Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reuters: "Tesla readies revamped Model 3 with project 'Highland' -sources" [projected 3rd quarter 2023]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sure, buy why go through all the effort just to be weird and still making the car worse than just keeping the round wheel? This is change for changes sake and just makes the car less desirable to non-weirdos.

As I wrote in another thread, when Tesla seems to be doing something strange and undesirable, the answer is always "it's about the money".

Like the yoke costs somewhat less to make as it doesn't have the arc on the top. Yes, for a mere fist full of dollars, Elon would do that and then BS some crap about FSD and the future.

The only case I can remember when they really improved things for customers despite costing more money: changing to the 16V NMC lithium accessory battery. But they were also probably experiencing lots of warranty costs from early lead-acid failures there too.

Reactions: mtndrew1
Highland will be a true drive by wire, moving away from the Boeing style to the Airbus style of control.

View attachment 963718
The red button is the “take over push button” when held for 40 seconds it locks out the other driver.

I do not want to be in the back seat when hearing “dual input” in a Model 3. :)

Also, within 50 feet of the ground the thing is in “direct law.”

If we get steer by wire, my guess is that it would come in the vehicle with the most to gain; Cybertruck. Being able to remove the linkage has the advantage of making the steering geometry easier to engineer in a vehicle with an widely articulating air suspension and four wheel steering.

As the best handling, lightest weight, Tesla, it is hoped if anything is changed, that they mount the rack more securely and move the (assist/FSD) motor to belt drive (they won’t unless Elon tak3s a drive in a Lotus or 997 or earlier 911 and mandates “steering feel.”) The electric motor in Tesla’s rack is well done, but it does dampen anything resembling real steering feel. The rest of the model 3 has a very good design for a next level handling car. It just doesn’t seem to be Tesla’s mission.

For a guy who has never appreciated acoustic music, figuring techno pop will continue to be the way….

From what appears to be reliable the new M3 will have -
-ventilated seats
-New front end
-New rear end
-diffuser (performance only?)
-screen swipe shift
-model S type controls (stocks removed)
- yoke option
-hardware 4.5
-larger battery for standard model
-battery chemistry change
-ambient lighting
-steering wheel redesign
-screen upgrade

adding
- 1 piece dash....(looks cheap)
- cloth door card material, removed alcantara (looks really cheap)

They ruined the SR+ I really hope they don't ruin the M3P.

The M3P needs a carbon wrapped motor, minimum, take the 980, modify it like the S units and give it more RPM... that would make the car guys happy, screw the fsd, dork view 360 and more sh*t that beeps at you.......... just more power tesla.

From what appears to be reliable the new M3 will have -
-ventilated seats
-New front end
-New rear end
-diffuser (performance only?)
-screen swipe shift
-model S type controls (stocks removed)
- yoke option
-hardware 4.5
-larger battery for standard model
-battery chemistry change
-ambient lighting
-steering wheel redesign
-screen upgrade

adding
- 1 piece dash....(looks cheap)
- cloth door card material, removed alcantara (looks really cheap)

They ruined the SR+ I really hope they don't ruin the M3P.

The M3P needs a carbon wrapped motor, minimum, take the 980, modify it like the S units and give it more RPM... that would make the car guys happy, screw the fsd, dork view 360 and more sh*t that beeps at you.......... just more power tesla.
Forgetting the rumored significant price cut.

As I wrote in another thread, when Tesla seems to be doing something strange and undesirable, the answer is always "it's about the money".

Like the yoke costs somewhat less to make as it doesn't have the arc on the top. Yes, for a mere fist full of dollars, Elon would do that and then BS some crap about FSD and the future.

The only case I can remember when they really improved things for customers despite costing more money: changing to the 16V NMC lithium accessory battery. But they were also probably experiencing lots of warranty costs from early lead-acid failures there too.
You know what would be a fantastic way to save a tone of money per unit and make the car better? Just give the option of totally dumping the FSD computer and just give those customers dumb cruise control. Perhaps the next CEO....

I think the majority of people buying Tesla's at this point have zero idea about refresh model coming out soon.

Or, they are people pouncing on Discounts, and then are going to come here and throw a fit when the new one has something they "didnt know about".

Like I said in another subforum here, my lifetime in customer service / customer service management has taught me, very clearly that "when someone can attempt to shift blame for something away from themselves onto ANYONE else, regardless of whether they are the responsible party or not, they will try to do so".

I could point to several example types that are repeatedly found here, but If I do that, it will likely considered being "unwelcoming" or something as an official statement, even though this isnt a moderator comment.