Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.39 4a3910f (plus other v9.0 early access builds)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The reports earlier in this thread said no.

There is reason to be somewhat excited by V9 on this front though.

The excitement comes from having video recordings provided by the dash cam video. Hopefully there will be so many of them that it convinces Tesla to really do more to cut down on the amount of false braking events.

It's really the only major issue I see with AP2.

An interesting aside, if Tesla has sold a total of around 250,000 cars and maybe 200,000 are AP 2 and above and there are a total of around 2,000 early access members that works out to about 1 in 100 owners in the program.

However, rather than randomly selecting, if they focused on selecting individuals with software back grounds they would probably get more useful feedback.

The last point that I haven't seen anyone mention is with all of the security built into the system how are they "rooters"/"hackers" getting access to this software without it being downloaded to their cars?

Reactions: Helmuth and MIT_S60
The last point that I haven't seen anyone mention is with all of the security built into the system how are they "rooters"/"hackers" getting access to this software without it being downloaded to their cars?
Hearing the guy talk in the YouTube vids it sounds like Tesla posted the firmware image to an unsecured host and people just started downloading it. So very poor security practices and kind of alarming actually.

Hearing the guy talk in the YouTube vids it sounds like Tesla posted the firmware image to an unsecured host and people just started downloading it. So very poor security practices and kind of alarming actually.

Access to the firmware bits gets you precisely nothing without hacking the car to install it. That has nothing to do with "very poor security practices".

Hold your horses... They post the firmware, encrypted, to an obfuscated URL so that CDNs can cache it. The encryption key and location of the firmware is distributed to each car over an OpenVPN SSL VPN from the mothership.

People with rooted cars can intercept this information and then tell other people about it.

This doesn’t sound terribly unreasonable. The only thing that’s missing is live image signing that enforces a whitelist of cars allowed to load that firmware.

Distributing 1GB of truly per-car-unique firmware to a quarter million cars around the world every 2-3 months would otherwise be quite a costly undertaking.

Hold your horses... They post the firmware, encrypted, to an obfuscated URL so that CDNs can cache it. The encryption key and location of the firmware is distributed to each car over an OpenVPN SSL VPN from the mothership.

People with rooted cars can intercept this information and then tell other people about it.

This doesn’t sound terribly unreasonable. The only thing that’s missing is live image signing that enforces a whitelist of cars allowed to load that firmware.

Distributing 1GB of truly per-car-unique firmware to a quarter million cars around the world every 2-3 months would otherwise be quite a costly undertaking.
Thank you, I stand corrected.

Okay guys and gals, it's happening FOR REALS now:

Looks like Drive on Nav will follow shortly, but all the other options are rolling out now.

While interesting, the only thing I really care about in V9 is the Drive on Nav function. Now that that's being held back, I'm not so sure I want to take a major release right away for fear of significant bugs / disabling my car.

It seems to be version 2018.39.5 a1c2332 and someone on Reddit got the update right now:

AZuch7W.jpg

While interesting, the only thing I really care about in V9 is the Drive on Nav function. Now that that's being held back, I'm not so sure I want to take a major release right away for fear of significant bugs / disabling my car.

Waiting a couple weeks after a major release is never really a bad idea. That way you avoid any particularly ugly bug.

With that being said there is a substantial amount of stuff within V9.0.

If I'm not mistaken V8.2 currently only has two cameras connected up to Neural Networks, and V9 will bring it up to 8 (exact number still to be confirmed).

It's essentially the foundation that the drive-on-nav will rely on. I plan on installing it as soon as I can because it will give me a pretty good idea if drive-on-nav will work.