Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.39 4a3910f (plus other v9.0 early access builds)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am completely mind-boggled that people even attempt to compare planes with cars... and consistently come back to the wording "Autopilot" and somehow driver is ultimately responsible is a strange concept.

Someone made a comment some posts back that trying to explain to FAA you crash because autopilot failed.

And before someone jumps out and say... in an aircraft autopilot certification blah blah blah nonsense and time for pilot to react blah blah blah... It somehow gives me the feeling that these people have never driven a car before...

When you encounter an emergency or sticky situation on the road, were you given any amount of seconds to react but as instant as humanly possible? So it is mind-boggling that people expect time for reaction on an automobile autopilot system... cos personally even when the car is fully capable of driving itself without any human intervention... I still wouldn't expect the car to warn me of an emergency and I would have 7-10seconds to react... in the case of a car... I would just expect that it will either have to deal with it on it's own or minimize any casualties.

I have been thinking about the same the last couple of days. How is the car going to predict that you need to take over in 7-10 seconds? I can only imagine the scenarios where the maps stop at a certain point (or highway exit) or it goes from traffic jam to normal speed (that is probably the Audi system works in that case although they can't active it in the USA)

Reactions: APotatoGod
I have been thinking about the same the last couple of days. How is the car going to predict that you need to take over in 7-10 seconds? I can only imagine the scenarios where the maps stop at a certain point (or highway exit) or it goes from traffic jam to normal speed (that is probably the Audi system works in that case although they can't active it in the USA)
Yea... I can only imagine scenarios where it is not urgent would it actually have time to ask you to take over

C4755AC9-224E-4F58-B8BE-72985A9DEE3C.jpeg

This is sad news....:(
It seems a bit more pragmatic to release it initially without the automatic lane changes considering how much has changed.

That allows them a few weeks to see how the side/rear monitoring works across an entire fleet.

My only concern would be if regulatory concerns prevented them from enabling it.

The way I've understood level 3 (and I'm not an expert on auto autonomy, so I could be wrong here) is that in a failure of the autonomous system, the car would be able to safely pull over or otherwise get itself to a safe place if needed, meaning that it's not guaranteed to work in its entire domain like level 4, but it's able to be fully autonomous sometimes.

Edit: Did a little more reading, and it sounds like it's considered level 3 even if it requires immediate takeover, as long as it doesn't require active human monitoring otherwise. That still means it's unlikely to be 7-10 seconds in many/most cases.

Last edited:
Reactions: gearchruncher
I am a bit confused with that autopilot by navigation. You have to use turnsignal to confirm lane change. What is the difference with current situation? If I want a lane change I put on the turnsignal and car changes lane.

While not nearly as nice as the "unattended" EAP we have seen a few users demo, the new firmware is still pretty cool. It will:
1) Allow lane changes at any speed (not just above 30mph), and will slow down and find a place in traffic to merge. I used it today in heavy traffic to merge in moving 2-3mph. Was really impressive.
2) Suggest lane changes to pass slow moving traffic or to get ready for an upcoming exit/turn
3) Use maps to help with navigating tricky road sections... It was successfully driving on roads/turns it could never handle before today
4) Shows vehicles approaching from behind and in your blind spots (and if you have your blinker on, will show the lane line as red/will not merge until clear)
5) Displays different vehicle/object types (Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, Bicycles, Pedestrians)
6) Shows all adjacent lanes on highways (and traffic in at least the two adjacent lanes)