Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode bust!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Simple. Let the do whatever they will, then file in small claims, for actual and punitive damages, to the max allowed in small claims. If that doesn't deserve punitive damages, I don't know what does. When he has to pay out of his pocket, that's when he will learn.

Based on his demographic, what he's driving, state he's in (Motown state..'murican gas and diesel vehicles), wouldnt suprise me at all if it was done as anger towards green energy...(with a dash of anger at "stolen" election).

Cuz we all know, EVERYONE is against "them"...all media, all tech companies, leadership in Georgia, the entire supreme court, most all court judges including with (red) judges... (By the way..the irony is that in this case, big tech is what caught him.)

So yeah, a lot of anger that things wont be "great" again. (the guy in the video looks like "great" to him was right around the height of slavery).

That's a whole lot of inferences to be made about someone you saw in a video keying a car, who may just be angry because he couldn't open the door enough to fit his grandson in as easily as he would have liked.

You really have no idea who he is or what he believes so going down this path is just not productive.

I think he should pay 100% of the repair costs, including the owner’s time, and whatever it would cost to rent a Tesla while it is under repair. Then, triple it. Add 40 hours of community service, and depending on his attitude, maybe an anger management class.
How about, you know, jail. Wanton and deliberate property destruction from this thug deserves loss of freedom to dissuade future incidents.

• Love
Reactions: 2101Guy
I just watched the clip again, this time full screen. The keyer is stepping on what appears to be a diagonal, thick white line that crosses under the Tesla. Was the Tesla even parked in an actual parking space?

Im 100% for all penalties against the keyer, but this is an example of why I always, always park at FAR end of parking lot, in an end space, away from all. (Plus I need the walking)

How about, you know, jail. Wanton and deliberate property destruction from this thug deserves loss of freedom to dissuade future incidents.
Yes, this guys is a scumbag, but jails are crowded and expensive, and there are other punishments that could work better, at least in cases like this.
Simple. Let the do whatever they will, then file in small claims, for actual and punitive damages, to the max allowed in small claims. If that doesn't deserve punitive damages, I don't know what does. When he has to pay out of his pocket, that's when he will learn.
Punitive damages often are not allowed in Small Claims. I am sure it is state driven though.

I just watched the clip again, this time full screen. The keyer is stepping on what appears to be a diagonal, thick white line that crosses under the Tesla. Was the Tesla even parked in an actual parking space?

Im 100% for all penalties against the keyer, but this is an example of why I always, always park at FAR end of parking lot, in an end space, away from all. (Plus I need the walking)

You may be right. It looks like the truck was right on his parking line, but it also looks like OP may have been parked in a no parking zone. The plot thickens....

Reactions: 2101Guy
Auburn Hills, Michigan

Hmm... I guess the guy felt he had "home turf advantage" with his Dodge RAM.
dodge1.jpg

You may be right. It looks like the truck was right on his parking line, but it also looks like OP may have been parked in a no parking zone. The plot thickens....

It is hard to tell what was going on just from the sentry cam video. It looked to me like the kid was carrying a Target shopping bag, so I checked out the Auburn Hills Taget parking lot and there are a lot of potentially confusing markings there.

ah-target.jpg

Probably not even that parking lot, but was OP parked in a loading zone? Short term parking? Handicapped spot? We don't know what kind of spot they were in and if they had the "right" to be using it.
But it still doesn't excuse the guy keying their car no matter what it was.

It is hard to tell what was going on just from the sentry cam video. It looked to me like the kid was carrying a Target shopping bag, so I checked out the Auburn Hills Taget parking lot and there are a lot of potentially confusing markings there.

View attachment 639694

Probably not even that parking lot, but was OP parked in a loading zone? Short term parking? Handicapped spot? We don't know what kind of spot they were in and if they had the "right" to be using it.
But it still doesn't excuse the guy keying their car no matter what it was.

Hopefully the OP will chime in about whether they were over the line or not.

It's hard to tell from the video, but at the 11 second mark is when the first keying occurs so it seems like he's clearly mad at the lack of space.

The truck is clearly at the edge of his line in the back, but I can't tell if the Tesla is or not. I don't see any evidence that the OP is parked any worse than the truck.

The guys facial expression and head/eye movements between ~11 and 14 seconds when he realizes the car is watching him is priceless. Then at 33 seconds he seems to try and pry the camera out as the video shakes but it doesn't look like the car is moving. What a piece of work.

The truck is clearly at the edge of his line in the back, but I can't tell if the Tesla is or not. I don't see any evidence that the OP is parked any worse than the truck.
The truck seems to me to actually be on the line, not at the edge. To me, that means that he is not parked correctly. As far as the OP goes, hard to tell. There is a broad stripe there that could indicate that he is not supposed to be parked there.

The truck seems to me to actually be on the line, not at the edge. To me, that means that he is not parked correctly. As far as the OP goes, hard to tell. There is a broad stripe there that could indicate that he is not supposed to be parked there.

Sounds like you're applying gridiron rules to it.

I follow the more defense friendly definition where it's not a score unless you cross the line. Plus in this situation (if the assumed parking lot is correct) both drivers have a separate line. So that means there should be plenty of space as long as neither vehicle has crossed the line.

The pickup is also less than half over line, and I'd give that half to him.