Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So… Highland is out…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's my wish for 2024.

Tesla have listened to criticism of buttons on the Highland and change them to larger haptic buttons either side of the steering wheel for the Juniper MY refresh. Then offer it as a heavily discounted retrofit for us Highland early adopters😊

Here's my wish for 2024.

Tesla have listened to criticism of buttons on the Highland and change them to larger haptic buttons either side of the steering wheel for the Juniper MY refresh. Then offer it as a heavily discounted retrofit for us Highland early adopters😊

Buttons on either side, just like the Ferrari 458 which also hasn't gone down well. :D

Ferrari 458 Steering wheel

Buttons on either side, just like the Ferrari 458 which also hasn't gone down well. :D

Ferrari 458 Steering wheel
Had a 458 for over a year and those indicators absolutely were not a problem, largely due to the fact the steering ratio is a lot tighter (like a go kart), the wheel is smaller, and the buttons are large, physical and in a natural place for your thumbs.

Never heard of any complaints at all about it to be honest, but it was obviously a much smaller market.

Would critics of the buttons on the wheel be satisfied with them if a Cybertruck steer by wire was implemented ("170 degrees in either direction lock to lock")?

I feel this is more likely than changing the wheels / stalks at this point although probably not for this generation of 3/Y.
It would make it a hell of a lot better, that much is certain. Having both indicators on one side of the wheel is just staggeringly dumb though.

Maybe the buttons should reverse when the wheel is upside down so right is always right no matter the orientation of the wheel 🥸
I can’t think of many real world situations where that is even relevant.

That kind of steering lock is typically only found on mini roundabouts. No one changes their signal on a mini or very small roundabout. The exit simply comes up too fast and understandably people concentrate steering than signalling to exit.

Larger roundabouts where speeds are faster, the distance between exits is more than a few meters and where signalling is relevant tend to need less than 90 degrees steering angle.

Would critics of the buttons on the wheel be satisfied with them if a Cybertruck steer by wire was implemented ("170 degrees in either direction lock to lock")?

I feel this is more likely than changing the wheels / stalks at this point although probably not for this generation of 3/Y.
Yes that would be much better and as others say put left and right on either side of the wheel. Still think some members of the public won't accept that but it would be better.

Tesla often use hidden or obscure voice activations so perhaps Right Scroll Wheel -> "Turn signal Right" "Turn signal Left" or something similar are enabled?
Wouldn’t be quick enough for mid roundabout.

They’re more likely to say “indicating will be automatic when using nav”, and so it should be when FSD is working, there’s just one small flaw in the argument at the moment.

TBH, if I can't get on with the buttons on the steering wheel, I will get the S3XY buttons levers as its the car I want and they do a very professional job.
My present car is an SR+ and I added the Hansshow premium sound system for around £700 to bring the sound to concert level. I'm hoping the sound is acceptable on the RWD H.
You could say I should have bought the LR for the extra speakers but the RWD has more than enough punch and is £10,000 cheaper!

Reactions: ACarneiro
I'm hoping the sound is acceptable on the RWD H.

I read that Tesla have downgraded the bottom-of-range MY, in Canada, to remove premium audio - might be an indicator of things to come

Was: Premium audio – 13 speakers, 1 subwoofer, 2 amps, and immersive sound

Now: Custom audio – 7 speakers, 1 amp, and immersive sound (six fewer speakers and subwoofer removed)

If you are going to upgrade the audio anyway maybe it doesn't matter

I read that Tesla have downgraded the bottom-of-range MY, in Canada, to remove premium audio - might be an indicator of things to come

Was: Premium audio – 13 speakers, 1 subwoofer, 2 amps, and immersive sound

Now: Custom audio – 7 speakers, 1 amp, and immersive sound (six fewer speakers and subwoofer removed)

If you are going to upgrade the audio anyway maybe it doesn't matter
I understand the RWD 3H has 9 speakers against the 14 in the LR. That is two more than the SR+ I believe.
The Hansshow premium system added a sub woofer with its own amp in the original Tesla mounting position and supplied two more better quality speakers to replace the rear parcel shelf speakers along with a DSP (digital signal processor) and wiring loom that enabled the two front upper speakers that are not enabled on the SR+.
The sound now is amazing and I hope the RWD hasn't been crippled too much or I will do the same again.
Never been an issue with warranty issues that replaced the rear camera and wiper motor.