Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Setec CCS to Tesla Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got my Setech CCS1 adapter. Total shipping time from Hong Kong was 7 actual days.

I tried it twice and it worked great both times, although charging speed was a bit slower than I expected; 42kW

I tried at a 150kW Electrify America charging station. My SOC was 4%. I have a 2019 Model 3 SR+. Outside temps were 68F, and I had been driving for around 45 minutes to warm up the battery.

I stopped charging around 10% and moved to a 350kW stall. Noticed the same result... it would ramp to 42kW and stay there.

I sent the Setech guys an email and am awaiting their response. Really hoping they can push an update to improve speeds. TeslaKoreaClub has some YouTube videos showing multiple charge sessions:
Model 3 at 71kW
Model S at 74kW
Model X at 70kW
Model 3 at 68kW
Model S at 108kW

But the main difference is those say "SuperCharging" (in Korean). In the YouTube videos, it looks like they are emulating the SuperCharger protocol.

My car shows "Charging". So if I had to guess, perhaps they are emulating the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter. Since that is limited at 50kW, it would explain my charging limits.
I have just confirmed my cars showed "Charging", not "SuperCharging" when charing with adapter on my YouTube videos.
*Charging = 충전중, SuperCharging = 슈퍼차저로 충전중

Your "point 3" was:
"3. Model 3's limit can be lifted by FW update, but actually it is not lifted but "forced". So forced current could disrupt the system.
I have tested about 8 months with the curreent-forcing FW, but I had no problem. However, if you want to use the current-forcing FW, it should be totally on your risk. (I'll share it here if it is permitted.)"

The car has a maximum charging amperage limit that depends on the state of charge, battery temperature etc.

I think they were asking whether forcing a higher amperage would exceed that amperage limit. They might be worried about damaging the battery.
In part, it is correct. 200A at low SOC (up to 50%) seems not to damage the battery, but you never know. Setec are working on compatibility now but they will refine the forcing FW.

Don’t give up on the adapter testing guys. I sent logs to SETEC three times for an Efacec charger. On the third firmware update it worked! I guess it just a matter of capturing data to tweak the adapter software so I can communicate with the charging station. Pictures of testing and success attached!

65C28A09-11DA-4560-9A26-3C672C469FB6.jpeg
70EBAE00-56FB-494E-9993-6F22F3507277.jpeg
2E7C7395-F134-4BE3-B603-5EEA92011424.jpeg
84EE2CA5-6E3D-4DC5-8F36-C1DBB13B4367.jpeg
1851EAA4-0F6D-4F75-9B2F-8AC5D68D6DCF.jpeg

Don’t give up on the adapter testing guys. I sent logs to SETEC three times for an Efacec charger. On the third firmware update it worked! I guess it just a matter of capturing data to tweak the adapter software so I can communicate with the charging station.

Thanks for taking the time to help them get this working!

Has anybody been keeping track of what CCS chargers are working, or not working, with the adapter?

Reactions: cwerdna
From what I can see from the success though, all the charge rates are still comparable with the Chademo adapter. So no real advantage so far.

Keeping the faith. Hoping to see 80 KW plus.

From what @Randy Sinn said Model S/X drivers will see faster charge rates, but that Model 3, and probably Model Y, currently limit the amps that they ask for. Of course he also mentioned two things:
  • That you can ask for a different version of the firmware that will forcibly charge the Model 3/Y faster. (I would be interested to know how they implement the charge curve on that.)
  • That they are working on trying to make it more compatible so that maybe it will be able to charge faster without forcing it.
The advantage in the US is that there are way more CCS charging stalls than there are CHAdeMO charging stalls. (And the adapter is smaller.)

Last edited:
That is the main reason I purchased this adapter. I wanted to be able to charge more than 50kW at a non-Tesla DC charger. There is usually only one chademo connector and multiple CCS connectors at the EA stations. From my experience the Chademo usually is broken leaving Nissan Leaf folks and Tesla chademo adapter users SOL.

There is usually only one chademo connector and multiple CCS connectors at the EA stations. From my experience the Chademo usually is broken leaving Nissan Leaf folks and Tesla chademo adapter users SOL.
VW-owned EA stacking the deck like that in terms of 1 CHAdeMO vs. 5-7 SAE Combo handles at each site it something I've railed against. I don't know of any other major non-Tesla DC FC provider in the US w/most of their new deployments doing stuff like that (skewed one way or the other).

I guess it's all moot now given Nissan's Ariya decision for the US and Europe...

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
The writing was on the wall for CHAdeMO even before EA deploying chargers because the only BEV that used it was the Leaf and the PHEV Outlander and maybe a few thousand Tesla owners with adapters. Everything else was using CCS and most deployments already saw CHAdeMO limited to 62.5 kW with CCS going higher. So to me it makes complete sense for EA to only include one per location to support the small number of users.

The writing was on the wall for CHAdeMO even before EA deploying chargers because the only BEV that used it was the Leaf and the PHEV Outlander and maybe a few thousand Tesla owners with adapters. Everything else was using CCS and most deployments already saw CHAdeMO limited to 62.5 kW with CCS going higher. So to me it makes complete sense for EA to only include one per location to support the small number of users.
Gen 1 Kia Soul EV also used CHAdeMO. Looks like gen 2 will not arrive in the US. i-MIEV did too. There are many others outside the US (EVs – Chademo Association isn't complete as the Japanese market BMW i3, Mercedes EQC and VW e-Golf all have CHAdeMO inlets).

Looks like EA was established Feb 7, 2017. Look at the historical sales charts for Jan to Feb 2017 and 2016 at Monthly Plug-In EV Sales Scorecard: Historical Charts. Which of those vehicle models in the US had CCS inlets? What were their US sales volumes vs. CHAdeMO vehicles? What about the installed base of CHAdeMO vehicles at the time?

The Spark EV was a CA compliance car. VW e-Golf for the US market was only sold in CARB emission states.

Note that some of them (e.g. Mercdes B-Class ED/B250e, Fiat 500e and gen 1 Focus Electric, Smart ForTwo ED gen 1 (and probably gen 2)) cannot be DC FCed at all. For FFE, it wasn't until gen 2 that it could be DC FCed (2017 Ford Focus Electric preview is a preview from Nov 2016.)

Clearly VW-owned EA stacked the deck in favor of their brands (e.g. VW, Audi and Porsche) and to advantage them. Their deck stacking and lack of effort on the part of CHAdeMO (e.g. 50 kW only) helped shift the market and put the nail in the coffin for CHAdeMO in the US.

Where were "most deployments" of CCS going higher than 62.5 kW before EA started?
They really should include at least two per location so there is some redundancy.
Yep. And, those two CHAdeMO handles should be on two separate chargers. Sometimes the lone unit with CHAdeMO is kaput.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
Yesterday had received my in Ukraine.
Tested on AE charging network with CCS1 ports available.

IT WORK WELL!
2 x Tesla Model 3 charged successfully.

Started at 125.7A 350V

reached 125.7A 402V at 83%SOC
and stopped at 85% SOC

Here is video:

And few screenshot attached:

Attachments

• photo_2021-01-06_23-49-00.jpg
    photo_2021-01-06_23-49-00.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 68
  • photo_2021-01-07_00-09-01.jpg
    photo_2021-01-07_00-09-01.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 71
  • photo_2021-01-07_00-09-08.jpg
    photo_2021-01-07_00-09-08.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 74
  • photo_2021-01-07_00-10-57.jpg
    photo_2021-01-07_00-10-57.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 71
Update from the PA boonies....

Latest firmware I got was v124. Tried again at the BTCPower (Blink) charger. Still faults out. Then tried at the Harley Davidson dealer (Blink network, couldn't see tag for manufacturer). Faulted out again.

Was about to give up but then was driving by a EA (Signet). station. Worked perfectly. Started at 60% SoC and took it up to 70. Took all of 8 min at 62 kw. (at that SoC not really that far behind a Supercharger). So.... I guess I update the firmware and try again at the local Blink station

Update from the PA boonies....

Latest firmware I got was v124. Tried again at the BTCPower (Blink) charger. Still faults out. Then tried at the Harley Davidson dealer (Blink network, couldn't see tag for manufacturer). Faulted out again.

Was about to give up but then was driving by a EA (Signet). station. Worked perfectly. Started at 60% SoC and took it up to 70. Took all of 8 min at 62 kw. (at that SoC not really that far behind a Supercharger). So.... I guess I update the firmware and try again at the local Blink station
That's great to hear! Doesn't benefit me though =D

But seriously, it's good that the manufacturer is working hard even to support the NA folks

• Informative
Reactions: Webeevdrivers
That's great to hear! Doesn't benefit me though =D

But seriously, it's good that the manufacturer is working hard even to support the NA folks

Setec has sent me some new firmware to try... (not the v128). Will let you all know if it works for the BTCPower.

At $660, if it works, it will be a good deal for my roadtrips. At the current $980, nah, not so much. I kind of feel they wanted that first 1000 pcs out there for feed back (hello beta test!) Plus now they are selling via Alibaba. Kind of feel better that I was dealing direct with Setec when I got mine.

Worse case, it was an expensive test, and at least I know now that it will work at some EA chargers. Best case, it will work 95% of the time and give me choices. Plus it does charge faster than CHADeMO