Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Setec CCS to Tesla Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Korean adapter is not pass through,
I am almost certain it is (will be when it is actually released).
current north america cars do not have the ability to handle CCS1,
Right, they will probably need to get a hardware retrofit for 2 or 3 hundred dollars, just like all of the existing Model S and X cars in Europe needed to do if they wanted to use their CCS adapter.
i don't know if its just the software or if there is more to it, but notice in europe they went to ccs2 (not ccs1).
It was not just software. In Europe, they had to retrofit different charging hardware into the cars to be able to communicate the CCS protocol with the (pass-through) adapter. And I don't think there really is much difference about whether this is CCS1 or CCS2. This will probably be almost the same situation.
I believe that even if the korean adapter makes it to market in the coming year, its highly likely it wont work in north america for some time after that.
Well yeah, that will be whenever Tesla starts offering the car retrofits, which they probably will not if the only avenue is people grey market importing them from South Korea.
Setec is working hard to resolve this issue right now
No, they are not working on that issue at all. Setec is working on an entirely different issue. They are not trying to pass CCS into the car, like the official adapters from Tesla are doing (will do). What Setec is doing is some pretty complicated conversion protocol to fool the car into thinking it is getting one of the two fast charging protocols it already is built to understand: CHAdeMO or Supercharger.
and all of my dealings with Setec shows a company who is dedicated to resolving issues as quickly as possible (remember covid makes it virtually impossible for them to have boots on the ground in north america).
Yes, agree. They are working on a very challenging task, and do seem very active in trying to make it work.

The Korean adapter is not pass through,
The adapter is just pass through. (No electronics in the adapter.) Though it may require a retrofit on older vehicles for it to work.

but notice in europe they went to ccs2 (not ccs1)
That is because CCS2 is the standard used in Europe. CCS1 is the standard used in NA and Korea.

The Korean adapter is not pass through, current north america cars do not have the ability to handle CCS1, i don't know if its just the software or if there is more to it, but notice in europe they went to ccs2 (not ccs1). I believe that even if the korean adapter makes it to market in the coming year, its highly likely it wont work in north america for some time after that.
Afaik, it is pass through. I agree with you that there are no guarantees of them making it work in the US, though. Even if the hardware is the same, they could easily limit the firmware based on the market.

But we are all just guessing on this part right now.

Please lets stop with the theoretical chat its filling up this topic with noise. I'm hoping we can stick to facts that we know and make some progress, the summary of current facts:

1. The Setec adapter is blocked in Tesla Firmware 2021.24.3 and later for Model 3/Y but not Model S (thats very interesting)
2. I have a call into Tesla and nobody has confirmed that this was intentional, I am waiting for an official reply
3. Setec is working to get their adapter working again with a new firmware update.

Thanks
Always good have an options.

Another thought about the SETEC adapter. Since it is basically a CCS-chademo protocol converter, they could probably adapt the same code/tech to let Nissan Leaf Users charge on CCS. That would be a big market.
I'm not sure, but I doubt that is what it is. It is a CCS -> Tesla CHAdeMO adapter output converter. As I don't think that Teslas can natively talks CHAdeMO; that is handled by the electronics in the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter. If they were talking CHAdeMO directly then Tesla shouldn't be able to detect it as an adapter, it would just look like a poorly implemented CHAdeMO charge station.

Reactions: lowtoast and jsight
Another thought about the SETEC adapter. Since it is basically a CCS-chademo protocol converter, they could probably adapt the same code/tech to let Nissan Leaf Users charge on CCS. That would be a big market.
I don't think so, as I don't think CHAdeMO is the output of the charger. Having said that, since they can talk CCS and they've managed to reverse engineer tesla's adapter protocol, one would think that they might also be able to figure out how to talk CHAdeMO on the output side if there was a significant market for that. I don't really see why it would be impossible, but I'd guess that its a lot of work.

Just returned from an attempt at the nearby EA charger that's 500 yards away from the house. This is one of the newest model charging cabinets that became active earlier this month. I went there because there's a promotional discount of 100% off (or free) charging for Labor Day Weekend.

Unfortunately, the Setec CCS adapter didn't work. So I used the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter instead, and that worked, giving out about 44Kw of power to 85% from 30% SOC, and took about 40 minutes. Not V3 supercharger speed, but still better than L2.

Kinda weird that they are giving out these versions to try. I wonder if they are testing it themselves first.
Not really. If there are K car types, L car software versions, and M brands of CCS chargers, likely with N software versions each, in order to do full interoperability testing one would need to have K x L x M x N test systems and do as many tests.
If K = 4 (S 3 X Y), L = 3 (last 3 versions), M = 5 (a wild, possibly optimistic guess), and N = 3 (last 3 versions - another guess).
They would have to have 180 different different vehicles. They could never make it selling a few thousand devices for only a few $ hundred if they were to maintain and use that much test equipment.
Much cheaper to pass to customers and wait for the complaints.

Not really. If there are K car types, L car software versions, and M brands of CCS chargers, likely with N software versions each, in order to do full interoperability testing one would need to have K x L x M x N test systems and do as many tests.
If K = 4 (S 3 X Y), L = 3 (last 3 versions), M = 5 (a wild, possibly optimistic guess), and N = 3 (last 3 versions - another guess).
They would have to have 180 different different vehicles. They could never make it selling a few thousand devices for only a few $ hundred if they were to maintain and use that much test equipment.
Much cheaper to pass to customers and wait for the complaints.
The other problem is they are not US based, and given Covid they can't exactly send someone here to test on a NA spec car. The original group that created this was Korean Tesla owners, but not sure if they are still involved. The current ones selling it are Hong Kong / China based and may not even have access to CCS1 for testing.

Reactions: sdmack
The other problem is they are not US based, and given Covid they can't exactly send someone here to test on a NA spec car. The original group that created this was Korean Tesla owners, but not sure if they are still involved. The current ones selling it are Hong Kong / China based and may not even have access to CCS1 for testing.
It is too bad that they can't make the firmware open source somehow. I bet some folks here would love to hack on it.

• Funny
Reactions: scottf200
Why. There are Chademos pretty much everywhere there are CCS. The exception being Electrify Canada/America sites. Not big players here. Chademo stations are still going in fast here. Tesla just installed 4 at a Supercharger 2 blocks from my house. Well, technically CCS/Chademo stations. But outside of Tesla’s , leafs are by far the second most popular EV brand here. I’m sure that will change with VW on the scene now. But it’s not like Chevy will be selling bolts anytime soon.