Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Satonic Soft Close Frunk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anybody have experience with the new Satonic Soft Close Frunk kit? From what I can see, the soft close mechanism doesn't involve the latch spring or cable. Supposedly, the mechanism closes the hood and then releases. I would assume this would reduce any issues about the hood getting stuck.

Clarification, please. The OEM doesn't have any sort of emergency manual release, does it?
No but some of these kits come with a emergency manual release cable (Tlylard does not). @Jhom is suggesting that you can just make your own by using a bike brake cable or similar and run it from the OE latch to the tow hook cover. Check out Hansshow's installation video starting around the 1:30 mark on how everything connects to the OE latch including their manual release cable.

Reactions: Jhom and zoomer0056
Upvote 0
Clarification, please. The OEM doesn't have any sort of emergency manual release, does it?
For some reason Tesla decided that the current latch mechanism is all that is needed. There is no easy emergency manual release for the hood. It is the same with the back passenger doors. My thought is to use either a bicycle shifter or brake cable to fashion a useable emergency manual hood release.

Upvote 0
For some reason Tesla decided that the current latch mechanism is all that is needed. There is no easy emergency manual release for the hood. It is the same with the back passenger doors. My thought is to use either a bicycle shifter or brake cable to fashion a useable emergency manual hood release.
2023 MYLR has manual release for rear door. It's just you need to pop open a panel. Refer Tesla owners manual

Upvote 0
My Feb 2022 MSLR has emergency pulls for the rear passenger doors below the seat for each door.
My Feb 2022 MSLR has emergency pulls for the rear passenger doors below the seat for each door.
The 3 and Y have had emergency pulls but they were hidden and difficult to get to. Cheap and simple aftermarket solutions that make them more accessible are now readily available. But, it is up to the owner to install them. They should have been there in the first place.

Upvote 0
The 3 and Y have had emergency pulls but they were hidden and difficult to get to. Cheap and simple aftermarket solutions that make them more accessible are now readily available. But, it is up to the owner to install them. They should have been there in the first place.
I want to correct myself. According to the current Model 3 manual, it doesn't have the emergency pulls. Also, I'm glad to hear that the 2023 Model Y has better access to the emergency pulls. In my 2022 Model YP, you needed a tool to forcibly pry open the access door to get to the pull.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Upvote 0
I ordered one through AliExpress and installed it today. Easy install. Works great! Definitely the way to go. The way it is designed it will not cause the latch to be locked when you lose power. All it does is it pulls down until it locks into place and then lets go. It is held by the car's original mechanism so there is no risk of anything getting stuck.

All you do is set the hood down and it will pull it close. No extra buttons to push and a setting to be enabled. It just works.

Upvote 0
I ordered one through AliExpress and installed it today. Easy install. Works great! Definitely the way to go. The way it is designed it will not cause the latch to be locked when you lose power. All it does is it pulls down until it locks into place and then lets go. It is held by the car's original mechanism so there is no risk of anything getting stuck.

All you do is set the hood down and it will pull it close. No extra buttons to push and a setting to be enabled. It just works.
I'll be installing it on my 2022 MSLR in a week or so.

Upvote 0

Is there a chance of it pulling the hood down to lock into place but won't let go?

Reactions: zoomer0056
Upvote 0
Is there a chance of it pulling the hood down to lock into place but won't let go?
Any part can fail. If the motor gets completely stuck it might cause an issue. It would have to fail right in the moment when pulling it down and before it releases. And it would have to fail in a way that the motor completely seizes up. Seems rather unlikely. Time will tell.

Reactions: zoomer0056 and Jhom
Upvote 0
Any part can fail. If the motor gets completely stuck it might cause an issue. It would have to fail right in the moment when pulling it down and before it releases. And it would have to fail in a way that the motor completely seizes up. Seems rather unlikely. Time will tell.
I agree. I was thinking about making a manual release cable for the OEM latch but have decided against it because of security issues. A manual release will allow anyone to open the frunk. I'll play my odds with the Tlyard soft close lock just as I'm playing the odds against the the OEM latch motor failing.

Upvote 0
I agree. I was thinking about making a manual release cable for the OEM latch but have decided against it because of security issues. A manual release will allow anyone to open the frunk. I'll play my odds with the Tlyard soft close lock just as I'm playing the odds against the the OEM latch motor failing.
I had the same thought on the security side. Will give it some more thought but I still like the idea of a manual release cable. Maybe there is somewhere better to tuck one?

If the frunk was stuck, is there a way to get at the latch from underneath the car or elsewhere (with the assumption that you have to take a few things apart) to be able to reach up there)?

Upvote 0
I had the same thought on the security side. Will give it some more thought but I still like the idea of a manual release cable. Maybe there is somewhere better to tuck one?

If the frunk was stuck, is there a way to get at the latch from underneath the car or elsewhere (with the assumption that you have to take a few things apart) to be able to reach up there)?
There is a YT video that was recently posted that showed a user detailing how to get to the OEM latch motor via the front driver-side wheel well. Looks cumbersome but doable. Supposedly, there is a Tesla tool for getting open a stuck lock, but I haven't found much info about how to use it. It looks like a long bar with a claw.

Also, after reviewing some older Model X YT videos, I now realize why Tesla got rid of the manual release cables for the MY frunk and went all electronic. It's a security issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: audiohs
Upvote 0