Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Scan My Tesla, a CANBUS reader for Android

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What you are missing is that the 'AC charge' and 'DC charge' were introduced to the firmware at some point, and is only counting since they were introduced. That throws off the Regen, which is calculated in-app.

Cool, thanks for the explanation and really cool app. Peeking at all the numbers to figure out how my battery was getting heated sitting in my garage last night. Looks like your googlesheets link explained source of my heated battery. Left and right heater in the BMS :)

Tesla Thermal Management System - explanation

Last edited:
Sorry for such a dumb question but I just got Scan My Tesla up and running on app version 1.5.1 but I do not see where you turn on data logging to a csv file. I've read mention of a record button but I can't seem to find it. If someone can point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for such a dumb question but I just got Scan My Tesla up and running on app version 1.5.1 but I do not see where you turn on data logging to a csv file. I've read mention of a record button but I can't seem to find it. If someone can point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.
My cars in for service or I'd give you a screenshot. I could have sworn that they moved it to the lower right and is a faded red 'record' dot. Change log reminded me: "Record button (long press for settings) "

The DriveSync and UDPLogger for graphing listed here are must-haves too: scan my tesla - Reccommended software

Thanks scottf200 for the fast reply and great memory! Interesting to note that the red button was not visible on my Pixel 3 but when I tapped the lower right hand corner, which was just a black screen, the red button appeared and the csv file creation now works. Another Elon hidden easter egg? Thanks also for the tip on the other software. Can you recommend a good app for plotting the csv file on Android?

Thanks scottf200 for the fast reply and great memory! Interesting to note that the red button was not visible on my Pixel 3 but when I tapped the lower right hand corner, which was just a black screen, the red button appeared and the csv file creation now works. Another Elon hidden easter egg? Thanks also for the tip on the other software. Can you recommend a good app for plotting the csv file on Android?
Well I got my X back and I tried ScanMyTesla/SMT to give you a screenshot. .... well I don't see the red dot in the lower right either now (Pixel 2 XL). I'm sure I've seen it in the paste. Not having it more obvious is a pretty poor UI design if you ask me but I'm guessing it is supposed to show up there as a red dot. @amund7 is this a bug?!?

I don't know of any plotting tools on Android. I would definitely try UPDLogger. I think the time 'column' is relative to the start of logging. I'm forgetting. I messed with it in Excel a while back because I needed to line up the times with what I got out of TeslaFI.COM.

I found my excel sheet. Looks like the CSVs have a time in seconds.
So I just did this =<sec_col>/60 to get minutes AND
did this =<sec_col>/(60*60*24)+TIMEVALUE("19:30:00") to get an HH:MM:SS time that would line up with my TeslaFI.COM output.

HTH.

Thanks for validating that I am not the only one that is red dot-less. Also of note is that when I do start recording the tabs on the top all get grayed out so you can not switch between the different tabs for viewing. I quickly tried UPDLogger and had some performance issues so I have been trying Datplot (DatPlot - From raw data to report ready plots in under five minutes) which I have used before which is well documented, stable and very flexible for making strip charts

Reactions: scottf200
Also of note is that when I do start recording the tabs on the top all get grayed out so you can not switch between the different tabs for viewing.
but that should stand to reason as each tab can have different data (CSV 'columns') in them. Maybe you thought it would still just record all the data on that first tab where you started recording but then allow you to *view* others tabs (while keep recording on the 1st tab). Thanks for the other tool to try.

UPDATE2: Do note with UDPLogger that you can click on the items button and do the toggle all to turn off all columns to be plotted. Then just turn on some that you want to view.

UPDATE: I didn't have much luck with DatPlot. I did add another column with an HH:MM:SS format per my prev post so that DatPlot would understand the time format (it complained it was unknown). Below is the option I used to tell it the first row/line was the header.
ScanMyTeslaImport.png

Last edited:
From what I can tell the time stamps are in milliseconds, not seconds, so you would need to convert the milliseconds to hh:mm:ss.fff which Datplot will understand. In Excel you can convert the milliseconds to the hh:mm:ss.fff format with the following formula: CONCATENATE(TEXT(INT(A2/1000)/86400,"hh:mm:ss"),".",A2-(INT(A2/1000)*1000)) where A2 is the cell that contains the millisecond time stamp. An example of the "how to" conversion can be found at: How to convert milliseconds to time in Excel?. I tried it on my file and it worked fine with Datplot. The thing I like about Datplot is the ability to easily zoom and pan in on the data and once you have things setup the way you like them you can use that template to easily swap new data files in and out with the view that you like. UDPLogger has some nice ease of use as well.

• Helpful
red dot. @amund7 is this a bug?!?

I just got a Huawei P20 pro, with Android 9. Discovered that the red dot is gone! ? !? But it still works, if you know where to click... then it also starts blinking, so you can see it's recording.

I am sorry to say that this bug will take a while to get fixed, Google is now requiring a much newer Android API target, which no longer supports the tabbed UI I use, so I have to rewrite a lot of UI code, even just to fix this one little bug. Please stay tuned.

PS. Thanks for reporting, I'll try to spread some info so people don't get too confused or disappointed until I can fix it.

For all of you who like logging and analyzing logs, do take a few Raw logs and Can dumps while you're at it. It can be very interesting to load these logs into Canbus Analyzer amund7/CANBUS-Analyzer for later analysis.

The cool thing about this is that:
- CSV files are written and set as you write them, and are dictated by the app version as you record the log
- a canbus dump is just a raw byte dump from the canbus, and is interpreted when you read it back into Canbus Analyzer. This means that when we decode more messages, your old logs are re-interpreted and we can pull more interesting stuff from it. Canbus Analyzer always contains the latest, greatest, and also experimental canbus interpretations, as this is my tool to try to decode future signals. You can also help, as this tool has many fun ways to try to graph and analyze unknown packets. It now also supports DBC files.

• Informative
Also of note is that when I do start recording the tabs on the top all get grayed out so you can not switch between the different tabs for viewing.

This is by design, when you record a CSV file, the header/column titles is written first, then the data. That means you can't start to log other data without starting a new file. This was the best solution I could find. If you record raw logs instead of CSV, the tabs are not logged. But note that a raw logs only logs what the app sees, meaning only the data in the tab you're seeing. (Can dump records everything, as much as your adapter can eat)

Please note that the 'Usable' items here are just a simple calculation in-app, they are Nominal - buffer. Not necessarily correct or official metrics.

I unfortunately don’t have an android device so I can’t use Scan My Tesla (might have to buy a cheap tablet for it, hehe) but I noticed there’s an “Expected Energy Remaining” reported on the CAN bus as well which is what TM-Spy appears to display for its Pack Remaining field.

Is this also reported with Scan My Tesla and if so, does it appear to be used for anything specific? Just wondering if anyone has figured out why the value is slightly different than Nominal Energy Remaining.

I unfortunately don’t have an android device so I can’t use Scan My Tesla (might have to buy a cheap tablet for it, hehe) but I noticed there’s an “Expected Energy Remaining” reported on the CAN bus as well which is what TM-Spy appears to display for its Pack Remaining field.

Is this also reported with Scan My Tesla and if so, does it appear to be used for anything specific? Just wondering if anyone has figured out why the value is slightly different than Nominal Energy Remaining.

Can't really answer that very well, my guess is it's different prediction calculations that were never used in the UI (or maybe they were used in early versions of the UI?) We also have one called 'Ideal remaining'. They all exist in Scan My Tesla, but are only shown in the 'All' tab so you have to dig for it (and copy to another tab). I haven't studied them very hard, but I haven't seen them showing much different numbers than Nominal remaining.

As you may know, the energy left in a battery is not a simple straight forward fact, but depends on how fast you discharge among other things. This is also why 'rated' battery capacity often is a lot more than you actually get from a battery, as 'rated' usually means discharge at 1C = super slowly, this is how batteries are rated officially. For more information, look into R/C and ebike batteries, and capacity testing of these.

• Informative
Reactions: Darren S
I'm using ScanMyTesla using OBDLink MX on my Tesla Model X AP2 90D, and I noticed the BMS Max Charge does not go higher than 91 kW, even though the Supercharger is charging at 113 kW.
Battery temperature is optimal, around 40 degrees Celcius, hence the high SuC rate.

Is the BMS Max Charge rate incorrect?
Or do I misunderstand the meaning of this parameter?