Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scheduled charging restricted to 16A

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had three successive successful charges now (at 32A on scheduled departure charge!!). Fingers crossed it could have been fixed!!!
Yes, me too, three charges at 32A and counting.

For me that’s a bit too early to say they’ve fixed it, as I’ve gone for two weeks previously charging at 32A, then only to have a 16A charge pop up!

Fingers crossed though...

I’ve had an issue free time since the update to 2020.4.1

had a variety of types of charge such as cold after standing a day, immediately on return and timed.

one thing I noticed as I glanced through the window at the screen earlier today is it shows xx/16A briefly and then it ramped up to xx/32A as it climbed as if it was doing a delayed re-test of available charge. The trouble is, although this caught my eye, I can’t say what it did anything different before but it ‘felt’ like it was. Don’t use this minor observation in any scientific stuff you may wish to do as I can’t return and check if it did anything else previously. Just thought it worth sharing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roy W.
I was a bit worried that as my own M3 hasn't been affected by this bug the software "cure" might accidentally introduce some kind of issue I never had! ... however, happy to report that my scheduled charging has if fact continued at 32 amps as before ...

I plugging in tonight with scheduled charging mode and noticed that it was restricted to 16A (normally I get 32A). I unplugged the charging cable at the charger end and reconnected (I have an untethered charger)- it then changed to 32A - strange.

Maybe the data sheet is wrong, thanks all

I had an issue when it was installed, first charge only showed 2kw, phone call and e-mail to podpoint have yet to be replied to. I checked the installation manual and found the dip switches were set wrong, changed them and now get the 7kw. So much for customer service!!

yeah, that's where I got the 7.2kW max from - PodPoint Solo installation guide dip switches.

https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/podpoint-website/Instalation-Guide-Solo.pdf

podpoint-solo_power_rating.png

Model S85 2014, always charged at 32amps with my crappy old roles dumb charger. Installed a new Ohme cable and Octopus energy ....and now it only charges at 16amp on schedule.

I have to manually go and stop the charge in car and restart it to get 32 amp. I thought it was the charger but now I’m guessing it’s software in car.... will check to see if I need to update.

Have requested a service centre appointment

I build large electric moto x packs, think 2kwh 18650 packs at 72v nominal. 200 to 400 amp output using Samsung 25R cells.

Just went to look at my 4 year old pack on my personal bike, has not been used since last summer and lowest cell was at 3.96 and highest cell was at 4.11. Stupidly the bike was stored at too higher charge (around 90%) and should have been stored at 60% for storage, but I always only charge to 90% when in us and the BMS does not even start to balance the cells until it hits 4.17v

3 of the 20 cell packs were really out of balance and at 5w per cell pack of balancing it will take several weeks to balance. Quicker to take the pack out and charge each series to say 4.1v than wait for a 5w distribution of balancing to do its job.

I don't know the system Tesla uses for balancing, but 99% of lithium based packs in world top balance after say 4.19v per series. Of course, keeping the car at this high state of charge for long periods is not best practice, but only charging to 80% for several years means the battery never gets a chance to balance.

I have no idea what BMS system they use or how much power the BMS can drain from the higher cells to diminish the Delta between the high cells and low cells. They might have a system that just charges the lower cells and not the high ones ...I have no idea.

My packs tend to be 12 1860 25R cells in parallel and 20 series for just over 2kwh of fuel with insane power output. I use a 24kw rear motor wit these packs, usually eats 400cc bikes off road with the torque.

If car not charged to full once in a while I am guessing that the pack will go out of balance, your capacity is only as good as your weakest cell voltage as BMS will turn pack off if a series of cells hits a certain voltage even if 90% of the rest of the pack still has 40% charge left in it.

I’m continuing to have exactly the same issue, my Rolec wall charger always charged at 32 amps (replaced dodgy components but that’s another story). But the last couple of months it has started charging at 16 amps but only when scheduled charge (00:30hrs).

If I plug charge cable in manually without scheduling it charges at 32amps. So I thought it must be my Rolex wall charger and bought a brand new smart Ohme charger...

nope, 3 weeks in and it’s still behaving badly charging at 16 amps every night. The charger is clearly set to 32 amps and I’ve even set the Model S to 20 amps to see if it was the charger or car.

have been speaking to Tesla engineers about this, only way is to book it in for a service then they start communicating with you properly about the issue.

They want me to manually charge at 00:30hrs tonight to show the log it charging at 32 amps. Really need this fixed as I spent £ on that new charger when now I am really thinking it is the car since recent updates.

I’ll post my discussions on here when done.

• Informative
Reactions: Roy W.