Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Setec CCS to Tesla Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can certainly try. I would never get one of these Setec adapters. I would go to great lengths and go out of my way to stick with Superchargers, and as a secondary thing, I do have a Tesla CHAdeMO adapter. For that particular trip, it's only 49 miles from the Tesla Supercharger on the West side of Knoxville to Pigeon Forge, TN, so I don't see a need to use anything else yet in what you have presented about this trip.

Interesting. We are going to PF (well, actually Gatlenburg) at the end of July with our MS 75D and am concerned. Realistically, we have a 200 mile range in the summer, so driving from Knoxville to PF and back to charge will consume 1/2 of the battery capacity alone, giving us only 100 miles of travel at best. The place we will be staying at has no option for charging, even at 110V, and there are only a couple L2 chargers near us (within 5 miles; PF has more), so I am on the fence for getting it prior to this trip.

I too was hoping for a Tesla OEM one but given their inability to come close to forecasts on when stuff will be available, and the fact an adapter is most likely the lowest thing on their list of stuff to finish, the Setec might be the only option for fast 'local' charging, unless we are willing to leave out car in a parking lot for 5+ hours for L2 charging. I found a Blink L2 about 4 miles away at a BBQ place and have no problem paying but read that it is often ICEed, and is in the back of the building by a loading dock, so I worry about damage. That said, I don't see any DCFC units in that area other than at the entrance to the park, but someone said it was broken :-( And then there is the question of whether even that one will work with the Setec - some comments above give me concern (assuming this Greenlots unit is fixed by then).

If you have insight into any location I missed where we could use the Setec adapter for DCFC in that area please LMK.

Thanks.

If you have insight into any location I missed where we could use the Setec adapter for DCFC in that area please LMK.
If you haven't already done so, get the Plugshare app and set the filters to show CCS and J1772, as well as Tesla and superchargers.
There are 6 Tesla destination chargers at the REI in PF. If you want to use the Setec adapter, there's an Electrify America station in Kodak, TN.

Interesting. We are going to PF (well, actually Gatlenburg) at the end of July with our MS 75D and am concerned. Realistically, we have a 200 mile range in the summer, so driving from Knoxville to PF and back to charge will consume 1/2 of the battery capacity alone, giving us only 100 miles of travel at best. The place we will be staying at has no option for charging, even at 110V, and there are only a couple L2 chargers near us (within 5 miles; PF has more), so I am on the fence for getting it prior to this trip.

I too was hoping for a Tesla OEM one but given their inability to come close to forecasts on when stuff will be available, and the fact an adapter is most likely the lowest thing on their list of stuff to finish, the Setec might be the only option for fast 'local' charging, unless we are willing to leave out car in a parking lot for 5+ hours for L2 charging. I found a Blink L2 about 4 miles away at a BBQ place and have no problem paying but read that it is often ICEed, and is in the back of the building by a loading dock, so I worry about damage. That said, I don't see any DCFC units in that area other than at the entrance to the park, but someone said it was broken :-( And then there is the question of whether even that one will work with the Setec - some comments above give me concern (assuming this Greenlots unit is fixed by then).

Thanks.
Which DCFC are you referring to? I'm not aware of any in the pigeon forge or Gatlinburg are, other than Kodak. I don't really think of Kodak as close, though.

At least the Tesla location is coming soon. Optimistically, it could get done by the end of July.

Which DCFC are you referring to? I'm not aware of any in the pigeon forge or Gatlinburg are, other than Kodak. I don't really think of Kodak as close, though.

At least the Tesla location is coming soon. Optimistically, it could get done by the end of July.
I found a Greenlots DCFC at the entrance to the National Park HOWEVER a number of people who stopped there said it wasn't working for over a month now and the group who is supposed to take care of it (Greenlots, who is now owned by --- drum roll --- Shell Oil Company), isn't doing anything other than lip service about fixing it... :-(

Attachments

• Screen Shot 06-08-21 at 08.36 PM.JPG
    Screen Shot 06-08-21 at 08.36 PM.JPG
    14.2 KB · Views: 36
  • Screen Shot 06-08-21 at 08.38 PM.JPG
    Screen Shot 06-08-21 at 08.38 PM.JPG
    340 KB · Views: 57
  • Screen Shot 06-08-21 at 08.39 PM.JPG
    Screen Shot 06-08-21 at 08.39 PM.JPG
    157.2 KB · Views: 46
If you haven't already done so, get the Plugshare app and set the filters to show CCS and J1772, as well as Tesla and superchargers.
There are 6 Tesla destination chargers at the REI in PF. If you want to use the Setec adapter, there's an Electrify America station in Kodak, TN.
I know about the destination chargers in PF. And OK about Kodak, TN. That would be 24 miles away - closer than the SuC in Knoxville...

As for the new Tesla SuC in PF, there is no way will it be done by the time we go :-(

Reactions: theothertom

FMinMI, I live in eastern NC and there are a lot of Greenlots DCFC in NC, VA, and northern GA that have basically been abandoned and haven't worked in well over a year. Officially they claim they operate on the 3G cell network which was supposed to be shut down. Rather than upgrade or replace them they were abandoned. This REALLY sucks for those of us with electric motorcycles with CCS charging because there are some amazing roads in that region for motorcycles but having CCS charging to the key to riding them.​

Reactions: FMinMI

FMinMI, I live in eastern NC and there are a lot of Greenlots DCFC in NC, VA, and northern GA that have basically been abandoned and haven't worked in well over a year. Officially they claim they operate on the 3G cell network which was supposed to be shut down. Rather than upgrade or replace them they were abandoned. This REALLY sucks for those of us with electric motorcycles with CCS charging because there are some amazing roads in that region for motorcycles but having CCS charging to the key to riding them.​

Yep , I have been very disappointed with Greenlots in my charging experiences, they need to get their act together.

This REALLY sucks for those of us with electric motorcycles with CCS charging
What brands or models of electric motorcycle charge using CCS? I'm surprised there would be any since the battery sizes would only be about 10-15 kWh. I just checked the Zero motorcycles pages to see if they now offer that, and they don't. Zero is about the biggest and most well known, so I'm curious who would have DC fast charging on a motorcycle.

What brands or models of electric motorcycle charge using CCS? I'm surprised there would be any since the battery sizes would only be about 10-15 kWh. I just checked the Zero motorcycles pages to see if they now offer that, and they don't. Zero is about the biggest and most well known, so I'm curious who would have DC fast charging on a motorcycle.
Energica and Livewire both do.

I didn't check if Harley does, but their dealerships have a "fast" (24kW) charger. So I assume their motorcycles have CCS capability, otherwise why install a DCFC.

I didn't check if Harley does, but their dealerships have a "fast" (24kW) charger. So I assume their motorcycles have CCS capability, otherwise why install a DCFC.
I looked them up and confirmed both the Energica and the Harley Livewire, and they do. Chargepoint has a page about the Livewire, and I found another page from Podpoint where they also included the detail that the Livewire will only do 13kW on CCS. The battery is pretty small, after all.

Reactions: theothertom
Interesting. We are going to PF (well, actually Gatlenburg) at the end of July with our MS 75D and am concerned.
Just to tie two threads together, the Tesla Supercharger in Pigeon Forge is in construction already, so it may be online by the end of July.

• Informative
Reactions: FMinMI
Since the 1.50 firmware update for our SETEC CCS to Tesla adapter made it functional for charging our 2012 Signature Edition P85 Tesla Model S at Electrify America chargers, I thought I'd try it again at the local Chargepoint CCS DCFC station at Harley-Davidson in Cheyenne, WY where it previously would NOT work under firmware 1.41. This time it worked quite easily.

The firmware from SETEC is available on their website. It is used to update the adapter, not the car.

Just to tie two threads together, the Tesla Supercharger in Pigeon Forge is in construction already, so it may be online by the end of July.

That would be great, but I am still putting together contingency plans...

This thread is approaching 600 replies. Has someone compiled a list of which models of CCS chargers have been proven to work on which models of Tesla and at what speeds?

I'm pretty sure there's really only one model - the Setec CCS Adapter as mentioned in the title of the thread.

Generally for 3/Y you'll max out at 50kW, and the S/X can go higher (but not much more, I think < 100kW, maybe 70kW?)

Reactions: cwerdna