Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Setec CCS to Tesla Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There was a user here on TMC that had the on-board charger portion of his Model 3 PCS destroyed by using the Setec adapter with the experimental firmware. Are you asking about incidents of damage with "safe" Setec firmware?

Yup - sorry for not being clear. Let me try to re-phrase it.

Are there any other anecdotes / incidents (apart from the tweet shared by @MP3Mike) where firmware downloaded directly from Setec's website caused permanent damage during use to their Tesla?

I'd like to know because I haven't observed any, and if there are it will alter the risk profile I have about using this adapter. I've been working under the assumption that firmware that is directly downloaded from the Setec hasn't yet caused any incidents of damage to a Tesla

You've got to be kidding me.
"Show me a link"
[shows link]
"I don't find that link credible."
I appreciate the link, I'm sure others will find it useful.

I'm just saying why I don't think it's credible, others will surely disagree with me, that's fine. I'm looking for more examples - I just find that one strange because it is weirdly detailed but also vague at the same time (mentions experimental firmware but doesn't actually mention using it, mentions that it is the "Nth charge" but doesn't clarify if it was always using non-experimental firmware) - it gives me the impression that it is trying to push an agenda rather than just reflect a cautionary anecdote.

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
Yup - sorry for not being clear. Let me try to re-phrase it.

Are there any other anecdotes / incidents (apart from the tweet shared by @MP3Mike) where firmware downloaded directly from Setec's website caused permanent damage during use to their Tesla?

I'd like to know because I haven't observed any, and if there are it will alter the risk profile I have about using this adapter. I've been working under the assumption that firmware that is directly downloaded from the Setec hasn't yet caused any incidents of damage to a Tesla
The experimental firmware was available directly from Setec. You seem to be implying that Setec is not responsible for the damage caused to vehicles. They clearly did not understand what their experimental firmware would do and how the car would respond.

The experimental firmware was available directly from Setec. You seem to be implying that Setec is not responsible for the damage caused to vehicles. They clearly did not understand what their experimental firmware would do and how the car would respond.
I'm not defending Setec. I don't know who is more "responsible" if a user decides to use "experimental" firmware - I have no idea how that is obtained, because I've only ever used the website to get firmware - although I did once DM a user to get an older firmware that was no longer listed on the website.

I have no agenda here - my question is exactly as it is stated, no more no less. If Setec gets sued I couldn't care less, I just want to have a better idea of how much risk I'm taking if I use firmware downloaded from the website.

Define 'experimental.'

SETEC is obviously using its customers for alpha software testing. I understand why, but anybody who does not see the risk is being a fool and/or hoping that Tesla will cover when things go wrong.
This is my issue with blaming the experimental aspect of those firmwares.

Of necessity, each new firmware for both the adapter and the car becomes an experimental combination.

If it breaks something, setec isn't likely to help you with the damages.

I do think that is very unlikely with the current version, but it is still too risky for me personally.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Let's talk about this:
I just find that one strange because it is weirdly detailed but also vague at the same time
So you are suspicious of it because the wording is "weird". Well, I find that the wording seems sensible and on purpose.
(mentions experimental firmware but doesn't actually mention using it,
That's called contrast. If they didn't say anything about it, someone might just assume that it was the bad firmware. So they mentioned that they are aware that is a thing that exists and then contrasts it with saying that they were not using that, but were using a "safe" one. It's very clear and obvious why they said it that way.
mentions that it is the "Nth charge" but doesn't clarify if it was always using non-experimental firmware)
"Nth" just means they were not keeping a log book of every single time, so they don't remember exactly if this was the 23rd or 24th or whatever time that he had used it where the problem popped up. That means that he had used it some times before, but then this time it had a problem. And as specifically mentioned, this time was not using the non-experimental one. I do agree that it might have been helpful to mention if he had ever used that experimental one at all, but it's a detail he didn't remember to include.
it gives me the impression that it is trying to push an agenda rather than just reflect a cautionary anecdote.
It gives me the impression that you are just being overly nitpicky with someone not giving enough of the details that you want.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Just received an email from Setec. No one has submitted capture files showing the issue. My car has not updated firmware, and not sure I want to at this point. Anyone out there that has 2021.40 able to run the diagnostic and get to Setec?
I’m interested to see if anyone who has the new update has imported the official Korean CCS1 adapter and tried it out. The update adds a line in the information page about CCS adapter compatibility.

I personally don’t have that update yet. I think it’s a slower rollout on this one.

Last edited: