Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Scan My Tesla, a CANBUS reader for Android

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can analyze RAW logs and canbus dump files generated with the app with 'Canbus Analyzer': amund7/CANBUS-Analyzer
I want to make an instructional video how to use this software, but haven't found the time yet. Download it, try to figure out how to get started, ask when you get stuck.
Take a look at comma.ai's videos on how to use their software 'cabana' to decode and reverse engineer canbus signals, that's how I learned, and what my Canbus Analyzer is based on / inspired by.
Perhaps you could point to one or two of the videos you liked of theirs. So you need to buy one of their Panda's to connect your CANBUS to your laptop and run your CANBUS Analyzer tool?
Panda: panda OBD-II Interface | comma.ai shop

Perhaps you could point to one or two of the videos you liked of theirs. So you need to buy one of their Panda's to connect your CANBUS to your laptop and run your CANBUS Analyzer tool?

No, it turned out not so easy to use their stuff, since they are on a different bus, and even if their Cabana is open source, their server is not (or maybe it is, but I don't know how to run one). Their videos and instructions were very inspiring and I learned a lot from it, later I built Canbus Analyzer as a sort of a copy of their Cabana.

So in summary: Just log stuff with Scan My Tesla, preferably 'canbus dumps'. Then analyze those files with Canbus Analyzer.

I would also reccommend playing around with Comma.ai Cabana, you can learn a lot from it, it's a much more mature software than my hacked-together-on-a-saturday-canbus-analyzer. Also, watch videos of George Hotz explaining how he's thinking and what he's looking for when reverse engineering that kind of stuff, it's very universal and useful knowledge.

I'm a happy user of the program in Sweden. :)

Is it possible to add canbus translatran for aftermarket diy of tesla drive train and a function to add button to send canbus commands to example drive units etc?

I do have a sheet of commands and canbus msg for it.

Reactions: hiroshiy
FYI, Not sure what all data they are gathering.

Twitter link: Gael MUSQUET ⠵ on Twitter

I24ciJc.jpg

Same bus as what we are using via ScanMyTesla? ie. below display console
Dr0AFNXWkAA4vG0
ptoumlU.jpg

Thx. I didn't even know there was a 'canbus dumps' option in SMT. Google finds 1 hit. "canbus dumps" "Scan My Tesla" - Google Search

Sorry for the late response, here is a screenshot:

2018-12-27 22_02_09-TeslaCAN - Microsoft Visual Studio.png

I'm a happy user of the program in Sweden. :)

Is it possible to add canbus translatran for aftermarket diy of tesla drive train and a function to add button to send canbus commands to example drive units etc?

I do have a sheet of commands and canbus msg for it.

The short answer is no, but I'd like to see that sheet, please PM me :)

Can someone direct me to the best instructions for accessing the CANBUS connector on the Model X?

scan my tesla - Reccommended adapters

Please PM me if that doesn't answer your questions, I will be happy to help.

Reactions: scottf200
The short answer is no, but I'd like to see that sheet, please PM me :)

When I read your question again, I think you mean to use a tesla drive unit for a different vehicle? That can be done, but not with Scan My Tesla, as it can only read and not write anything. I could imagine Scan My Tesla on a tablet could be a cool dashboard for a DIY conversion though. As the software is open source in github, you are free to customize it to any special needs you might have for a project like this.

Reading this again I realized I never responded properly, sorry about that.

The whole point was to get some hints of how George Hotz is thinking when looking at the data.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
We should really start searching for, or even building a better adapter. What about a Raspberry Pi, it has bluetooth, and you can get a CAN shield for it. Should be quite easy to program something that would emulate ELM327 or ST1110 for Scan My Tesla to work. But it would be bulky, slow booting, probably buggy.
Being able to just run the logging service on a RPI3 would be ideal for me.
I see only limited applications for displaying the info realtime on a screen in the car; how much time do you really have looking at it whilst driving?
For logging trip and charge data all the apps that use the Tesla api (Teslalog, Teslafi) suffer the same problems; when the api has changed or there is no 3G/LTE coverage you miss data and sometimes only find out many days later.
Some store and forward of the filtered CAN messages to an online storage would solve this.

Being able to just run the logging service on a RPI3 would be ideal for me.
I see only limited applications for displaying the info realtime on a screen in the car; how much time do you really have looking at it whilst driving?
For logging trip and charge data all the apps that use the Tesla api (Teslalog, Teslafi) suffer the same problems; when the api has changed or there is no 3G/LTE coverage you miss data and sometimes only find out many days later.
Some store and forward of the filtered CAN messages to an online storage would solve this.

I run an app called DriveSync, it automatically uploads and deletes all log files from the ScanMyTesla folder on my phone every time I'm on wifi. You can run the app with the screen off, it has auto-logging at startup as a function. Some people even have a dedicated phone or tablet always running in the car.

If you still want to run it on a RPi, all the source code is in github, you are free to pick the parts you like and run on the hardware you like. Install Mono on the RPI, and you can run .net .exe-files directly on the pi with the mono command in front of it. You'd probably have to rewrite all the bluetooth code though, as that is Android specific.

I have also written, but not yet released a .net utility that parses SMT logs, both CSV and TXT, and puts them in an InfluxDB database. Let me know if you want it and I'll try to speed up the release. It was quite interesting to see 2 years of log files on a single timeline :)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Krash and robertvg
I run an app called DriveSync, it automatically uploads and deletes all log files from the ScanMyTesla folder on my phone every time I'm on wifi. You can run the app with the screen off, it has auto-logging at startup as a function. Some people even have a dedicated phone or tablet always running in the car.

If you still want to run it on a RPi, all the source code is in github, you are free to pick the parts you like and run on the hardware you like. Install Mono on the RPI, and you can run .net .exe-files directly on the pi with the mono command in front of it.

I have also written, but not yet released a .net utility that parses SMT logs, both CSV and TXT, and puts them in an InfluxDB database. Let me know if you want it and I'll try to speed up the release. It was quite interesting to put 2 years of log files into one timeline :)
Good developments :)
Let me think about it if it is worth buying a separate Android phone dedicated for this.
Btw: is the car’s GPS position also in the CAN messages?

If you still want to run it on a RPi, all the source code is in github, you are free to pick the parts you like and run on the hardware you like. Install Mono on the RPI, and you can run .net .exe-files directly on the pi with the mono command in front of it. You'd probably have to rewrite all the bluetooth code though, as that is Android specific.

I have also written, but not yet released a .net utility that parses SMT logs, both CSV and TXT, and puts them in an InfluxDB database. Let me know if you want it and I'll try to speed up the release. It was quite interesting to see 2 years of log files on a single timeline :)

Can you expand on drivesync? First I heard of it. The one in android app store called drivesync doesn't seem like it is the right one. Can you point me to the one you use?

When I read your question again, I think you mean to use a tesla drive unit for a different vehicle? That can be done, but not with Scan My Tesla, as it can only read and not write anything. I could imagine Scan My Tesla on a tablet could be a cool dashboard for a DIY conversion though. As the software is open source in github, you are free to customize it to any special needs you might have for a project like this.
Yes sometsome like that. It could be nice to use the existing translation to show the data on a displad, a pad for example.
The other feature I'd like to source was the ability to activate gear, brake etc or perhaps battery heat.

Btw, the picture is from a large drive unit sitting on the bench in my garage. Connected to the usercan with the elm327

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-01-05-13-56-43-810_com.emon.canbus.tesla.png
    Screenshot_2019-01-05-13-56-43-810_com.emon.canbus.tesla.png
    468.7 KB · Views: 104
Anyone using a Motorola phone for this app? I was unsuccessful in obtaining information from my BT adapter. I see activity lights on adapter, but no info shows up on app. I've used the phone and adapter fine with Torque and other cars.

My specific phone is Motorola Play G6, also tried a G4 phone without success.