Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ride Quality of Tesla Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why can’t tesla release the y with air suspension and charge a premium for it - it is crying out for air
A 6-9 month order backlog says they don't need to.
A supplier crisis would only get worse, with attendant logistics complications and order turbulence as orders get changed.

The better news? Teardowns of the MY have shown some reserved areas that could accommodate an air bottle for suspension.
So they've thought about it, just won't implement it until competition requires it.
And there's little competition in the next year or more (Media BS nothwithstanding)

Reactions: Terminator857
It would make a lot of sense for adjustables to be in the Performance versions of 3/Y. The premium price paid warrants premium features, this would certainly be qualifying.

The Mk 8 GTI features an electronically controlled limited-slip differential and an adaptive damping system.
The electronically controlled dampers can be adjusted with 15 possible settings, from comfortable to very hard.​
The damping system can adapt each wheel's damping by 200 times per second in response to the road condition.​

Last edited:
Is this fair to say though? The part about the 6-9 month order backlog.

I can get a Model Y in 1 month, if I am willing to pay for performance package. If this school of thought is used w/ the Hummer EV; the Hummer EV has a 3year backlog (because the 80k Hummer EV is last priority, it is backordered until 2024-2025).

I am not sure I agree with Tesla’s choices here (or any of the companies doing this), but I can’t blame them - more revenue faster. If I had to guess what Tesla is doing; they dedicate majority of output (80%+) to performance models, and build long range as time permits.

I wish they would just do FIFO.

A 6-9 month order backlog says they don't need to.
A supplier crisis would only get worse, with attendant logistics complications and order turbulence as orders get changed.

Is this fair to say though? The part about the 6-9 month order backlog.

I can get a Model Y in 1 month, if I am willing to pay for performance package. If this school of thought is used w/ the Hummer EV; the Hummer EV has a 3year backlog (because the 80k Hummer EV is last priority, it is backordered until 2024-2025).

I am not sure I agree with Tesla’s choices here (or any of the companies doing this), but I can’t blame them - more revenue faster. If I had to guess what Tesla is doing; they dedicate majority of output (80%+) to performance models, and build long range as time permits.

I wish they would just do FIFO.
I don't think Telsa build more performance editions. It is they are less desirable and sell slower.

The Y is a young family car. And that demographics will trade lower prices and a more comfortable ride when picking up kids at school or taking them to Disneyland, over performance.

You can't have a racing car specs with soft suspension. Wanna get fun when driving? Then go to gym to keep body in good shape or meet health consequences. No tesla cars are family cruisers.
Those Tesla owners who purchased the Long Range Model Y (5 seat or 7 seat) did not purchase this Tesla vehicle expecting racing car specs. The Tesla Long Range Model Y is exactly that; a 5 and 7 passenger family cruiser.

Adaptive suspension technology that adjusts the firmness of the ride according to the preference of the driver and road conditions is one solution. Air suspension is another suspension technology that Tesla already offers on Model S and Model X. Other automotive manufacturers have been offering these and related technologies for many years.

Buyers shouldn't have to spend additional money to upgrade the suspension of the Tesla Model Y for a comfortable ride. The ride quality of the Tesla Model Y is something that Tesla needs to address else buyers will look elsewhere when purchasing their next EV.

The ride comfort of the Tesla Model Y has nothing to do with the driver or passengers keeping in shape or going to a gym. Certainly entry and egress from a low slung vehicle such as the Tesla Model 3 can be challenging to taller drivers, those with joint and lower back issues. The ease of entry and egress is one of the Tesla Model Y's advantages over sports model vehicles such as the Tesla Model 3.

Last edited:
"Perfectly acceptable"? I'm not so sure. As jcanoe said, IF Tesla is trying to go more mainstream with the MY, creating a family cruiser for 5, or 7, they missed it by a wide margin because of the ride quality.

Driving solo, I don't notice the harshness at all, coming from VW/Audi with aftermarket street Bilstein struts. I quite enjoy the handling/comfort trade-off.

When I DO notice it is when any/all of my passengers grunt/groan/sigh when we encounter rough pavement...and this is with the MPP Coilovers on the softest settings.

"Perfectly acceptable"? I'm not so sure. As jcanoe said, IF Tesla is trying to go more mainstream with the MY, creating a family cruiser for 5, or 7, they missed it by a wide margin because of the ride quality.

Driving solo, I don't notice the harshness at all, coming from VW/Audi with aftermarket street Bilstein struts. I quite enjoy the handling/comfort trade-off.

When I DO notice it is when any/all of my passengers grunt/groan/sigh when we encounter rough pavement...and this is with the MPP Coilovers on the softest settings.
Perfectly acceptable to me and people I have had in the car. YMMV.

driver expectations in the North American car market aren't the same as in the middle east.
and trying to shame people into your way of thinking doesn't really work here.
I think that's the exact problem, people's expectations... Tesla has never claimed the 3/Y to be a plush mobile yet a lot of people still expect this in the face of contradictory evidence. Even after review after review stating how stiff the 3/Y's some ppl people still think there's this possibility that its gonna be comfy like a Lexus. Talk about rude awakening...

If you were changing the suspension again, would you still go with MPP or would you choose Ohlin or UPP? Trying to decide what option I want to pursue and value your opinion.