Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ride Quality of Tesla Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think that's the exact problem, people's expectations... Tesla has never claimed the 3/Y to be a plush mobile yet a lot of people still expect this in the face of contradictory evidence. Even after review after review stating how stiff the 3/Y's some ppl people still think there's this possibility that its gonna be comfy like a Lexus. Talk about rude awakening...
As well, Tesla blogs don't discourage it.
These are forums for many people to get their opinions and desires reinforced, however unrealistic or misguided.
Or just to vent from the comfort of their couch.

I'm guilty too, but there are no limiters online.

If you were changing the suspension again, would you still go with MPP or would you choose Ohlin or UPP? Trying to decide what option I want to pursue and value your opinion.
Without a side-by-side comparison, my opinion isn't valid. Lot's of variables, of course, but the best way to compare would be a side-by-side.

Tangible1: I referred to the short(ish) wheelbase in a previous thread as a contributing factor and got called out for it. All aspects have an impact: wheelbase, center of gravity, springs/dampers, bushings, short sidewall tires, PSI...

Without a side-by-side comparison, my opinion isn't valid. Lot's of variables, of course, but the best way to compare would be a side-by-side.

Tangible1: I referred to the short(ish) wheelbase in a previous thread as a contributing factor and got called out for it. All aspects have an impact: wheelbase, center of gravity, springs/dampers, bushings, short sidewall tires, PSI...
so, I'm agreeing with you !!!!
and your summary of contributing factors is valid.

the collective wisdom of a blog often depends on the loudest keyboard.
but that doesn't make it right, and our skin must be thick.

suspension is subjective. much depends on prior driver experience and driving style...(and self image).
no one gets informed by their high school Driver Education, and the Car Magazines pay scant attention.
manufacturers rarely promote their setups; Cadillac MagneRide one of the few (and a great one, under-valued)

Last edited:
Is there anyone who has driven both the 19" and 20" wheels?

Options for test drives in the UK are currently limited only to 20" wheels and after a 30min drive last night I decided not ordering the 20" wheels was definitely right for me but with no ability to actually test the 19" wheels before deliveries start in Feb I'm even starting to second guess that decision.

I can only describe the feeling as being constantly jostled and imagine that might be quite tiring over long journeys. So to anyone that has experience of both 19 and 20 I'd be interested to know how much difference it makes. I appreciate that it's probably quite hard to quantify but have to ask!

There is little diference, interestingly 19 and 20 inch wheels weigh almost the same. Interestingly when switching to much lighter 19 inch wheels for winter (about 2 kg lighter rim), the ride qualitily improves, probably also softer winter tyres help a bit.

The ride of the Tesla Model Y improves slightly over the first 5000km. The 19" OE tires have about a 1.2cm more sidewall that can help when encountering potholes. Tire pressure can be adjusted slightly higher or lower and this can improve the ride. I prefer 43 or 44 PSI or about 2 PSI higher than the recommended 42 PSI on the sticker on the driver's door pillar. Tires also make a difference; not sure what Tesla is fitting currently for vehicles sold in the UK.

Reactions: Pianewman
The Y is OK at best in terms of suspension comfort, it does very well on nice paved highways. Bring on city streets with cracks and potholes and it is rather harsh. Tires will make a huge difference as well as brand. I do know when I put on my 19" dedicated winter wheel combo the ride is noticeably better than the stock 20" inductions. So much so I am considering buying a new set of 19" wheels for summer and going with a reputable/comfortable tire once the 20" set is worn out.

Reactions: dazzap
The ride improves a bit after about 5k km / 3k miles, but it is still harsh. Had a 2020 M3P and it was more slightly more comfortable with 20s and noticeably more comfortable with 18s when I compare it with MY LR 2021 (Made in China). Some even state, that MYP with über heavy 21s rides better than MY LR with 20 inch Inductions, so go figure... 🙃

For the EU and UK, 19s are Hankook and 20s are Michelin tyres.

Reactions: dazzap
The ride of the Tesla Model Y improves slightly over the first 5000km. The 19" OE tires have about a 1.2cm more sidewall that can help when encountering potholes. Tire pressure can be adjusted slightly higher or lower and this can improve the ride. I prefer 43 or 44 PSI or about 2 PSI higher than the recommended 42 PSI on the sticker on the driver's door pillar. Tires also make a difference; not sure what Tesla is fitting currently for vehicles sold in the UK.
The 20's are Michelin Pilot Sport EV and as someone noted above 19's are Hankook although I dont know the model.

There is little diference, interestingly 19 and 20 inch wheels weigh almost the same. Interestingly when switching to much lighter 19 inch wheels for winter (about 2 kg lighter rim), the ride qualitily improves, probably also softer winter tyres help a bit.
Is there anyone who has driven both the 19" and 20" wheels?

Options for test drives in the UK are currently limited only to 20" wheels and after a 30min drive last night I decided not ordering the 20" wheels was definitely right for me but with no ability to actually test the 19" wheels before deliveries start in Feb I'm even starting to second guess that decision.

I can only describe the feeling as being constantly jostled and imagine that might be quite tiring over long journeys. So to anyone that has experience of both 19 and 20 I'd be interested to know how much difference it makes. I appreciate that it's probably quite hard to quantify but have to ask!
I have an almost 2022 MYLR 19” wheels. I recently had it in for service for a week because of a leaky hatch. They gave me a 2020 MYLR for 20” for a week. The my 2021 is a way better ride all around.

• Funny
Reactions: Noflash
I've been toying with the idea of ditching my 2018 M3 for an MY now for about a year but can't pull the trigger due to Tesla not offering an adaptive suspension option on the Model Y.

I've driven performance oriented cars for years but the suspension on the Model 3 is about as firm as I can take in something I use with the family.

The hard suspension also means that all rattles/squeaks in the vehicle are worse and more noticeable.

Hopefully we'll see some kind of mild refresh by middle of next year that includes longer range and some kind of suspension option. I'd like to get out of my Model 3 before the battery deteriorates too much.

I agree. factory 19" and 20" are pretty close ride-wise. Yes, the 19's are probably slightly softer. That said, there's a better variety of tires to chose from in the 20" size and tire-to-tire differences might be more than 19 vs 20.

I've been toying with the idea of ditching my 2018 M3 for an MY now for about a year but can't pull the trigger due to Tesla not offering an adaptive suspension option on the Model Y.

I've driven performance oriented cars for years but the suspension on the Model 3 is about as firm as I can take in something I use with the family.

The hard suspension also means that all rattles/squeaks in the vehicle are worse and more noticeable.

Hopefully we'll see some kind of mild refresh by middle of next year that includes longer range and some kind of suspension option. I'd like to get out of my Model 3 before the battery deteriorates too much.
I was in the same situation, debating upgrading my 2018 M3 to a MY for over a year. I had also been holding out for an updated suspension and increased range but ultimately decided that with the elevated value of used cars right now and some of the recent updates to the MY, to pull the trigger. I still get a heatpump, HW3, AMD MCU, Li-on 12v, front double glazed windows, heated steering wheel, Bioweapon defense and a few other upgrades.

I would say that you still get a lot of road feedback with the MYLR suspension but due to increased tire sidewall (19" tires on MY vs 19" tires on M3) I feel like the big thumps are dampened a bit in comparison.

The biggest improvement for me though has been the much more solid build quality on the MY. I had probably spent a solid year sound deadening and hunting down rattles, squeaks, creaks and never was able to resolve all of them in my M3. The MY doesn't have any of that (yet) so my enjoyment is already higher.

Ultimately, I still would like an upgraded suspension option and decided to order another MY as soon as I took delivery of my current MY. I figure it's a $250 hedge to see if 4680/range increase and some sort of adaptive suspension is released before my July EDD.