Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Salvage fast charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you actually want to read about the many discussions here, simply search TMC for "rebuilt" or "Salvage". With that being said, there is very little point in discussing it here as nothing anyone says here will do anything to change tesla's stance.

Maybe you should sue tesla and challenge their right to do this? Much more productive than having another discussion on this topic on TMC, for sure.

In any case, to read about the various discussions here on this topic, just search for the two words I posted above, and uncheck "this forum only". should get you plenty of reading material on the topic of rebuilt / salvage model 3s.

There is a lot of conjecture on this topic but I would think Tesla's stance on this is based on safety. They do not know that the high voltage system in a salvage car is mechanically and electronically sound. Joe Mechanic down the street may have zip-tied some HV connections together instead of proper fasteners which may cause the car to go boom at a supercharger - and no one wants that to happen.

They are leaving money on the table though. Tesla should charge a fee for a salvage HV/battery inspection and if the car passes, they should give the owner the option to re-enable paid supercharging on the car.

They are leaving money on the table though. Tesla should charge a fee for a salvage HV/battery inspection and if the car passes, they should give the owner the option to re-enable paid supercharging on the car.

They used to have a more comprehensive recertification program, but it cost almost $3,000 and people complained a lot about it. The reason it cost so much is they essentially had to tear the car down to check everything and then reassemble it. (Actually Tesla didn't do it, you had to find a certified body shop to tear it down, check things, and take a lot of pictures that were sent to Tesla along with a report from the body shop.)

But even with that they didn't re-enable Supercharging, it only got you access to buying parts, firmware updates, and Tesla doing paid for repairs. (Now for the most part that is all free, you get updates, can order parts, Tesla will perform recalls free of charge, and paid for repairs on anything not involving the HV systems without an inspection. And they have a HV inspection that costs ~$500 that if passed will allow you to pay them to work on the HV systems as well.)

The only thing you can't get is Supercharging. It seems that they feel that that should be a privilege only afforded to clean title vehicles, which given it is a service they provide is their right. (Supercharging isn't a profit center, so they really aren't leaving money on the table, they just aren't subsidizing fast charging for branded titled vehicles.)

What if they said they would provide Supercharging for vehicles with a branded title if they passed the HV inspection, but it would cost double what is charged for vehicles with a clean title? Would you find that acceptable?

Reactions: lowtoast
There is a lot of conjecture on this topic but I would think Tesla's stance on this is based on safety.

Of course they play the safety card as it is so shrouded in mystery about what makes things safe. In reality, the car already goes through a series of checks to ensure it is safe to charge. It's part of the BMS. The only reason Tesla does this is to depress the value of salvaged cars. The fact that they restrict where you can charge the car (keep in mind this block affects your ability to charge at any DCFC, not just a supercharger) is absurd. Their resistance to allowing people to diagnose and fix their own cars bolsters this stance that this is mostly a self-serving restriction; it has little to do with the well-being or safety of anyone.

Reactions: AMPd
Thats all great, but one question.
I buy salvage car and renew chademo not in official way, who does care about it?
not sure I fully understand the question but imagine this scenario

Salvage tesla has some sort of issue that increases risk of fire when charging at high kilowatts/amps/power

Salvage tesla catches on fire and kills the occupants during the charging.

The news headlines nor story will EVER mention that it was a poorly repaired salvage model. The news will ONLY report "TESLA CATCHES FIRE AND KILLS BABY IN THE BACK".

Imagine THAT impact on the company.

I can confirm on my model 3 I'm able to use the chademo adapter at a DC fast charger, but not supercharge.
It could be different for the model S.
If we get a fast CCS adapter, it'll be almost as good as supercharging.

That's very interesting. Someone in my local FB group reported the same thing.
I know someone, I think wk057 had mentioned that there is code/config values that have existed since ~2017 that toggles supercharge and other-dcfc separately, but they've didn't work. Maybe Tesla finally finished the feature? Need to hear from someone with a salvage S to see if they can DCFC.

The funny thing here is that we have seen non-Tesla cars using the SC network. For what we know, those cars could be salvage. But a salvage Tesla won't be able to use it. Looks like a disadvantage just for Teslas.

I can confirm on my model 3 I'm able to use the chademo adapter at a DC fast charger, but not supercharge.
It could be different for the model S.
If we get a fast CCS adapter, it'll be almost as good as supercharging.

Please correct me if I’m wrong but from reading over this topic..
Tesla has restricted 3rd party rapid charging
So for example Shell recharge here in UK offer speeds of 150kwh - I will never get this speed in my salvage m3 because Tesla have capped it?