Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scheduled charging restricted to 16A

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Despite not doing the normal "test charge" bit when I plugged it in yesterday, the car charged as normal last night, at full power for the whole charge.

If anything I'm more puzzled now than I was before. I've not had a scheduled charge fall back to 16 A for a fair time now, it seems almost as if, for me, the problem has just gone away. Given that others are still seeing this problem it's hard to know for sure what the cause might be. One slight difference between my charge point and some others may be that it delays switching on the control pilot PWM at the advertised current for 2 seconds after being plugged in. This was an attempt to emulate the delay seen by monitoring the car when plugged in to the Tesla UMC, during which the control pilot is at the digital comms pulse width.

I've had a similar experience, my scheduled charge has been happily achieving 32A for over a week now and I've not changed anything that may cause this. Let's just hope that's the end of it!

Reactions: Fingerwasp
Mine dropped to 16A for a couple of nights and then dropped to 6A the next night. I then did a manual charge at bedtime and went and set the car to 32A, it charged properly at 32A and then the next night it charged again at 32A on a scheduled charge. I think it remembers the previous charge rate so when it does go on the blink it seems to continue. Mine is consistently charging again at 32A, fortunately.

Reactions: pow216
I haven’t done anything scientific enough to add to the experiment yet but I did start a scheduled charge last night at midnight. On checking before crashing out, I noticed it has defaulted to 16amps. I stopped the charge from the app then restarted it and it went to 32amps immediately.

I’m not a daily commuter so I tend to charge the LEAF overnight and mine as and when needed. I’ll try and report back any anomalies as and when. I did an occasional dabble with the in-car amperage last week to see if I could throttle it down to use solar only during the day just out of curiosity. It I’m sure I’ve charged at 32ams since then no problems but can’t rule out user error. However, I’ll not change it manually in order to see if I can get a pattern.

Has anyone else noticed that if you have had your AC on and you get back in the car after it has been plugged in and has a scheduled charge set, that it starts to charge? I had to manually stop it to stop it using peak electric the other day (and didn't notice one night and it took an hour or so to stop!). Could someone test please and let me know if that happens to them too and I'll report to TS?

Mine started at 16A last night for the first time in weeks! :mad:

Bugger!

I hate this waiting game where we wake up in the morning not knowing if the car has charged properly or not. I'm tempted to add a bit of code to the Raspberry Pi that's running TeslaMate to just check the charge rate and try to stop and restart it if it's only charging at 16 A. Be nice to have this as an option in TeslaMate, as that's already using the Tesla API. Might add it as a request on Github.

Reactions: Fingerwasp
Bugger!

I hate this waiting game where we wake up in the morning not knowing if the car has charged properly or not. I'm tempted to add a bit of code to the Raspberry Pi that's running TeslaMate to just check the charge rate and try to stop and restart it if it's only charging at 16 A. Be nice to have this as an option in TeslaMate, as that's already using the Tesla API. Might add it as a request on Github.

This sounds great! Would love to know how you get on with that please. I was thinking of doing something similar with TeslaFi. Just using something else to fake schedule a charge would work as starting a manual charge from the App runs it at 32A for me (occasionally I have to stop and start to get it up to that though!).

Bugger!

Bugger indeed!

At least I’ve now moved over to the GO Faster trial, so my off-peak period now starts at 2030. No more checking the charge rate in the middle of the night! :D

GO Faster?
Yes, it’s a trial that Octopus are currently doing to see what effect spreading EV loads by time has on the power grid.

The trial is by invitation only, but you could try contacting Octopus to see if there are any spaces.

Basically you can pick an off-peak start time between 2030 and 0030, and an off-peak period lasting 3, 4, or 5 hours. You pay 4.5p/kWh for 3 hours, 5p for 4 hours, or 5.5p for 5 hours.

In the near future they may adapt the tariff to include time of use, a bit like the the Agile tariff.

Tesla just texted me this:

Hi , there have been recent bug fixes for charging issues such as yours in firmware 2020.4.1, I can see that your Tesla has recently installed this version. Could you please monitor the charging concern and provide additional times and dates if the issue persists?
Kind regards Tesla service.

Reactions: Roy W.
Tesla just texted me this:

Hi , there have been recent bug fixes for charging issues such as yours in firmware 2020.4.1, I can see that your Tesla has recently installed this version. Could you please monitor the charging concern and provide additional times and dates if the issue persists?
Kind regards Tesla service.
OK, just installed the latest firmware.
Let’s see what happens tonight!

Reactions: Roy W.