Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reuters: "Tesla readies revamped Model 3 with project 'Highland' -sources" [projected 3rd quarter 2023]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ive has a model 3 rwd for a month now. I knew the highland was coming out. Got it at 38,030 which is a steal with the tax credit/gas savings compared to daily driving my jeep. Highland I hope is great, but currently I'd rather have a very well revised car and get the highland refresh when I convince my wife we don't need the Jeep.

Same here. No need to wait for something new that will have issues the first couple of years when the refined product is here right now. I love my RWD more than I thought I would suprisingly.

Reactions: kpanda17
I haven’t been keeping track with the refresh Model 3 news. Are there any improvements besides HW4? From what I have read it is basically a cost cutting update with a updated look. Same range, mcu, suspension, motors,etc… My guess is no new tech will be introduced, just an updated look?

I've beed driving a model 3 since nov 2018. I upgraded in 2022 when used prices were so high it was near zero cost. My wife boght a new model 3 in March because.... well .. she loves the car and honestly ... I think we forget that this car is really amazing - as is.

Reactions: father_of_6
I thought that drive by wire had been around in autos for a while, and not necessarily just in high-end vehicles. I remember test driving a Passat about 12 years ago where the salesperson said that the car had drive by wire. Certainly the steering of that vehicle felt a bit unusual, and not in a good way: a bit 'dead' actually. Maybe I am mistaken though and what the Passat had was a bit different from what they are now referring to as 'drive by wire'.
That was the throttle, not the steering

Aesthetically speaking I think the older M3 are pretty bad ass, the new one I HATE the grill. I also really like the looks of my M3P AND I am drawn to the simplicity and materials used in the interior. BMW's in the model 3's and 4's are loaded with plastic. I had driven only 3's, 4's and 5's for 20 plus years before my M3P and the interior just kept getting worse with the touch materials. Forget about the maintenance cost on them after 50-60k miles. I'm never looking back but as always, YMMV.

Reactions: Dayreg and pipestem
Aesthetically speaking I think the older M3 are pretty bad ass, the new one I HATE the grill. I also really like the looks of my M3P AND I am drawn to the simplicity and materials used in the interior. BMW's in the model 3's and 4's are loaded with plastic. I had driven only 3's, 4's and 5's for 20 plus years before my M3P and the interior just kept getting worse with the touch materials. Forget about the maintenance cost on them after 50-60k miles. I'm never looking back but as always, YMMV.
I loved the E36 look, but since then I've not really been a huge fan. Could just be my age and what I liked in the 90s that's just nostalgic to me though.

I've had friends who have bought them later in life but end up getting rid of them because they're a pain to keep everything working in.

Reactions: Dayreg and pipestem
I haven’t been keeping track with the refresh Model 3 news. Are there any improvements besides HW4? From what I have read it is basically a cost cutting update with a updated look. Same range, mcu, suspension, motors,etc… My guess is no new tech will be introduced, just an updated look?
If you read this entire thread, you can learn a lot more. Yeah: there's a lot of crud and snippiness, but a LOT of possibilities have been discussed.

I'm in that group. I've had the car a year now and have been happy with it. But I would not have been happy to keep my old car another year, it needed to go. Even after Highland comes out I would have waited a year for issues to be worked out with the updates. So I would have needed to wait 2 years to get the new M3. Had to pull the trigger on the M3 RWD when I did, just the timing was the worse.

At some point I may upgrade to the Highland, or to another brand once they support the Tesla charger if I don't care for the Highland. We'll see.

My wife is waiting for the M2, but I don't think her ICE car will make it.
Good point. I too wanted a mature platform, and current M3 RWD on the road since 2021 seemed like a good match.

Not that Highland would worry me all that much. Minor feature tweaks don't worry me as much as major platform changes. But there was really nothing stopping me from getting the current M3 RWD either so I took the plunge.

Reactions: pipestem
Yeah, I think that was foul playing saying "M3" on these forums but meaning a BMW. There's got to be a rule against that. Five yard penalty.
I still hate the fact that people here call a model 3 a 'M3" (cause it isnt), and you will not find me saying that. Its like calling another car a 911 or something.

The foul here is everyone calling these cars "M3" or "MY" like there is a shortage of keyboard letters or something, lol. I realize that ship sailed here a long time ago, but, a model 3 can be a great car without people trying to shove another cars brand name onto it.

I still hate the fact that people here call a model 3 a 'M3" (cause it isnt), and you will not find me saying that. Its like calling another car a 911 or something.

The foul here is everyone calling these cars "M3" or "MY" like there is a shortage of keyboard letters or something, lol. I realize that ship sailed here a long time ago, but, a model 3 can be a great car without people trying to shove another cars brand name onto it.
MY I feel is fair game because there is no other well known car name that it can be confused with. Things like M3P or M3LR also is fair game because it's not ambiguous. M3 alone is an issue because like in this case it can be confusing when speaking interchangeably with the BMW M3. I personally still call it Model 3 (although I don't correct people when they say M3 in the forums).

Reactions: GregD60 and E90alex
MY I feel is fair game because there is no other well known car name that it can be confused with. Things like M3P or M3LR also is fair game because it's not ambiguous.
M3P can sometimes be ambiguous ever since CATL called one of its battery types M3P (which is rumored to be used in the Highland Model 3 standard range for an increase in capacity from 60kWh to 66kWh).

The FSD transfer window must have cleared some old stock....also, do we know the lead time for a Highland...could be a long wait. Plus I thought that the HW4 has lots of empty slots...for chips and camera controllers...so it’s a long way from a finished product...but what car (or phone or computer etc) is?...the best is always in the future..except when it’s in the past and all of a sudden 1957 turns out to be the best year...But, if I’m honest with myself...I’d wait for the new model

Watching the inventory drop of the obsolete M3 when the new M3 coming soon. Who is actually buying these things?
Pretty obvious your logic is flawed.

Anyways……

So 3 points to counter your flawed post:

1.) Depending on your region, M3’s prices are being slashed like a horror movie. And the M3’s I’m referring to, aren’t high mileage. They’re like low mileage, 21/22 Model year with owners that have the ‘title in hand’ that are just willing to sell, being there is a very minimal market, where there just isn’t a plethora of buyers due to interest rates and inflation. Therefore, some of these cars are literally new, garage kept with low miles that are selling for well under what they’re worth. Heck, even some local dealerships, who have random M3’s on their lot, can’t sell them. And they’re having to send them to Manheim auction, even $10,000 under net value. My point is, I wouldn’t buy a brand new M3, given I’ll let somebody take the depreciation and a consumer can buy a slightly used one that hasn’t even been exposed to rain hardly.

2.) Average consumers who even owns Teslas, aren’t following the companys as close as others do on sites like this. They don’t even know what the ‘Highland update’ even is. That’s like asking someone who owns the latest iPhone, if they’re aware of the latest rumors for the next generation iPhone. They have no idea, because they don’t follow tech news and they don’t care.

3.) And I won’t even touch the topic of all these ‘take over my lease’ users on this site who are dumping their M3’s that are literally new. (But that’s neither here, nor there.)