Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I used a touchless in Jan last year. It was about 20 and windy. Figured I'd run it home and dry it in the garage, having made the mistake of not doing the higher priced wash and crappy wax which included air drying. Big mistake. Those water drops were frozen hard in the few minutes it took to get home.

I'd not even try it in single digit temps if I were you, and I certainly wouldn't use ONR with heavy salt, or any other hard deposits, unless you don't care about major clear coat scratches. It won't be pretty. :(

Good argument for full Xpel!

I plan on heading to a hand wash place this weekend. Chicago had its first snowfall a few days ago and my car too looks like crap. In fact, I'm not sure if the cold/salt caused my front sensor to stop working. I can no longer pull into the garage and hear the audible sound when I approach a barrier. Hand washes are usually expensive, but I believe they are well worth it when temps are low.
Also in Chicago. Where do you go? I've taken past cars to hand-washing place on Milwaukee and Grand (can't remember the name). Interested in other options vetted by the community.

Also in Chicago. Where do you go? I've taken past cars to hand-washing place on Milwaukee and Grand (can't remember the name). Interested in other options vetted by the community.

I'm up north and go to chicago auto pros...they do full exterior for very reasonable price. In Glenview by the glen. They wrapped and cquartzed my S as well. PM for rate and referral. Long way from Milwaukee and grand though...lol. The garage under my building has a guy come in and he does an awesome job as well...that's at Clark and the river....want me to find out where else he operates? Also reasonable...

I couldn’t take it, I did the touchless and immediately drove home and into the garage. Small “crack” when the auto present handles popped out as a little ice was on them that the dryer didn’t fully get. The charge port was the same, it took a very light nudge to get it to open. I took a towel to it and plugged in. Garage is def a little warmer than outside, about 23 degrees. I’ll run the “‘camping mode” tonight and tomorrow on 81 degrees Fahrenheit for an hour or so. I don’t need to drive until Sunday.

I'm up north and go to chicago auto pros...they do full exterior for very reasonable price. In Glenview by the glen. They wrapped and cquartzed my S as well. PM for rate and referral. Long way from Milwaukee and grand though...lol. The garage under my building has a guy come in and he does an awesome job as well...that's at Clark and the river....want me to find out where else he operates? Also reasonable...
I also used CAP in glenview to XPEL my MS. I may just have to go up there for washes. Since my wife dailys the car it'll be a good chance to get to actually drive the thing!

Reactions: Sully's8
Yep! -2 in Chicago. Car was a salty mess, couldn't take it. Went to touch-less car wash then raced my frozen Tesla to my warm 52 degrees garage. Waited 1 hour to let everything thaw then finished it with water-less wash by hand, only took 30 min.

Touch-less car wash do not do a great job but got all the salt off.

Yeah I’m also having issues. It’s such a pain in the butt washing and then the car gets white washed in salt when I start to drive.

It seems pointless to wash the car until all salt on street is completely gone.

Also all of my cleaning products leave a white residue after driving in the freezing cold for a while. Another pain in the butt. Even after buffing really hard before cold exposure.

Any good sub zero cleaning products to use that are safe on a clear bra that won’t freeze? There has to be something. I’m guessing not even bother using cleaning products, just touchless water and micro fiber cloth?

I have been using the following products for 2 years and love them!. Use a good .Microfiber towel. I just went to Walmart and bought the best ones they had. The one I use come in a 6 pack.

Use to clean car. I do one panel at a time, spray on, let soak in about 15-30 sec depending on how dirty the car is. always wipe in one direction then dry with new towel.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...AF&pd_rd_r=CRTM2SGJKDA2H6Q3N9V6&pd_rd_w=VAnoj

Use every couple of months.
https://www.amazon.com/CarPro-Reloa...rd_wg=ywwCS&psc=1&refRID=B88MSK48W41SA51SMTEX

• Informative
Reactions: Bebop
In the winter, average Jan temp -4 C, I use a brushless machine wash found on gas stations, I guess you call them touchless. All machines here have air drying at the end of the program, also the cheapest program. Right after the wash, before you go home, dry all door openings and rubber seals with paper or cloth to avoid them freezing stuck. I guess the door handles are smart to dry also.

I too have a full xpel, so what is the "no rinse" solution you're using on it? My car is also a salty mess. . . hadn't even realized that the aluminum frame is immune to corrosion from salt. . . another good reason to own the S. Is the undercarriage all aluminum as well?

Thanks in advance. . .
Yes, the car is entirely aluminium (plus little bits of plastic, lithium, copper etc).

What is the difference between XPEL and CQuartz? Chicago Auto Pros looks like a great place. Has anyone done window tinting with them?

Performance. Durability. Excellence. - XPEL

Link above to xpel website....it's a film based protection that actually self heals...watch the videos.

The cquartz is a ceramic coating that is applied as a liquid and then baked under a special lamp to harden and add a layer of protection.

I also tinted with them....PM with your phone number and I'm happy to chat w you