Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rumour: Model 3/Y to lose stalks in 2023 model year

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Probably worth watching Bjorn's videos on headlights on YouTube, he has demoed several cars that give a clear indication of just how better these systems are.
I've seen them, I'm sceptical on the real benefit. As the driver you feel that you've got a better view as it's illuminated a very long way into the sides of the road. It achieves nothing much better for the road however as that's where the other cars are. As I drive on the road I don't see how it's much benefit, gives false confidence. Take this image as an example, the car has simply managed to illuminate more trees unnecessarily.

1662043144306.png

What he doesn't show is the experience for other drivers, my experience is that it's often worse, distinctly distracting. I can't really say for sure that's all systems, as if there was one that wasn't distracting I wouldn't notice it, but I do generally notice it's Audi's that seem to be a problem.

Reactions: Obie
I can't say I've personally noticed. Perhaps the odd oncoming car looks like it briefly has headlights on, but not to the extent where I feel like I need to flash them. It certainly isn't a regular occurance for me even coming across cars (e.g. Audis, BMWs, etc) that almost certainly have those systems running.

Obviously different strokes for different folks, and it perhaps sounds a bit selfish but as long as I'm not blinding anyone then I'm keen for my surroundings to be as illuminated as possible. I'd also argue that being able to see the trees more clearly would help with rural roads with animals (or people) running out.

I've had cars with cornering lights (ones that move according to the steering wheel) and they have been nice as well.

Some of these systems project stuff on the road too, like a HUD of sorts, to remind the driver of hazards, etc. That's another level beyond what we're talking about though.

Reactions: MashinBenzin
Seeing the side of the road more clearly seems a massive benefit to me. Better ability to see if people were walking along the road, or cyclists, a deer at the side of the road which could run out, lots of additional information that may be relevant to the drive. Why would you not want that?

It’s kind of funny, I suspect if Tesla had done it, it would be seen as great, but as Tesla haven’t... What was the line about innovation and being stuck with what you’ve always had? Dunlop and tyres?

I've seen them, I'm sceptical on the real benefit. As the driver you feel that you've got a better view as it's illuminated a very long way into the sides of the road. It achieves nothing much better for the road however as that's where the other cars are. As I drive on the road I don't see how it's much benefit, gives false confidence. Take this image as an example, the car has simply managed to illuminate more trees unnecessarily.

View attachment 847863

What he doesn't show is the experience for other drivers, my experience is that it's often worse, distinctly distracting. I can't really say for sure that's all systems, as if there was one that wasn't distracting I wouldn't notice it, but I do generally notice it's Audi's that seem to be a problem.
surely that picture is not the most relevant use case. Having nothing in front of you but cars coming the other way but still being able to fully illuminate the side of the road you are driving on a long way in front of you is the main benefit?

I had fully adaptive led lights on my previous BMW X3, they were brilliant. You would just bang them on full beam and let them get on with the job at hand. I can’t recall ever being flashed at and I mostly drive B roads. It would be great is Tesla introduced them and managed to do them well. Matrix lights really do make a huge difference especially on B roads where you are on the consistent look out for animals on the verge!

I had fully adaptive led lights on my previous BMW X3, they were brilliant. You would just bang them on full beam and let them get on with the job at hand. I can’t recall ever being flashed at and I mostly drive B roads. It would be great is Tesla introduced them and managed to do them well. Matrix lights really do make a huge difference especially on B roads where you are on the consistent look out for animals on the verge!

Do they dip before an approaching car comes around the corner ... or do they rapidly react as the other car's lights are revealed? They do sound amazing! The Tesla auto dipping lights are just not useable on country roads (in fact I don't use them anywhere).

Do they dip before an approaching car comes around the corner ... or do they rapidly react as the other car's lights are revealed? They do sound amazing! The Tesla auto dipping lights are just not useable on country roads (in fact I don't use them anywhere).

As a car approaches it will dip the area that the car is in, then as it comes closer it will dip more area and more area until the one side is totally dipped. Leaving the other side on full beam.

Likewise if you come up behind a car it will blank the beam directly in-front and wrap the beam around the car in-front of you.

This video is a bit long winded but shows it well

Reactions: Aellinsar
CC0E644D-E7FA-41E6-8373-67EE0353A510.png
You can see it in the U.K. on this comparison video - you might need to skip to about 4mins in for the headlights but it shows cornering, countering lights, dipping for oncoming cars etc in the competitor cars.

Edited: this is the shot that caught my attention, full beam but with a box around the car in front (picture at top)

Last edited:
As a car approaches it will dip the area that the car is in, then as it comes closer it will dip more area and more area until the one side is totally dipped. Leaving the other side on full beam.

Likewise if you come up behind a car it will blank the beam directly in-front and wrap the beam around the car in-front of you.

This video is a bit long winded but shows it well

It would be interesting to see the view from the other car as the BMW approaches ... just to see how fast it changes and if there is still a momentary glare or not.

It would be interesting to see the view from the other car as the BMW approaches ... just to see how fast it changes and if there is still a momentary glare or not.
Yeah that’s a fair comment, I would add that you can actually see the beam adjusting and blanking out. So I would say it’s almost instant but as ever adjusting full beam manually or automatically there may always be a moment of glare. 🤷‍♂️

You said you were not aware of any yokes. We easily found several, from big makers. There's more if you search harder.

The point is the competition IS often following what Tesla is up to, and yokes are a real tangible example of that.

And I don't even like the yoke. Not a fanboy on it. Just seeing reality.
I think the phrase that Americans are wont to use is - "horseshit".

Reactions: MashinBenzin
Tesla are not building a car with driver assistance features, their aim is to reach an autonomous car, that influences lots of their decisions. It's a common theme that the features claim is missing are generally features that would either not help or even harm their aim to build an autonomous car.

Hud/360 camera/Instrument Panel are all things to help a human driver, so not top priority
Legacy sensors like radar, IR rain detectors that need human calibration are working against their goal (I wonder if Matrix headlights also make it unnecessarily confusing for the AI)
Carplay/AndroidAuto would probably also be in that legacy mindset, it's not a lack of technical ability that means they aren't included.
I guess the fact the headlights can display "Tesla" on the garage wall is integral to development of autonomous cars. Ranks as highly as fart sounds and GPS maps of Mars in pushing the autonomy envelope.

Having never had a car equipped with Matrix lights, but having been a car driving in front or towards Audi's with the feature I would say that it's not nearly accurate enough and creates significant distraction for me. Having the hedgerows in front of me illuminated from behind is uncomfortable, and there are distinct colour weirdness when you are just at the edge of a segment.
Watching any headlight, even matrix-led lights would hurt the eyes, so driving at night requires extra attention. Tesla is lagging in dipping speed, where it constantly takes an extra second or two to dip compared to German cars and Volvo.

I guess the fact the headlights can display "Tesla" on the garage wall is integral to development of autonomous cars. Ranks as highly as fart sounds and GPS maps of Mars in pushing the autonomy envelope.
I'm not sure I see any relevance in this comment, it clearly does no harm to autonomy. I assume these things come from interns or hackathons, and offer some costless marketing benefit.

I'm not sure I see any relevance in this comment, it clearly does no harm to autonomy. I assume these things come from interns or hackathons, and offer some costless marketing benefit.
It’s a bit like Boris saying people should buy more energy efficient kettles so they can save £10 a year during this energy crisis.

Lightshows projecting “TESLA” probably aren’t done by senior engineers, as you say, but it’s an irritating reminder of the fact that the basics don’t work properly, yet there’s effort (any effort) being expended on stuff that’s designed to entertain everyone else except the owner who bought the damn thing.

Bah humbug.