TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Should my car be jailed for DUI? :-D

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by aikisteve, May 9, 2018.

1. aikisteve

aikisteve Member

Yesterday I noticed that my car was ping ponging quite a lot when in traffic jams. I thought I would share the experience on how bad it actually was. Noticed this for a few releases now. Currently on 2018.14.2
    I was actually wondering if a police car would be behind me, whether I would have been pulled over for this driving behaviour.

2. scottm

scottm Version 9 software sufferer

watching your video, without sound... makes me kinda nauseous like sea sickness

I'd say yes, cop would be reasonably suspicious of DUI ... until she realizes it's a Tesla driving itself and would then shrug it off. Maybe she should write the ticket and mail it to Elon?

3. MoonChou

MoonChou Member

Depends on the car ahead of you based on my experience. If the car is centered you don't get the ping ponging, but if they are close to the side the car will try to match the car ahead in slower speeds. Once the speed picks back up the car will center itself in the lane again.

4. aikisteve

aikisteve Member

Unfortunately I ave the same experience when the car in front is dead center in the lane. So it does not depend on the position of the car in front. My guess is it is because it can't see the lane markings far enough ahead.