Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rumour: Model 3/Y to lose stalks in 2023 model year

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
existing stalks work perfectly well and are high quality - this does NOT need to be changed or "innovated" on
Agree, stop making change just for the sake of change. Turn signal stalks and round steering wheel have worked fine for a century. I have watched numerous videos on these changes and it is not better no matter how someone tries to spin it.

To find a leap forward you need to be open to the fact that the solution in front of you may not be the best one.

You also need to accept that not every change is for the better.

Even the current indicator stalk doesn't work as predictably or well as that of other makes of car becauses they messed with it. This isn't when "I'm turning left, click left on the indicator", this is "I'm turning right at a roundabout. I indicate right, I start to drive around the roundabout and I now want to indicate left as I'm about to take the next exit" - it's hit and miss if it works, probably linked to whether its done 3 flashes of not at the time you want to change indicator direction, and the last thing any driver should be doing when driving is counting how many times the indicator has clicked.

Someone mentioned doing away with the instrument cluster - and even Tesla think its the better solution to have one which is why they provide one in their premium cars.

To find a leap forward you need to be open to the fact that the solution in front of you may not be the best one.
Yes, I agree.
What leap forward is it that you’re hoping to achieve int his case, though?
Or rather, what problem is it that needs solving?

Ultimately, I would prefer the stalkless layout to be optional. I would hate to be forced down that route.

I think its quite clear that Tesla often want to be different for the sake of it, not because it actually results in a better user experience. This is just another step towards them doing things different because they want to, not because anyone asked for it.

I think its quite clear that Tesla often want to be different for the sake of it, not because it actually results in a better user experience. This is just another step towards them doing things different because they want to, not because anyone asked for it.
It's their free marketing budget

Make a wild change, lots of people talk about it. The whole 0-60 thing was predicated on free marketing. The MX doors. The light show. The Boombox.

What gets me is the story originates from a picture of the semi cabin and has nothing to do with M3 and MY somebodies speculation which has now become "the truth". There would be a real sense of irony if something somebody essentially made up and Tesla haven't said becomes true quicker than Musks prophecy of self driving cars which he's been telling for years (even if the relative complexity are massively different).

Why did you buy one then? Surely it's because of at least some of those differences. I know I wouldn't be interested if Tesla wasn't different to other makes.

Yes, I agree.
What leap forward is it that you’re hoping to achieve int his case, though?
Or rather, what problem is it that needs solving?

Ultimately, I would prefer the stalkless layout to be optional. I would hate to be forced down that route.
The problem that needs solving is simple. Profit.

Tesla decides that you no longer need "expensive" stalks, with complex wiring to allow stalks to function.

They delete stalks, and keep the car at the same price, with some crappy buttons and one ugly, easily worn-out yolk for all vehicle models .

They now offer you the old-fashioned, non-hipster way of signalling, using wipers, turning the car safely etc - but charge another £400 for the privilege.

Ker-ching!

Reactions: MashinBenzin
The problem that needs solving is simple. Profit.

Tesla decides that you no longer need "expensive" stalks, with complex wiring to allow stalks to function.

They delete stalks, and keep the car at the same price, with some crappy buttons and one ugly, easily worn-out yolk for all vehicle models .

They now offer you the old-fashioned, non-hipster way of signalling, using wipers, turning the car safely etc - but charge another £400 for the privilege.

Ker-ching!
They could just ask you to open your window and stick your arm out to signal your intentions. It has worked for those on bicycles for years. Another cost saving.

Reactions: CWT3LR
Because it felt like an overall good package at the time. There's a reason mine's on Carwow for sale right this minute. I've had enough of it.
I understand what you are saying. At least you will most likely make a profit on your sale. I think bad times are coming for Tesla as the competition ramps up their product line with customer service and quality that puts Tesla to shame.