Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Rumor]Tesla is reducing speed of Supercharging as your Tesla gets older

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't call bs I call gm ....or ford...or any other Dino car maker that really doesn't want to sell electric cars.... oh the bolt ...compliance car

I have had my Tesla Model S 90D since December 2015, driven 95.000 km, and it is the greatest car I have ever had. I love Tesla and I am active in the Danish Tesla forum (Teslaforum.dk). The reason for posting here is to get access to more owners meaning more data. I am not a troll.

Thanks for your contribution:)

As I wrote in my initial post it seems to be the new battery chemistry introduced in the first 90Ds where the most significant changes in peak are registered.

It will be interesting to see if we can see some patterns when we have more data.

You know now that I think about it I could see this being the case for the 90 kwh packs. They don't charge as fast at the bottom end either according to other owners. I look forward to seeing the results.

I have had my Tesla Model S 90D since December 2015, driven 95.000 km, and it is the greatest car I have ever had. I love Tesla and I am active in the Danish Tesla forum (Teslaforum.dk). The reason for posting here is to get access to more owners meaning more data. I am not a troll.

FYI: you might get better traction if you post a photo of the response from Tesla engineering on your issue. Assuming it was in writing on your service reciept or something.

Reactions: Atebit
As your Tesla gets older the maximum kW you experience while charging at the SuC will drop and charging take longer. Unofficially several Tesla employees have explained this as a limitation that has been implemented to protect the battery, but the details of the "algorithm" seem to be unknown and officially Tesla has never explained themselves in this matter.

Personally I find it unacceptable Tesla makes such changes to my car post purchase. What is next - reduced acceleration when they get concerned about the wear and tear from too many quick starts?

It seems that something happens once you pass approx. 30-40.000 miles. The charging curve changes and especially those with the new battery chemistry introduced in the 90D back in 2015 seem to be hit hard by the preventive measures. Several 90' owners report a drop from a max of 115 kW to 96 kW once they passed approx 50.000 km.

I have prepared a Google Sheet in which I hope those of you with a high mileage (+30.000 miles) will maintain your SuC charging statistics at least once - and especially those with 90Ds. Note there are 2 tabs, one for metric (km) and another for imperial (miles) - just make your pick. Make sure the battery is warm and not sharing a pair of stalls.

Tesla Supercharging Speeds

Please do no highjack this thread with all the usual comments about battery temperature, sharing stalls etc. I know how all these things influence charge speed and can assure you it has been taken into account.

I'm surprised at the negative tone of replies. After reading the 691 HP threads and the Launch mode / Power limit thread you'd think people would be at least a little open to the possibility that something is happening.

Your data set is small but you didn't say you had proof, you said you had a theory (as explained to you by someone else) and would like more data to prove or disprove. Seems logical to me. Live long and prosper.

I'm surprised at the negative tone of replies. After reading the 691 HP threads and the Launch mode / Power limit thread you'd think people would be at least a little open to the possibility that something is happening.

Your data set is small but you didn't say you had proof, you said you had a theory (as explained to you by someone else) and would like more data to prove or disprove. Seems logical to me. Live long and prosper.
Like I said. If it were there, it would have been found already.

This makes no sense. Zero. Sorry, just doesn't. Rate of charge is not the issue with maintaining battery life - but rather things like sitting at 100% for extended periods or zeroing out on a regular basis.

Did you talk to Tesla Engineering? Or someone at a local store?

As cells age, their IR increases which results in more heat at the same rate of charge when older than when newer. So it does make sense but it doesn't mean you can't charge the previous faster rate, it just means the battery will degrade faster if it experiences more heat over the same period of charging.

That said, I would assume that this is baked into the cost of the battery and the cost to warranty it. Tesla never told me that my car would charge slower as it ages which it does in fact now do. I just posted a partial curve in another thread 3 days ago showing how my car is charging at a slower rate at each each corresponding SOC now vs when it was new.

.. and this is somehow bad ?

My Lexus does not have the same level of acceleration that it had now at 100K miles as much as it was when it was new.

My 1995 Lexus which I sold two years ago with 334K miles on it accelerated very slightly faster than when it was brand new according to my g-tech pro. ICE cars shouldn't lose power with age provided they are properly maintained.

Thanks for your contribution:)

As I wrote in my initial post it seems to be the new battery chemistry introduced in the first 90Ds where the most significant changes in peak are registered.

It will be interesting to see if we can see some patterns when we have more data.

The 90 batteries introduced Silicon into the chemistry to increase capacity which is a known battery life de-grader. Tesla has yet to explain how they avoided accelerated degradation from this change. I'm not convinced they did avoid faster degradation so it makes sense they'd do what they can to slow it. Lithium Ion batteries with Silicon also have faster increases in IR as they age which results in even more heat during charging.

As cells age, their IR increases which results in more heat at the same rate of charge when older than when newer. So it does make sense but it doesn't mean you can't charge the previous faster rate, it just means the battery will degrade faster if it experiences more heat over the same period of charging.

That said, I would assume that this is baked into the cost of the battery and the cost to warranty it. Tesla never told me that my car would charge slower as it ages which it does in fact now do. I just posted a partial curve in another thread 3 days ago showing how my car is charging at a slower rate at each each corresponding SOC now vs when it was new.
So, to clarify - are you saying that supercharging in general, since it is at a higher rate of charge, is degrading the battery each time?

Given the increase in IR, for the same load, you get less energy out of the battery. Thus at the same "charge rate" you actually get less energy out of the pack. Tesla's response may have been referring to that.

Also most lithium ion chargers use constant current constant voltage (CCCV). A different IR may change the voltage at the CC stage, which may change charge power naturally.

new.jpg

The OP made some unsubstantiated claims (the change point being 30-40k), which is why the backlash.

Last edited:
I clicked on the title of this thread because I have noticed that SCs in Southern California seem to be running closer to 90kW lately, I was in Hawthorne last night and arrived at 60 miles left and plugged in and the maximum was 91kW when I seem to remember it being closer to 120kW before.

I've also seen strange behavior in Redondo Beach a week or so ago and in Santa Ana as well.

We have over 72k miles on our S (2013). Santa Ana has been "flaky" lately, but not sure about Redondo.

I assume (bad idea usually) that Tesla's charge algorithms take into account battery temperature as well as max current and voltage, as shown above. If a battery changes, then it is expected that the charging will change to keep the battery temp/current/voltage inside its parameters. It is possible the 90 batteries age differently than others. Still, rather than characterizing this as anything nefarious, it seems to me to be a good thing: maximizing battery life.

Reactions: abasile
Given the increase in IR, for the same load, you get less energy out of the battery. Thus at the same "charge rate" you actually get less energy out of the pack. Tesla's response may have been referring to that.

The OP made some unsubstantiated claims (the change point being 30-40k), which is why the backlash.

Yes, but you also charge less efficiently. You lose a higher percentage of the charge that goes in as IR increases resulting in more energy wasted as heat.