Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smelly stinky socks / mold in Model 3 AC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I installed yesterday and it was actually pretty easy

IMG_1477.jpg

Reactions: Suspect
It looks like you have the extra seal going around the edge of the Frunk lid. Is the airflow in the AC intake still working well? I have the same set up and was reluctant to install the water seal.

So far, I have not noticed any decrease in air flow. It seems to be about the same or the decrease so small that it's not noticeable.

It looks like you have the extra seal going around the edge of the Frunk lid. Is the airflow in the AC intake still working well? I have the same set up and was reluctant to install the water seal.
If you don't want the seal to be airtight you can leave a gap at the side. You just are looking to keep the water out of the air intake, which for some reason sits right where the water would go. For that matter, how good was it keeping water out of the frunk? I never noticed any water there but also don't use it much. I just keep the leftover washer fluid bottle there until I can empty it.

And in the end it hasn't been truly determined if water going into the AC is the problem with the smell.

Reactions: XPsionic
If you don't want the seal to be airtight you can leave a gap at the side. You just are looking to keep the water out of the air intake, which for some reason sits right where the water would go. For that matter, how good was it keeping water out of the frunk? I never noticed any water there but also don't use it much. I just keep the leftover washer fluid bottle there until I can empty it.

And in the end it hasn't been truly determined if water going into the AC is the problem with the smell.
Yeah, it haven't been proven this actually is the cause or that it solves the smell. Even from the video, the person didn't test it long enough to determine if the smell doesn't return even with this mod.

From the video, the water seems be pulled in only when the fan is at very high speed while outside is raining hard, so it might not matter for many people that don't run their fan that way.

I personally only run the fan at the highest settings when outside is hot enough (but not so hot AC is needed), so generally not when it is raining.

Why are these under hood deflectors becoming a thing all of a sudden?

I've had this for like two years. It doesn't work. Smell comes back. Sorry everyone. I don't think it made a difference at all.

I purchased it from AliExpress for around $10.
You're right, of course these don't work. There's a viral video online where someone showed cabin air fan sucking in water during heavy rain. Valid point and totally a design flaw. However the smell in the AC system is due to moisture causing mold and bacteria to grow in the AC coils, drain, and sometimes the air filters. Guess what? AC coils will always be pulling moisture out of the air during operation, therefore, sucking in rain water or not, the moisture/mold problem will happen.

It helps NOT to suck in rain water or car wash water, but it is definitely NOT going to eliminate the smell problem since there's another constant source of moisture entirely.

Why are these under hood deflectors becoming a thing all of a sudden?

I've had this for like two years. It doesn't work. Smell comes back. Sorry everyone. I don't think it made a difference at all.

I purchased it from AliExpress for around $10.
It's from this video that went viral that claims the problem is the water getting into the filter. I posted, the link, but I already mentioned it's unlikely the problem for most people, although perhaps it might be for some.

• Informative
Reactions: P3dStealth
You're right, of course these don't work. There's a viral video online where someone showed cabin air fan sucking in water during heavy rain. Valid point and totally a design flaw. However the smell in the AC system is due to moisture causing mold and bacteria to grow in the AC coils, drain, and sometimes the air filters. Guess what? AC coils will always be pulling moisture out of the air during operation, therefore, sucking in rain water or not, the moisture/mold problem will happen.

It helps NOT to suck in rain water or car wash water, but it is definitely NOT going to eliminate the smell problem since there's another constant source of moisture entirely.
AC coils are always wet in any AC installation. What makes this one so special that mold grows?

AC coils are always wet in any AC installation. What makes this one so special that mold grows?
Previously it was because Tesla didn't have a coil drying mode (which I remember reading was a feature in a lot of other cars). They later added one in an update, but I've seen it suggested that it's still not aggressive enough.

Other theories about the HVAC design have not been as well proven and the core issue have not really been found (like the fix that fixes things long term besides coil cleaning).

Last edited:

I get the smell when it's just humid out. Doesn't necessarily have to rain. So yea I think you are correct. The filters get wet from both the intake and the coil. The drain is pretty much under the filters if you look at it. I gave up and just live with it. The smell is gone this time of year (winter). Will come back in summer. Nothing you can do to stop it.

Reactions: XPsionic
I get the smell when it's just humid out. Doesn't necessarily have to rain. So yea I think you are correct. The filters get wet from both the intake and the coil. The drain is pretty much under the filters if you look at it. I gave up and just live with it. The smell is gone this time of year (winter). Will come back in summer. Nothing you can do to stop it.
Yeah, I'm pretty much the same boat. The smell is the worst when the AC cycles off after being on. This means when outside temperature is slightly hotter the interior temperature set point, the car smells the worst because AC keeps turning on and off instead of staying on or off.

Perhaps that's one of the reasons why cars in colder or hotter climates can go months without smelling terrible. As long as the AC keeps running, or never runs, it doesn't stink. It's the AC cycling OFF after being on for a while (at least 10 minutes) that smells the worst in my car.

I found that if I manually turn the fan on high with the AC off after every drive, it extends the smell free days after foam cleaning. Instead of smelling good for only 2 months after cleaning I can eek out about 3.5 months. But once the car start to stink, this method doesn't do anything.

Also tried Microban and Mold control sprays on the AC coils/fan blades/intake recirculation flap/filters, neither worked. Only big 19oz cans of foam on coil worked, but only lasts for 2-4 months. New filters fall into the same category as mold control sprays, they seem to work for a few days, but then the smell comes back as soon as the AC is cycled.

Speculation I've read says maybe the fins in the Model 3 are too near horizontal and traps more moisture. I'm not sure of the real reason.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm pretty much the same boat. The smell is the worst when the AC cycles off after being on. This means when outside temperature is slightly hotter the interior temperature set point, the car smells the worst because AC keeps turning on and off instead of staying on or off.

Perhaps that's one of the reasons why cars in colder or hotter climates can go months without smelling terrible. As long as the AC keeps running, or never runs, it doesn't stink. It's the AC cycling OFF after being on for a while (at least 10 minutes) that smells the worst in my car.

I found that if I manually turn the fan on high with the AC off after every drive, it extends the smell free days after foam cleaning. Instead of smelling good for only 2 months after cleaning I can eek out about 3.5 months. But once the car start to stink, this method doesn't do anything.

Also tried Microban and Mold control sprays on the AC coils/fan blades/intake recirculation flap/filters, neither worked. Only big 19oz cans of foam on coil worked, but only lasts for 2-4 months. New filters fall into the same category as mold control sprays, they seem to work for a few days, but then the smell comes back as soon as the AC is cycled.

Speculation I've read says maybe the fins in the Model 3 are too near horizontal and traps more moisture. I'm not sure of the real reason.
NY area and multiple friends with up to five year old M3, never serviced the cabin filters and no smell

Maybe a southern thing

NY area and multiple friends with up to five year old M3, never serviced the cabin filters and no smell

Maybe a southern thing
no issues here in North Texas after 4+ yrs and 38k miles...

but... i ALWAYS have AC on "auto" and ONLY use cabin overheat with "fan only".

friends of mine have the smell issue here but they run "cabin overheat" with AC on. My theory is that parking the car on a hot , sunny day outside and having just the fan run will dry out the coils and filter nicely.... whereas with cabin overheat and AC on you always have the moist coils and potentially humidity soaking the filter.....

friends of mine have the smell issue here but they run "cabin overheat" with AC on. My theory is that parking the car on a hot , sunny day outside and having just the fan run will dry out the coils and filter nicely.... whereas with cabin overheat and AC on you always have the moist coils and potentially humidity soaking the filter.....
Cabin overheat also keeps temps lower, which gives the car less of a chance of killing off whatever is causing the smell. Fan-only may not be able to do that.

Same settings here but the car stinks. Overheat fan only, ac on auto.