Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scheduled charging restricted to 16A

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, I contacted Tesla several months ago by opening a service request. The last response from them cancelled the service request, confirmed it was a software bug, and that it will be rectified with a software update. No timescale.

That's disappointing - think I'll raise a service request as well, even if it doesn't get noticed it'll make me feel better.

Most annoyingly, the "fix"/workaround Tesla suggested is now no longer working either! i.e I start a manual charge at 32A and stop, then leave scheduled. Last night's charge didn't complete even after doing this. I'm going to re-raise this with Service so will let you know what they say (if anything). Has anyone else noticed this happening now? Cheers

Reactions: pow216
Most annoyingly, the "fix"/workaround Tesla suggested is now no longer working either! i.e I start a manual charge at 32A and stop, then leave scheduled. Last night's charge didn't complete even after doing this. I'm going to re-raise this with Service so will let you know what they say (if anything). Has anyone else noticed this happening now? Cheers

I tried this earlier on in the week and it didn't work for me either.

Since Wednesday though, I'm back to charging at 32A and haven't done anything out of the ordinary..

In this post on another (related) thread: Scheduling with Teslafi, Ohme smart cable or car I wrote:

I'm reasonably sure I've pinned down one probable cause for the reduction in charge rate to 16 A. I've twice had this charge rate reduction happen, when the car has been scheduled to charge at the start of the E7 off-peak period, and both times were when I'd plugged the car in some time after having parked it.

Every time that I've plugged the car in as soon as I've got home, scheduled charging has started at the full rate, and stayed at the full rate.

I'm pretty much convinced that the problem of the car dropping back to 16 A is related to some sort of sleep state issue, but it's a very hard thing to prove.

And @Roy W. replied with his observations that seemed to show this may not be accurate:

That’s interesting Jeremy.

I always plug in as soon as the car goes in the garage, but so far I’ve had 8, maybe 10 occasions where the car has charged at 16A. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it...

On coming home this morning I've just observed something that may be relevant. I was delayed by maybe 30 seconds in plugging the car in, as I had to get the shopping out of the frunk first. The car was set to start charging at 00:15, as it usually is at home. Normally when I plug in, the car turns the charge point on and starts charging for a few minutes, with the display showing that the car is set to start charging at 00:15, in a large font that can be read from outside. The car then stops charging and shuts down until the scheduled charge start time.

This morning that didn't happen. The charge point switched to "plugged in and ready to charge" mode, but the screen in the car didn't light up with the scheduled charge message. It seems as if the car may have partially shut down before I plugged it in. This is the first time I've noticed it do this, and as I'm not desperate for it to be fully charged by tomorrow morning, I'm going to leave it and then check with Teslamate to find out what happens tonight.

I suspect that it will either not charge at all, or may charge at 16 A instead of the full rate.

If it does only charge at 16 A, then the behaviour I spotted just now may be indicative of part of the problem. BTW, my car has "walk away lock" enabled, so it locks a short time after walking out of range, and it's quite possible that I was far enough away to trigger this when I opened the frunk and then walked back around to plug the car in.

Reactions: Roy W.
In this post on another (related) thread: Scheduling with Teslafi, Ohme smart cable or car I wrote:

And @Roy W. replied with his observations that seemed to show this may not be accurate:

On coming home this morning I've just observed something that may be relevant. I was delayed by maybe 30 seconds in plugging the car in, as I had to get the shopping out of the frunk first. The car was set to start charging at 00:15, as it usually is at home. Normally when I plug in, the car turns the charge point on and starts charging for a few minutes, with the display showing that the car is set to start charging at 00:15, in a large font that can be read from outside. The car then stops charging and shuts down until the scheduled charge start time.

This morning that didn't happen. The charge point switched to "plugged in and ready to charge" mode, but the screen in the car didn't light up with the scheduled charge message. It seems as if the car may have partially shut down before I plugged it in. This is the first time I've noticed it do this, and as I'm not desperate for it to be fully charged by tomorrow morning, I'm going to leave it and then check with Teslamate to find out what happens tonight.

I suspect that it will either not charge at all, or may charge at 16 A instead of the full rate.

If it does only charge at 16 A, then the behaviour I spotted just now may be indicative of part of the problem. BTW, my car has "walk away lock" enabled, so it locks a short time after walking out of range, and it's quite possible that I was far enough away to trigger this when I opened the frunk and then walked back around to plug the car in.
It seems that the charger activity varies between chargers.

I drive into garage, get out of the car and then immediately open the charge port using the TWC wand, and plug in.

After about three seconds the car screen shows that charging is scheduled for 0030, but the “strobing lights” on the TWC don’t do anything, so my car doesn’t seem to start charging immediately then stop like yours.

• Informative
Reactions: Glan gluaisne
I do much the same, using the "Tesla button" I fitted to my charge point, but it's not a TWC. On every occassion when I've had a successful, full rate, scheduled charge, the car has turned the charge point on, requested power, and then ramped the charge rate up to maximum and held it there for a few minutes, before turning off and resuming the charge at the scheduled time.

When it does this, it's never (yet) failed to charge at the full rate on scheduled charge.

On two previous occasions when I plugged the car in some time after having parked up, it failed to charge at the full rate, and reverted to 16 A.

There does seem to be a difference between the way the car communicates with a TWC (or UMC) and the way the car communicates with any other charge point, and that may be relevant. When plugged in, the car tries to establish digital comms with the charge point over the control pilot for a few seconds. This is something specific to Tesla, in that no other vehicle seems to do this for AC charging, AFAIK, the digital signalling protocol is only intended for DC rapid charging use, I believe. If the car cannot establish digital comms in those first few seconds, it reverts to the standard IEC61851/J1772 protocol, and loads the control pilot in the normal way to communicate with the charge point.

It may be that if the car falls back to the non-Tesla control protocol, it then has to turn the charge point on to confirm that the advertised current is actually correct. It's possible that it may be able to get this confirmation from the TWC by using the digital communications protocol, so doesn't need to turn the TWC on to get confirmation that the advertised current is accurate.

Quite why the car needs to know whether the advertised charge current is accurate or not is a mystery. There should be no need to do this; it should just use take the advertised current (set by the duty cycle of the control pilot as soon as the vehicle is connected) as being the current that's available - that's why this control signal is there in the first place.

It is pretty clear that the car is non-compliant with IEC61851, and this behaviour may just be another indication of that non-compliance.

• Informative
I do much the same, using the "Tesla button" I fitted to my charge point, but it's not a TWC. On every occassion when I've had a successful, full rate, scheduled charge, the car has turned the charge point on, requested power, and then ramped the charge rate up to maximum and held it there for a few minutes, before turning off and resuming the charge at the scheduled time.

When it does this, it's never (yet) failed to charge at the full rate on scheduled charge.

On two previous occasions when I plugged the car in some time after having parked up, it failed to charge at the full rate, and reverted to 16 A.

There does seem to be a difference between the way the car communicates with a TWC (or UMC) and the way the car communicates with any other charge point, and that may be relevant. When plugged in, the car tries to establish digital comms with the charge point over the control pilot for a few seconds. This is something specific to Tesla, in that no other vehicle seems to do this for AC charging, AFAIK, the digital signalling protocol is only intended for DC rapid charging use, I believe. If the car cannot establish digital comms in those first few seconds, it reverts to the standard IEC61851/J1772 protocol, and loads the control pilot in the normal way to communicate with the charge point.

It may be that if the car falls back to the non-Tesla control protocol, it then has to turn the charge point on to confirm that the advertised current is actually correct. It's possible that it may be able to get this confirmation from the TWC by using the digital communications protocol, so doesn't need to turn the TWC on to get confirmation that the advertised current is accurate.

Quite why the car needs to know whether the advertised charge current is accurate or not is a mystery. There should be no need to do this; it should just use take the advertised current (set by the duty cycle of the control pilot as soon as the vehicle is connected) as being the current that's available - that's why this control signal is there in the first place.

It is pretty clear that the car is non-compliant with IEC61851, and this behaviour may just be another indication of that non-compliance.
I’m probably using a non-compliant car with a non-compliant TWC. Unfortunately two wrongs don’t make a right!

I’m probably using a non-compliant car with a non-compliant TWC. Unfortunately two wrongs don’t make a right!

If anything, it's odd that the car doesn't behave itself when used with a TWC, as I'd have thought that Tesla would have at least made sure two of their own products work together OK.

I have a feeling that the digital signalling thing is really a hang over from the days before IEC61851/J1772, when Tesla chose to come up with a way for the car to signal to charge points and DC chargers just because they had a need to do this and there wasn't a standard protocol that could handle both. In particular, the protocol for controlling DC rapid charging evolved a fair time after the J1772 AC charging protocol, and as Tesla initially used the same proprietary connector for both AC and DC charging, I believe, it may be that they needed to invent a protocol to make this work.

They are probably obliged to keep using their own digital signalling protocol for AC charging, in addition to the internationally agreed one, just for legacy reasons, may be.

The results are in. The car didn't charge at all last night. It was set for a scheduled charge to start at 00:15, and seems to have woken up around that time. Teslamate is reporting it woke up at 00:20:07, (but there's a 6 minute granularity in those readings) and then stayed awake for 36 mins (again, this is probably slightly in error because of the 6 minute sampling frequency). The charger was definitely on, in the plugged in state, and advertising that full charge current was available.

The car seems to have just completely ignored the fact that it was set for a scheduled charge, although when it did wake up about the right time, but then ignored the charger telling it that there's power available.

This isn't what I expected to happen, I thought that it would probably just charge at 16 A, rather than not at all.

I'll flag this up as yet another charging related bug to Tesla.

Tonight I'll make sure the car is fully awake, doors unlocked etc, when I plug it in, and make sure it goes through the usual routine of displaying the scheduled charge start time on the screen before it locks.

• Informative
I've been having this issue since delivery (Sept 2019) now and it is worse than ever. I LOVE my Model 3 but this is getting to be a bit of a joke. The "workaround" Tesla gave me is no longer working i.e setting to manually charge, wait til it reaches 32A, stop, and then leave scheduled. Last night it started charging during peak rate (around 8pm) with only schedule departure set to be ready at 6.30am (with 20% SoC). I didn't start the charge, it did it on its own using 14p electrons!! I stopped it and left it scheduled after another manual start to 32A. Woke up with it on 69% (not the 80% set). Dammit. I've logged another service ticket with Tesla so will let you know if they have any updates. I'm going to start using scheduled start when my off-peak starts again to give it a fighting chance even on 16A! SO frustrating!

When I came home this morning I plugged the car in straight away, with it set to start a scheduled charge at max current at 00:15. Usually when I do this, the car will turn on the charge point, start charging, ramp the current up to the maximum, then turn off and wait for the scheduled charge time.

This morning it did a repeat performance of last Saturday morning, and the car didn't start to charge then turn off after a few minutes. The difference this time is that I managed to get a look at the screen, which was displaying the charge scheduled to start at 00:15 message, but with the current showing as 0 A/16 A.

It was plugged in last night, and because of the vampire drain it charged (at max rate) for about 3 minutes over night, but with that short charge starting at about 01:16, roughly in the middle of it's nightly wake-up (seems to wake up every night, presumably to "phone home").

upload_2020-1-25_14-2-52.png

Trying to work out what makes the car do certain things, or not do them, seem challenging. A couple of days ago it was parked up and I logged on to Teslamate to check what state it was in, to find that it was online (so awake) and had been online for ~16 hours, losing a load of range in the process. I forced it to sleep (using Teslamate) and it has since seemed to behave normally again.

As before, I'll check tomorrow morning to see what the car does, as again I'm a bit suspicious that it might either not charge at all, or charge at only 16 A.

Teslamate can't force it to sleep, it can only stop keeping it awake :)

Agreed, but the odd thing is that I'd not changed the Teslamate settings, yet the car seemed to just be staying awake for hours on end. When I clicked the "try to sleep" button it started counting down and the car then went to sleep maybe 15 minutes later. I can't see any setting in Teslamate that could have kept the car awake, yet clearly it may have been, for some reason that's not that obvious or clear.

It will go to sleep after approx 15 mins if you stop pinging the Api. TeslaFi for example, I have a stop polling after 30 mins. 45 minutes (30 minutes polling + 15 minutes wait to sleep) after idle starts, car goes to sleep as expected. So it sounds like TeslaMate was polling the Api preventing it from sleeping until 15 minutes after you told it not to - as expected except for not knowing why Teslamate was polling.

It will go to sleep after approx 15 mins if you stop pinging the Api. TeslaFi for example, I have a stop polling after 30 mins. 45 minutes (30 minutes polling + 15 minutes wait to sleep) after idle starts, car goes to sleep as expected. So it sounds like TeslaMate was polling the Api preventing it from sleeping until 15 minutes after you told it not to - as expected except for not knowing why Teslamate was polling.

I have much the same settings in Teslamate, I've left it on the default settings, assuming they would be OK:

upload_2020-1-25_18-58-53.png

Despite not doing the normal "test charge" bit when I plugged it in yesterday, the car charged as normal last night, at full power for the whole charge.

If anything I'm more puzzled now than I was before. I've not had a scheduled charge fall back to 16 A for a fair time now, it seems almost as if, for me, the problem has just gone away. Given that others are still seeing this problem it's hard to know for sure what the cause might be. One slight difference between my charge point and some others may be that it delays switching on the control pilot PWM at the advertised current for 2 seconds after being plugged in. This was an attempt to emulate the delay seen by monitoring the car when plugged in to the Tesla UMC, during which the control pilot is at the digital comms pulse width.