Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sitting on the side of the highway with a flat tire ...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A doughnut spare is likely to have way more than 2% difference, so it shouldn't be a problem for a 19" tire either. Just take it easy. (I always put the doughnut spare on the non-drive axle as well, unless I'm literally only going a couple of blocks).

Have you thought about doing a blog on tires or other topics here on TMC? Your expertise is greatly appreciated and think a blog format where you could compose something for the common questions you get and solicit comments below the post would be great as well.

How would one do this if it is a drive-wheel tire that's flat?

Jack up the non-drive end first, put the doughnut on, jack up the drive end, put the tire removed from the non-drive position on the drive position. Of course, this only works if all four tires were originally the same size.

The new tire was a reasonable $115 installed (19's obviously) and was less than the $120 taxi fare for my family since they couldn't fit in the tow truck and which Tesla didn't cover.

Very interesting, as My SC quoted me almost 3x as much (which I politely declined) for a 19, installed. Not the first similar repair with drastically different pricing between SC's that I have heard of, though.

Problem with slime is my local tire shop in Sydney Australia says that it ruins the tire and they are not happy to repair a simple puncture if the stuff has been used. However, as far as I know, one of the Australian design rules for cars demands a spare of some type be present. I have had very many punctures over the past few years. My tires seem to be nail/ screw magnets! I have never used a tire repair kit, but may need to go that route. Waiting for a tow truck in the Sydney metro area is not fun and in the country /outback, I just shudder to think whether we would even have cell reception let alone a tow truck within a days call.

Problem with slime is my local tire shop in Sydney Australia says that it ruins the tire and they are not happy to repair a simple puncture if the stuff has been used. However, as far as I know, one of the Australian design rules for cars demands a spare of some type be present. I have had very many punctures over the past few years. My tires seem to be nail/ screw magnets! I have never used a tire repair kit, but may need to go that route. Waiting for a tow truck in the Sydney metro area is not fun and in the country /outback, I just shudder to think whether we would even have cell reception let alone a tow truck within a days call.

Not a fan of slime myself, as not only does it mess up the tire but it also destroys the tire pressure sensor so you can add another $50 - $100 to your repair costs.

Another flat tire incident!

Hi, guys,

Today, I was driving about 10-15 miles/hr on a local road, when I skimmed my passenger rear tire against a curb; however, once this occurred, I had a really bad feeling about it after having read through these forums. Needless to say, shortly afterward, I pulled into a nearby parking lot and put the car in Park, and while doing so, noticed the Low Tire Pressure sensor alert on the dash - I stepped out of the car and, indeed, there was about a 1.5 inch damage along the sidewall of the tire, leaking air. I will admit, I was disappointed that what I felt was a minor brush with the curb at a low rate of speed that this would result in this degree of damage :crying:

I called Tesla and was directed to a James at the main hub in Fremont. He was very helpful, arranging a flatbed tow truck to pick up my car and deliver it to the local Tesla service center in Houston. The employees there were also amazing and I was very reassured about that.

One thing took me by surprise, though - the tire price (retail?)was reportedly $720! :scared: (the employee told me that this quote may not be what I will be charged, but we will found out for sure tomorrow, this being a Sunday). Tire Rack is $540 (doesn't really ease the pain, either) but the service center apparently won't allow you to buy it from an outside source I was told.

One thing took me by surprise, though - the tire price (retail?)was reportedly $720! :scared: (the employee told me that this quote may not be what I will be charged, but we will found out for sure tomorrow, this being a Sunday). Tire Rack is $540 (doesn't really ease the pain, either) but the service center apparently won't allow you to buy it from an outside source I was told.

That's BS. AFAIK their policy is to refuse to mount non-OEM tires. So as long as your shipping them the 19" goodyears, michelins, 21" conts or michelins they should accept it and install it. They cannot mount any other "non-factory approved" tire for legal reasons I think.

Another flat tire

Hi, everyone,

Last night I got another flat tire after driving over a relatively shallow pothole here on the streets of Houston, TX (near Chinatown/Bellaire). I was going maybe 30 miles/hr, and when I drove over the small pothole, it didn't seem like any significant issue, except for the fact that I now realize these low profile tires have a very, very low threshold for damage (in other words, I would not have thought twice about it, if in my other car).

I may have to sell the Tesla, as it is not compatible with the road conditions where I live (inner loop of Houston, where many of the roads are poorly-maintained). 2 flat tires in 2 months of ownership! Anyone interested in a 2 month old P85+ fully loaded with < 2,000 miles. :crying:

Hi, everyone,

Last night I got another flat tire after driving over a relatively shallow pothole here on the streets of Houston, TX (near Chinatown/Bellaire). I was going maybe 30 miles/hr, and when I drove over the small pothole, it didn't seem like any significant issue, except for the fact that I now realize these low profile tires have a very, very low threshold for damage (in other words, I would not have thought twice about it, if in my other car).

I may have to sell the Tesla, as it is not compatible with the road conditions where I live (inner loop of Houston, where many of the roads are poorly-maintained). 2 flat tires in 2 months of ownership! Anyone interested in a 2 month old P85+ fully loaded with < 2,000 miles. :crying:

Wouldn't the better solution be to just replace your 21" wheels with 19" ones?

This is my understanding as well. I was told that the P85+ cannot be changed to 19" wheels, unfortunately.

Tesla won't do it, but you can. The reasoning is that the stiffer rear bushings make the + slightly more prone to oversteer, so wider rear tires were added to compensate. You'd likely be OK on stock 19"s, but Tesla figures they put that safety margin in there, and installing regular 19"s makes them liable if something happens to you.

If you're worried, go aftermarket. You can stagger 19"s or 20"s with no trouble at all.

Just replace with 19's. It's not like you're tracking it. Any other performance car you substitute it with you would have to make the same sacrifice. I would say if money is not an object, you should save your 21's for special occasions (car shows, track day, etc.) and use 19's as your daily driver. I have both 19's and 21's and just leave winter tires on the 19's for use 7-8 months out of the year. I actually feel like I don't driver aggressively enough to even need the 21's, as the 19's are actually quite grippy unless you are really pushing it. (Which you wouldn't be in Houston traffic anyhow)