Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Scan My Tesla, a CANBUS reader for Android

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This may or may not work and related to other apps I use.

Quote: This sounds like your device entered doze mode, a new feature on Android 6.0+. Doze mode is a battery optimization setting that restricts network access in background services and apps to help conserve battery. To avoid this, you must disable battery optimizations for the app 'Scan My Tesla' explicitly yourself. You can get to this setting easily by going to the Settings screen in the app and touching the Battery Optimizations menu option under the Background Services group.

Will give it a shot and report back, thanks

Took me a few minutes to figure this out.

I picked up the OBDLink LX.

The OBDII port used for this is under the MCU behind the cubby. NOT the port by the drivers left foot. That port will give you time out errors.

Also, a cable is needed. I purchased one from eBay that was pre-made for this.

Tesla CAN Diagnostic Cable MS/MX Sept-2015+ Crimped OBDII | eBay

Hoping the cable shows up soon, I'm excited to finally have some more instrumentation on the car!

Last edited:
Reactions: amund7
So it's not the doze mode causing it to drop out. I test and samething, after a few minutes running in the background it losses function.
For example when I open the go into the window that shows open applications to select it, the screen is completely blank. When clicking on it it relaunches the application.
Doing it in the first couple minutes still shows active data before selecting it.

Maybe there is something wrong with my csv file output because as I get them they don't make much sense and are actually pretty useless as they are. Can someone look at their CSV output file and see if it's the same as mine?
There is no way I can plot battery power vs SOC for example. if I filter all non-blank rows for SOC, power will be filtered out.

@amund7 Was this design intended? Could you not make it so that all the data is populated for each row even if you slow down the rate at which it's recorded? It would make this recording feature much more usable.

Screenshot:
upload_2019-7-26_15-55-46.png

So it's not the doze mode causing it to drop out. I test and samething, after a few minutes running in the background it losses function.
For example when I open the go into the window that shows open applications to select it, the screen is completely blank. When clicking on it it relaunches the application.
Doing it in the first couple minutes still shows active data before selecting it.

Hi,

Android decides when to close background apps, due to cpu load, free memory etc. I can't say I had this problem with my phones, but maybe I didn't try running very heavy apps on top.

Early in the development I tried registering the app as a 'Service', among other things, to force it to be kept running in the background. I could not figure out the right way to do that, none of the methods I tried worked. Tips are welcome.

Maybe there is something wrong with my csv file output because as I get them they don't make much sense and are actually pretty useless as they are. Can someone look at their CSV output file and see if it's the same as mine?
There is no way I can plot battery power vs SOC for example. if I filter all non-blank rows for SOC, power will be filtered out.

@amund7 Was this design intended? Could you not make it so that all the data is populated for each row even if you slow down the rate at which it's recorded? It would make this recording feature much more usable.
View attachment 434495

This is how and when data comes from the car. What do you want in the blank rows? The same number as the previous in that column? It will make your graphs look very strange. But I'm sure you can cook up a VBScript that fills them like that.

If you think Excel is useless, I suggest you use something better, written by me:

amund7/UDPLogger

This is a much requested feature. But I have been reluctant, as the only solution I can see is awful: Writing one row at an interval, say each second, with all rows populated by whatever value is stored in memory from earlier.
The results of that log will be all data is skewed in time, lots of data points are missed, other data points are duplicates of previous values.
Are you sure that's what you want?

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
@amund7 Is it possible to make the "recording/logging button" solid (non-flashing) red when it is logging and solid green (or another colour) when it is not. The reason I ask is that the flashing red logging button is actually quite dangerous. Whilst driving I want to set the logger on (I want to minimise log file size so will log before WOT for example). Touch the red circle and it starts flashing to show it is recording. The problem is you cannot see it is flashing unless you are looking at the daft flashing button for the frequency (about second). Clearly not safe. You can get into a cycle of briefly looking when it is red (so it looks solid) and you think it is not logging. Whole daft/dangerous cycle starts again as you turn it off and on or whatever.

Hope this makes sense. Thanks.

James

Reactions: zap fizzle
@amund7 Is it possible to make the "recording/logging button" solid (non-flashing) red when it is logging and solid green (or another colour) when it is not. The reason I ask is that the flashing red logging button is actually quite dangerous. Whilst driving I want to set the logger on (I want to minimise log file size so will log before WOT for example). Touch the red circle and it starts flashing to show it is recording. The problem is you cannot see it is flashing unless you are looking at the daft flashing button for the frequency (about second). Clearly not safe. You can get into a cycle of briefly looking when it is red (so it looks solid) and you think it is not logging. Whole daft/dangerous cycle starts again as you turn it off and on or whatever.

Hope this makes sense. Thanks.

James

Would it be good enough if the button starts blinking OFF, so you would see it reacting right as you press it?

Hi,

Android decides when to close background apps, due to cpu load, free memory etc. I can't say I had this problem with my phones, but maybe I didn't try running very heavy apps on top.

Early in the development I tried registering the app as a 'Service', among other things, to force it to be kept running in the background. I could not figure out the right way to do that, none of the methods I tried worked. Tips are welcome.

This is how and when data comes from the car. What do you want in the blank rows? The same number as the previous in that column? It will make your graphs look very strange. But I'm sure you can cook up a VBScript that fills them like that.

If you think Excel is useless, I suggest you use something better, written by me:

amund7/UDPLogger

This is a much requested feature. But I have been reluctant, as the only solution I can see is awful: Writing one row at an interval, say each second, with all rows populated by whatever value is stored in memory from earlier.
The results of that log will be all data is skewed in time, lots of data points are missed, other data points are duplicates of previous values.
Are you sure that's what you want?

Thanks for the reply. I would love to try out your UDPlogger but I don't know where to even start to get it running. Is there instructions anywhere or something similar that might have instructions?
I'd be willing to write up a guide on how to install and use it for everyone else if you pointed me in the right direction to get it running.

But for excel graphing purposes of the battery tab I would say yes, write a row every second or even two and write the data that is stored so that you make a complete row. I would think this would be good enough to get some easy plots done. I know it's not super accurate but I think it would be useful to make some easy plots and the data would close enough for the battery stats. Maybe not power or other tabs but for battery I think it's good enough.

You could make it a completely new output csv and name it battery graphing csv or something. I wouldn't touch your other csv, just make a new output type.
Anyway those are just my thoughts and uses but I'm sure others have different needs and thoughts.

Please do not write data to fill in empty excel cells. For those that use excel please right click your graphs, choose "Select Data", click "Hidden and Empty Cells" and choose "Connect data points with line" to make your graphs look contiguous.

Otherwise not only will the output be unnecessarily ten times larger but there will be no way to extrapolate a real result that doesn't change from an interpolated result. Consequently the output would be ruined.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jaitch and amund7
Thanks for the reply. I would love to try out your UDPlogger but I don't know where to even start to get it running. Is there instructions anywhere or something similar that might have instructions?
I'd be willing to write up a guide on how to install and use it for everyone else if you pointed me in the right direction to get it running.

User manual is on that page, just scroll down. Downloads are under 'releases', the numbered zip contains a Windows installer.

Not really no. The blink cycle is too slow to be safe. It is the blinking part that is dangerous. How does everyone else cope with issue? Maybe it is just me?

James

I would be more worried about looking at all the other numbers and dials racing on the same screen, but maybe that's just me :)

I hear you on this, but I don't want to break all logic since VHS recorders, where REC is a red button, blinks when recording... if I turn it blue or green, you can be sure all I will have time for after that is people e-mailing me asking what blue and green means, and if I please can change it to yellow, or orange...

If you can come up with a good solution, that everyone will understand, I will see what I can do.

Reactions: zap fizzle
User manual is on that page, just scroll down. Downloads are under 'releases', the numbered zip contains a Windows installer.

Ok I didn't know how to do windows install, thanks.
Downloaded and tried to install the files in 523.zip but I got this error during installation and also now when trying to launch it:
upload_2019-7-29_12-36-52.png

Edit
I installed dotNet framework 4.8 and it worked.

Last edited:
Reactions: amund7
Please do not write data to fill in empty excel cells. For those that use excel please right click your graphs, choose "Select Data", click "Hidden and Empty Cells" and choose "Connect data points with line" to make your graphs look contiguous.

Otherwise not only will the output be unnecessarily ten times larger but there will be no way to extrapolate a real result that doesn't change from an interpolated result. Consequently the output would be ruined.

Didn't know about this. I was able to plot the data without much manipulation.
Thanks!

I would be more worried about looking at all the other numbers and dials racing on the same screen, but maybe that's just me :)

I hear you on this, but I don't want to break all logic since VHS recorders, where REC is a red button, blinks when recording... if I turn it blue or green, you can be sure all I will have time for after that is people e-mailing me asking what blue and green means, and if I please can change it to yellow, or orange...

If you can come up with a good solution, that everyone will understand, I will see what I can do.

Thanks. Personally I would not look at any of the numbers when driving - that is what logging is for in my mind.

Could you make a green solid button just turn solid red? That seems logical to me. Or a red ring button that goes solid red circle on record. There must be a simple logical and safe solution that avoids the blinking that is easy to see the state and not detract from paying attention to the road ahead.

Obviously personally I have clue on how easy or otherwise this is to do on your excellent app.

Cheers

James

Thanks. Personally I would not look at any of the numbers when driving - that is what logging is for in my mind.

Could you make a green solid button just turn solid red? That seems logical to me. Or a red ring button that goes solid red circle on record. There must be a simple logical and safe solution that avoids the blinking that is easy to see the state and not detract from paying attention to the road ahead.

Obviously personally I have clue on how easy or otherwise this is to do on your excellent app.

Cheers

James

Just curious why you are checking to see if it's still recording? In my experience it has never stopped recording on it's own unless I make it run in the background by using other apps or turning off the phone. But leaving the app up and laying the phone untouched I have had it record for an hour or more with no issues.
I really see no point in knowing if it's still recording because it simply doesn't stop on it's own for me. Is yours stopping? When?

Just curious why you are checking to see if it's still recording? In my experience it has never stopped recording on it's own unless I make it run in the background by using other apps or turning off the phone. But leaving the app up and laying the phone untouched I have had it record for an hour or more with no issues.
I really see no point in knowing if it's still recording because it simply doesn't stop on it's own for me. Is yours stopping? When?
No I just want to know it is recording. I don't want a huge log file so want to turn it on, whilst driving, before doing a WOT pull, for example.

I think my head and computer would explode with an hour long log to manipulate!

No I just want to know it is recording. I don't want a huge log file so want to turn it on, whilst driving, before doing a WOT pull, for example.

I think my head and computer would explode with an hour long log to manipulate!

Gotcha
I agree it is hard to tell. I actually didn't even know there was a logging/recording feature on the app until I stumbled on it mentioned in this thread. Even after knowing that, I couldn't find it in the app or figure out how to get different output formats.

So maybe a dedicated button taking up the entire top or bottom of screen would be better, changing colors when it's activated.
That way it's more intuitive for new users and also more visible for your purposes.

I'm sure it's probably not very easy to do but just my thoughts:
upload_2019-7-29_18-46-8.png

Reactions: jaitch
*Sample UI*
I think the recording function can probably be better served hidden under the right upper corner menu? Because while some of you likes to record your logs for whatever reason... I don't think it is necessary to have such a big button?

Because there are also those of us who doesn't press the logging button on and off lots... and then there are those who would like to use the app like a mini dash/gauge of sorts...

I personally actually suggested if the top menu bar/tabs area can be made smaller while in landscape mode as to allow the ACTUAL information to have more real estate... so adding huge buttons would actually be going backwards...

So maybe instead of changing the record button to something massive or having a rainbow identity crisis... instead of having the red dot blink... maybe make the tab menu red instead of black/grey when recording so it's painfully obvious?

Reactions: amund7 and jaitch
I think the recording function can probably be better served hidden under the right upper corner menu? Because while some of you likes to record your logs for whatever reason... I don't think it is necessary to have such a big button?

Because there are also those of us who doesn't press the logging button on and off lots... and then there are those who would like to use the app like a mini dash/gauge of sorts...

I personally actually suggested if the top menu bar/tabs area can be made smaller while in landscape mode as to allow the ACTUAL information to have more real estate... so adding huge buttons would actually be going backwards...

So maybe instead of changing the record button to something massive or having a rainbow identity crisis... instead of having the red dot blink... maybe make the tab menu red instead of black/grey when recording so it's painfully obvious?

As the saying goes, you cant please everyone!
What you suggested does the complete opposite of what jaitch was asking for lol

Maybe being able to hide the recording buttons in the menu would be best but they would be displayed by default so people know it exists.
If you don't want to use it then you can hide them?