Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Scan My Tesla, a CANBUS reader for Android

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone have any ideas here? I've been using SMT for several years in my 2013 P85+ and it's always worked great. So when I purchased a new Raven LR a few weeks ago I installed a new cable adapter (for 2015 and newer) and a new ODB2 bluetooth module. It was working fine for a few days but for some reason it's no longer initializing when I start the SMT app. I know the bluetooth module is working because TM Spy still connects and works fine but I only get the following when I start the SMT app:

Creating bluetooth socket...
Connecting to OBD2 adapter OBDII...
Initializing adapter...
Connecting to car...
Adapter error ?

>
Using ELM327 command set
Setting filters
Getting DC Charge total...

No data for 30 sec. Restarting...
Disposing socket...

and this just repeats over and over.

I'm using the LZLRUN OBS Super mini BT scanner

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0746H9Y9Z/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sometimes I have to fire up the app for the OBD2 adaptor first.

Anyone have any ideas here? I've been using SMT for several years in my 2013 P85+ and it's always worked great. So when I purchased a new Raven LR a few weeks ago I installed a new cable adapter (for 2015 and newer) and a new ODB2 bluetooth module. It was working fine for a few days but for some reason it's no longer initializing when I start the SMT app. I know the bluetooth module is working because TM Spy still connects and works fine but I only get the following when I start the SMT app:

Connecting to OBD2 adapter OBDII...
Initializing adapter...
Connecting to car...
Adapter error ?

>
Using ELM327 command set
Setting filters
Getting DC Charge total...

No data for 30 sec. Restarting...
Disposing socket...

and this just repeats over and over.

I'm using the LZLRUN OBS Super mini BT scanner

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0746H9Y9Z/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Is that one of the "cheap" scanners that has a lower frame rate?

Very strange, if it used to work recently. Check the 'ATMA before filters' setting in the left menu, maybe you accidentally changed that? Try with it both on and off, the initialization / detection of canbus speed is depending on this, and different adapters may need it on, or off.

Reactions: Daniel Smith
@amund7 would this (your app, the harness, and the ODB bluetooth thing) be a good substitute to tesla-apiscraper/teslafi? I set up tesla-apiscraper, but sometimes crashes, can't collect data when in place with no cell reception, limited to API data. I was thinking of leaving an Android phone in the car dedicated to collecting data when driving/charging and then porting the data over to influxDB, so it replaces what tesla-apiscraper does but uses the same Grafana dashboard and reformat the data to use the same database structure.

@amund7 would this (your app, the harness, and the ODB bluetooth thing) be a good substitute to tesla-apiscraper/teslafi? I set up tesla-apiscraper, but sometimes crashes, can't collect data when in place with no cell reception, limited to API data. I was thinking of leaving an Android phone in the car dedicated to collecting data when driving/charging and then porting the data over to influxDB, so it replaces what tesla-apiscraper does but uses the same Grafana dashboard and reformat the data to use the same database structure.

Yes! We have startet work on implementing streaming data to Teslalogger. Have a look at EV Langzeit Diagnostik – TESLALOGGER – EMDS

Already available is my (very beta) tools to crunch log files and upload to InfluxDB:
amund7/ScanMyTeslaToInfluxDB

• Informative
Reactions: Darren S
Thank you.
I will search further when i get home.
I did see a black cable at the right but seemed stuck behind the black plastic thingy.
I didn't try to pull it because i feared i could brake something, can i pull it?
I think you have about 6-12" to play with in there. But it is up there, both the ODBII-like connector and the round connector that is a disguised Ethernet interface.

I think you have about 6-12" to play with in there. But it is up there, both the ODBII-like connector and the round connector that is a disguised Ethernet interface.

This is what i have. (check pic)
20191028_193149 (Copy).jpg

I tried to pull those two wires you can see on the right, but they are stuck in there.

Any ideas???

MX+ is mentioned on his site: Scan my Tesla: scan my tesla - Adapters
OBDLink MX bluetooth will give the fastest, smoothest screen updates and best resolution logs. ODBLink LX bluetooth also seems to work just as well with Scan My Tesla. The only difference seems to be that the MX supports more brand CANBUS protocols such as Ford and GM.

Also, the new OBDLink MX+ supports BLE, meaning it can support Iphone applications as well.

below via: OBDLink® MX+ | OBDLink® | OBD Solutions
mOSQIH1.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Darren S