Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.39 4a3910f (plus other v9.0 early access builds)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it boils down to do you trust the car or not. I understand the skepticism. If you think the car's sensors and computer cannot be trusted as good as a person then you will probably always be skeptical of level 3 autonomy

I trust that the cars sensors can be better than a person, no doubt. I do not trust Tesla’s software development process that things are fully fleshed out before release to the public. I don’t think they do enough human factors testing and tend to release things that have known limitations, and then just use warnings buried in ever updating users manuals to deflect liability.

I work in flight test, and know how much human factors is a big safety issue. I don’t think Tesla fully takes that into account with their software designs.

There's a difference between doing a blind spot check at short range and checking that a car coming up from behind at a higher speed will not hit you 2 seconds after doing the lane swap. The car needs to look and check a lot further back down the road than the current blind spot systems do to enable auto lane change? There's no way you can rely on the ultrasonics to do that so they must be using cameras to know what the traffic behind is up to.

Well, I think that V9 is using the cameras now for blind spot detection. That is how it is able to display not just cars but trucks, motorcycles and pedestrians behind the car.

I trust that the cars sensors can be better than a person, no doubt. I do not trust Tesla’s software development process that things are fully fleshed out before release to the public. I don’t think they do enough human factors testing and tend to release things that have known limitations, and then just use warnings buried in ever updating users manuals to deflect liability.

I work in flight test, and know how much human factors is a big safety issue. I don’t think Tesla fully takes that into account with their software designs.

Which is probably why the software in Tesla's will forever be branded BetaVersion

Reactions: Az_Rael
From all the reports and videos I've seen, that no longer looks possible. The map is always 'on top' and you get to choose one other app for the lower part of the screen.
Thats a bummer. I liked that the backup camera is more on the top of the screen instead of the bottom, more in line of sight. But well there is something left for future updates :)

From all the reports and videos I've seen, that no longer looks possible. The map is always 'on top' and you get to choose one other app for the lower part of the screen.

F@#!@#$%!#$!!

What benefit do we receive from this change? Having the backup camera always on at the top of the screen is one of the most useful differentiating features of the Tesla. If this change were necessary for some reason, if it bought us something else, I could maybe get over it, but seriously, whhhhhhhhhhy?!

I hope than even when the car changes lanes automatically it gives you a small heads-up. In theory it should turn on the blinker at least a couple of seconds before initiating the lane change, right?

It sure should if it's going to comply with the law. Of course, in some places, turning on your turn signal is a surefire way to ensure that the hole you were planning to occupy disappears quickly.

F@#!@#$%!#$!!

What benefit do we receive from this change? Having the backup camera always on at the top of the screen is one of the most useful differentiating features of the Tesla. If this change were necessary for some reason, if it bought us something else, I could maybe get over it, but seriously, whhhhhhhhhhy?!

Solution: put the camera on the bottom and simply flip the MCU upside down.

Can you imagine going to the FAA and telling them you have this great system which will auto land an airplane. You're going to run advertisements that says it can auto land. The user interface will say auto land..... But, the pilot is responsible at all times and if it fails to flare at the end, that's the pilot's fault...

One interesting way the FAA deals with failures is that they assume the pilot will take between 3 and 10 seconds to react to the failure. I've been in an airplane before having manually failed a system, having to count 1,2,3 before the pilot was allowed to touch the controls. Depending on how off course the airplane got in those 3 seconds would determine where you could use that system (like how close to the ground)

The SAE recognizes this too- L3 autonomy is supposed to give the user 10 seconds to obey a take over command. Right now, none of Tesla's stuff is close to this.

It sure should if it's going to comply with the law. Of course, in some places, turning on your turn signal is a surefire way to ensure that the hole you were planning to occupy disappears quickly.

It does enable blinker, prior to turning, and disable it once it merges into another lane. Merging to another lane also become much smoother.

So I don’t see anything that FSD buyers get with v9.0 that wouldn’t already come with EAP? Didn’t Elon say some FSD features were coming with v9.0?

He said with v9, but not at initial release. So, assuming things don’t change(again) first differentiating features sometime before v10.

EDIT: oh, also, all FSD features require HW3 upgrade.

Reactions: scottf200