Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It will be a miracle if Uber is able to go public IMO. They lost $800M on $1.7B in revenue in Q3. Their last private round of $2B was raised at about $65B pre-money. I had a chance to invest...and didn't thankfully.

Self-Driving-Bazooka.png

Registrations in Norway so far in December: Model X 305, Model S 138, total 443. I expect some more to come.
How does that compare to 4Q15 and 3Q16?

On the Uber discussion? Yeah, I completely don't understand Uber's valuation - a company that produces nothing but a neat way of hailing a ride, that's never made a profit, is taking reckless risks, and even if it did profit would be doing so on the backs of their drivers violating the law in most of their cities - has a valuation double that of Tesla, a company owning 2 of the largest factories in North America AND selling 100k+ cars/yr at an ASP of ~100k and margins approaching 30%.

I know for sure in Toronto, where Uber has a healthy user-base, if the cops wanted to they could easily charge every Uber driver with operating an unlicensed taxi service. That's not right, and its no way for a company to do business. Never mind that most of their drivers personal-class insurance won't cover them if something bad happens while carrying a fare.

Last edited:
Where's Lucid? I thought they advertised their car autonomous capable; they've got enough hardware in it but if they aren't testing it out in the real world....

Good point, forgot about Lucid who is a startup out in CA. Supposedly they are working on a making their first car Level 5. The sensor suite includes solid-state LIDAR, radar and cameras. My guess is they are focused on the car platform development and are just starting on planning for the autonomous driving. They will need a prototype to test against which likely doesn't exist yet.

lucidmotors

Write me up as another that never really understood why Uber has such an insane valuation. They break or skirt the law, most places they operate. Their moat currently is nonexisting as Lyft and others show. What exactly is so valuable there? While as Racer said, Tesla has lots of moat and actually has achieved stuff.

Cobos

Maybe Uber's valuation is unjustified compared to TSLA because, as a private company, they don't have to deal with these shorts and the fossil fuel-funded misinformation campaigns.

An afternoon swan dive, like we just saw, is becoming almost as common as the mandatory morning dips for TSLA. This is because the morning dips don't do much good for the shorts any more, due to higher volumes. The exception to the swan dives is afternoons when rising stock price keeps volume high into the close. The good news about the swan dives is we're often seeing them neutralized by buying much sooner than in the past. Rather than a decline stretching into close, we're seeing a small decline halted by buying and sometimes a spurt upwards after it is caught.

swandive.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo and CatB
I honestly do not understand how Uber is a money-losing business. What is capital-intensive about a ride-hailing app that takes a cut of all fares?

Probably a dumb question, but what do they spend their money on? Drivers bring their own cars.

- Self-driving R&D?
- Satellite expenses/map creation R&D?
- Ads?
- Insurance?
- Lobbying/permits?

I'm not even sure if half of those expenses are significant and I still don't see how this company loses $800 million a quarter even if all 5 of those are going full bore. What am I missing?

Reactions: KLC13
Where's Lucid? I thought they advertised their car autonomous capable; they've got enough hardware in it but if they aren't testing it out in the real world....

At the Air reveal Lucid said the car would have the hardware at introduction and then they would add capability from one of the partners at a later date.

So I take it they are licensing the software and buying the hardware direct from the manufactures.

• Funny
Reactions: Jonathan Hewitt
I honestly do not understand how Uber is a money-losing business. What is capital-intensive about a ride-hailing app that takes a cut of all fares?

Probably a dumb question, but what do they spend their money on? Drivers bring their own cars.

- Self-driving R&D?
- Ads?
- Insurance?
- Lobbying/permits?

I'm not even sure if half of those expenses are significant and I still don't see how this company loses $800 million a quarter even if all 5 of those are going full bore. What am I missing?

I was under the impression it is lobbying and not charging enough in new areas in order to grow market share. I never understood how they have a market cap larger then Tesla. What is really confusing is why it didn't implode when the CEO of Uber said he would buy as many self driving Tesla as they could make and the market just stares blinking wondering why they would bother selling to you and not just right an app to hail and cut out the middle man.

Edit: Oh and I almost forgot... does Carl Icahn still own a $100 million position in lyft? Make of that what you will.

Last edited:
Defeated in San Francisco, Uber sends self-driving cars to Arizona on self-driving truck

Defeated in San Francisco, Uber sends self-driving cars to Arizona on self-driving truck

After being defeated in efforts to test self-driving cars in San Francisco without a permit, Uber Technologies Inc. packed up its fleet of cars and sent them to Arizona on Thursday — in a self-driving truck.

The ride-hailing company admitted defeat Wednesday evening, after the California Department of Motor Vehicles yanked the registrations of Uber’s self-driving cars. The move came after a tumultuous week that included Uber launching its self-driving pilot program in San Francisco with much fanfare, then proclaiming that the cars weren't actually self-driving cars once the DMV raised objections.
<Snip>

After being defeated in efforts to test self-driving cars in San Francisco without a permit, Uber Technologies Inc. packed up its fleet of cars and sent them to Arizona on Thursday — in a self-driving truck.

The ride-hailing company admitted defeat Wednesday evening, after the California Department of Motor Vehicles yanked the registrations of Uber’s self-driving cars. The move came after a tumultuous week that included Uber launching its self-driving pilot program in San Francisco with much fanfare, then proclaiming that the cars weren't actually self-driving cars once the DMV raised objections.
<Snip>

There gotta be some rules that say what is self-driving and what is not.

How about this: if there is a guy in the driver seat it's not "self driving".

I bet that truck is not self driving. It is a pile of bull sugar.

- Self-driving R&D?
- Ads?
- Insurance?
- Lobbying/permits?

The only way I can see for a company that does what Uber does to lose that much money is through gross mismanagement of the fares and payments to drivers (ie. selling the service for less than you're paying the drivers)

The numbers aren't a slam dunk but if we look at a number of factors I'm not worried about deliveries:

- VIN assignments off the charts this quarter
- No discounting of any sort this quarter - this is number 1 in my view, if they were low on sales I think they'd move to clear everything out as in Q3
- Repeated price increases (who would do this if sales were lagging?)
- If you read the X forums, there are very few reports of cars being promised in December and not being scheduled. I know, I know - sample size - but this year this has actually been a great predictor of overall deliveries. I was nervous earlier this month when I saw week delays on X due to AP2 changeover/Thanksgiving, but it appears the issues are resolved now and things are back on track.
- 5 seater issue resolved, deliveries happening
- Once again massive number of cars in transit at the end of Q3
- InsideEVs greatly overestimated Q3 deliveries (based on my model) because US deliveries were prioritized. I think they are missing the other way in Q4 (unless they report massive Dec numbers) because intl deliveries were the sole focus for the first 6-8 weeks of Q4.
- Historical practice of delivering more than production in Q4 (not sure this will apply here, but it mitigates any factory shutdown questions)

- VIN assignment could be to fill up the inventory and borrow against those from ABL? Seems like they have over 500 P100Ds in inventory, but only showing 33 on ev-cpo.com.
List of all P100D inventory cars

- We only need to look back at Q1 and Q2 to get an idea of sales when there was no openly widespread discounting. We can see some good discounts even now, on ev-cpo.com. If you are in for a P100D, this is a good time.

Sorry, I don't have time/desire to read or refute your other points. Apologies.

Reactions: Zhelko Dimic
Yes, my understanding is that they are subsidizing service to undercut the competition in order to go their business. If they csn kill the competition, then they are fre to increase fares as they see fit, and, if they can swing it, outside an local regulation. They have made a habit of pushing against local regulation. I have concerns that they will not be good citizens if the establish a monopoly in any area.

- Self-driving R&D?
- Ads?
- Insurance?
- Lobbying/permits?

I'm with you. It must take real skill to lose that much money with like no employees.

Status
Not open for further replies.