkers.

Wheel or yoke is still TBD, but bring on the stalk removal!

Reactions: nate704
gotta love the camera embedded in the corner of the front headlights (the spy pics are pretty clear about that). Likely needed to avoid current blindspots for FSD and also help as additional park assist with USS deleted.

not so nice: everyone who bought a car with the FSD promise over the last years missing that new camera and the non USS crowd from now on until the new version is coming out...

Reactions: pilotSteve
Anyone hoping for fancier interiors, HUDs, instrument clusters, and air suspensions will be disappointed. None of those support reduction in cost and complexity. Elon wants to sell you a go-cart.
Ever since the 3 came out, I've complained about the headliner being light grey. I really hope they add black headliner. I also agree that HUD would be nice but I did find I got used to the single screen over the years.

I doubt this will happen but it'd be cool if they change the model 3 to a hatchback similar to the Y and S instead of the trunk design.

That and air suspension since I've experienced driveways that weren't even that steep but no matter the angle, I scraped the underside slightly. How nice would it be to have the ability to raise it up a bit when needed but lower it when driving.

I'd like air suspension but I cant see them offering it
Air suspension is IMO overrated/over-emphasized on this forum in particular (air springs come with a lot of downsides), but adaptive dampers are industry-standard in this price and size class (small/mid sports sedan). It really should be standard equipment by now on Model3 Performance. Ioniq6 will, and i4 does have them. I don't think there are any other EV competitors in the size/price class coming anytime soon, but obviously adaptive damping has been standard or low cost optional equipment in the high performance small-midsize sedan segment generally since the late 2000's. And it's one of the few "drive mode" things that actually makes a huge difference in the range of a performance car from livable to lively

If Tesla intends to compete using only their superior overall EV integration, I think they'll find a lot of bored owners who want a shiny new thing will bail out in the next 5 years.

But they know all this. Hopefully all these new factories will take some of the heat off standardizing the cars and allow some more diversity in the lineup and more options or more feature-rich upgrade trims. Allah loves variety

Last edited:
Reactions: vickh