Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.39 4a3910f (plus other v9.0 early access builds)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My take on this.....never relaese code on the weekends. It doesn't matter what company you work for, you will never have as much support (globally) to fix issues if they arise on the weekend as you would Mon-Thurs.

AI will fix this and may have done so for somsome companies but until further notice....this is truth

That sounds right. I was at the SC today to help orient new M3 owners (pretty much a bust though). The owners there had a chance to chat with a senior tech. I asked if he could push 2018.39 in gratis for our help. He said "not yet" but they had a long conference call late Friday. He said to expect it "this weekend".

Just anecdotal, but somewhat corraborative. I hope he is right.

• Love
Reactions: EinSV
You’re making unfair assumptions. First, you’re assuming that the autopilot is disconnecting itself under its own guise. I’m referring to a catastrophic failure. Two different things.

Secondly, in the air, you don’t have other planes 16” from you, guard rails, concrete barriers, etc. The requirements for complexity of an aircraft autopilot are much less than a street-level autopilot. Hence the reason they’ve been in use since the 1960’s and cars still don’t have them.

Last, if you don’t think an autopilot failure can put an aircraft at risk, then I question your background as you present it. Gyro drift, servo failures, pilot dialing in the wrong settings, pressing the CDI/NAV buttons, etc. plenty of reasons why it can fail and put the aircraft at risk.

Automotive History Capsule: Chrysler’s 1958 Auto-Pilot -56 Years Before Tesla’s Autopilot

Oh look a very basic autopilot feature was in a car in the 50s.

Planes use autopilot more than cars but to say cars don't use any such autopilot features at all is just ignoring all the driver assistance features that are common in cars.

Automotive History Capsule: Chrysler’s 1958 Auto-Pilot -56 Years Before Tesla’s Autopilot

Oh look a very basic autopilot feature was in a car in the 50s.

Planes use autopilot more than cars but to say cars don't use any such autopilot features at all is just ignoring all the driver assistance features that are common in cars.
The "autopilot" feature in the Chrysler was nothing more than cruise control plus a basic overspeed warning. Plus the article you linked to directly supports the position of the comment you seem to be disagreeing with:

The term “autopilot” has been around a long time, and does not intrinsically imply full autonomy. Sperry offered the first aviation version back in 1912 by Sperry, a device that connected a gyroscopic heading indicator and attitude indicator to hydraulically operated elevators and rudder. It simply reduced a pilot’s workload, but was hardly all-encompassing. Its features were expanded over the decades to encompass wider aspects of piloting, to near autonomy today. But flying is very different than driving, and the tasks and the processing demands are not really comparable.

The "autopilot" feature in the Chrysler was nothing more than cruise control plus a basic overspeed warning. Plus the article you linked to directly supports the position of the comment you seem to be disagreeing with:

No it actually corrects the person I was replying to. Notice that person said 1960s for planes and the article said 1912.

and the concept is no matter how different flying is vs driving both cars and planes have driver/pilot assistance and have for many decades. His contention was that planes have it and cars don't.

You can say planes have more thorough systems or that they just don't need as thorough a system to keep up, but neither of those is the same as saying cars don't have it at all.

No it actually corrects the person I was replying to. Notice that person said 1960s for planes and the article said 1912.

and the concept is no matter how different flying is vs driving both cars and planes have driver/pilot assistance and have for many decades. His contention was that planes have it and cars don't.

You can say planes have more thorough systems or that they just don't need as thorough a system to keep up, but neither of those is the same as saying cars don't have it at all.
They were talking about features with a higher level of autonomy, which is what most people think of when they hear "autopilot", rather than cruise control or the aviation equivalent (even if those systems are also properly called "autopilot"). It's certainly true that automotive autonomy lags behind aviation autonomy, in large part because of the much larger number of constraints on automobiles, especially in real-world conditions.

My point was originally that Tesla has taken the same approach with their autopilot as planes - that the pilot (driver) is ultimately responsible for the operation of the vehicle. Another fellow commented that he disagreed, and that aircraft autopilots are designed that if they fail the pilot has 7-10 seconds (or whatever it was) to be able to recover the aircraft, and Tesla does not allow for that. To which I made the point that aircraft don't have to worry about concrete barriers, other aircraft 16" off their wing, etc. In making that point, I said that is why planes commonly started using autopilots in the 1960's (sure, they were around much before that, but not common), and automobiles have not.

Comparing standard auto cruise control to a 1960's-era wing leveler, altitude hold, and CDI following is still comparing apples and oranges.

Hopefully you can appreciate the recap.

Reactions: navguy12
Traffic on a LAN...

.13.25 is the car.

Being setup up ?

Attachments

• sept_27_2018.jpg
    sept_27_2018.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 94
  • sep_28_2018.jpg
    sep_28_2018.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 85
I read as much as I could before posting my own opinion. Its great that V9 has all these cool things coming our way. Sucks that having AP1 limits what I'll be able to have in my MS. Seems like Tesla only cares now about there newer cars with AP2 and the model 3.....smh.

My point was originally that Tesla has taken the same approach with their autopilot as planes - that the pilot (driver) is ultimately responsible for the operation of the vehicle. Another fellow commented that he disagreed, and that aircraft autopilots are designed that if they fail the pilot has 7-10 seconds (or whatever it was) to be able to recover the aircraft, and Tesla does not allow for that. To which I made the point that aircraft don't have to worry about concrete barriers, other aircraft 16" off their wing, etc. In making that point, I said that is why planes commonly started using autopilots in the 1960's (sure, they were around much before that, but not common), and automobiles have not.

Comparing standard auto cruise control to a 1960's-era wing leveler, altitude hold, and CDI following is still comparing apples and oranges.

I'm grabbing my popcorn for this!
f71.gif

I am completely mind-boggled that people even attempt to compare planes with cars... and consistently come back to the wording "Autopilot" and somehow driver is ultimately responsible is a strange concept.

Someone made a comment some posts back that trying to explain to FAA you crash because autopilot failed.

And before someone jumps out and say... in an aircraft autopilot certification blah blah blah nonsense and time for pilot to react blah blah blah... It somehow gives me the feeling that these people have never driven a car before...

When you encounter an emergency or sticky situation on the road, were you given any amount of seconds to react but as instant as humanly possible? So it is mind-boggling that people expect time for reaction on an automobile autopilot system... cos personally even when the car is fully capable of driving itself without any human intervention... I still wouldn't expect the car to warn me of an emergency and I would have 7-10seconds to react... in the case of a car... I would just expect that it will either have to deal with it on it's own or minimize any casualties.