Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.39 4a3910f (plus other v9.0 early access builds)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So Tesla can obviously easily see whether a vehicle is running software it isn't supposed to. Would people doing this risk being banned, lose supercharging access, warranty, etc? Are there any terms that state touching your own car is not allowed?
Tesla can see it being done, yes. They certainly can probably do and threaten to do a whole bunch of stuff, but legality of much they threaten is unknown.

So far I have not seen supercharging access being threatened, at most firmware updates were on the table as being removed. Obviously don't get into any accidents too ;)

@Mobster I might have to admit I was wrong or too optimistic, given all the current AP2.5-only updates. I still hope it’s just too soon to declare. :(

yeah...who knows? It may be too soon. I liked the optimistic posts where people said all would get V9 on Monday. Others said it is out weeks ahead. That's what makes this forum interesting. We are all just "guessing" what Tesla is thinking and doing. Fun.

Reactions: chillaban
Thanks. Do you still get normal OTAs?
I don't know. I was trying to resist installing out of band softwares on this car, but the v9 was too much of a lure to resist. Reportedly the list I am on would prevent future software updates being initiated by Tesla (for who knows how long). This is a brand new blacklist too, so entire dynamics are not 100% known. One can hope they'll just dissolve it after wide v9 push, right? right?

On my first car that got into a (different kind of) blacklist, I was only getting the most important of the most important security updates and even asking a service center/ranger for a new version was a bit of a struggle since there was clearly some approval needed in the background to make that happen. But I know people on different blacklists that are more tame than that where thye can roll by SC and get a new firmware update by just asking.

If it worked well in those limited areas then why pull the feature? At least give it to us with confirmation on the ideal highways, right?

Because Musk does not seem to want to release a limited feature, he seems to want to wait until it is a full feature ready to "work well everywhere" per his tweet.

You are both assuming this sentence: "Extremely difficult to achieve a general solution for self-driving that works well everywhere." implies that the drive on NAV feature was planned to be enabled on all highways everywhere which is why it was pulled.

Yes, but I think it is a safe assumption. "works well everywhere" would certainly seem to imply all highways everywhere.

I have an eye condition where one eye is super blurry without contacts.
In the 1980s when contacts were not that great, I drove for 5 years with vision in just one eye.
When I was standing still, I had no clue how far things were from me, even a foot away.
But, when I was moving my brain was able to compensate and I could judge distance without a problem. Have no idea how it did that, but it surely worked very well were I felt comfortable and never crashed.
With 36.2 in my Model S the cars adjacent to me show up in rough distance from me relative to the lead car. It is kind of crud but the system is able to judge distance to vehicles around you.
A monocular camera can resolve 3d information from its own movement by tracking the spacial translation of points in its view. This can also be used algorithmically and is called SLAM (simultaneous localisation and mapping). Check YouTube for examples.
Can be used to build 3d maps on the field of view of a vehicle by tracking subsequent frames. Does not have the spatial resolution of LIDAR, but can be sufficiently high res (supposedly around 10cm).

Big improvements in AP in version 9.0.
Seems to be the most agile version I’ve driven yet.
Currently very far from freeways so I cannot test out any of the drive on nav features until Monday.
A few quick observations.
The avatar for my car is noticeably smaller.
I assume this is to accommodate more lanes in the IC
Cars approaching from the rear in adjacent lanes now are visible and identified more specifically by vehicle type.
Cars, Smaller Trucks/Vans & Semi’s…
For the first time ever I was able to initiate an auto lane change on a road that was not a freeway (101)
Although, not perfect, merging or deciding which lane to be in when the number of lanes is either reduced or expanded on the highway seems to occur more intelligently. It now tends to remain in the right or left lane and merge more subtly with less confusion and/or sudden swerving to center in the temporarily apparently wider lane .
Pics of IC avatar, Semi...
View attachment 341103
View attachment 341107

Thanks for the feedback. Is that the distant car I also see on the display?

Yes, by enabling a feature that was already in the firmware but wasn't meant to be enabled in their country. Not by bypassing deep internal checks to block it from working on a specific road.

That again tells me that there was trouble using it on the highways they were planning to use it on. If it worked so well on those highways, why pull the feature? I think the answer is obvious... that it's not ready.

Again, we'll see how many weeks of validation really turns out to be. Once drive on Nav actually rolls out then we can judge it... all this talk before it officially rolls out is guessing and speculation.

Don't get me wrong I'm not hating on Tesla, or their progress with automating driving... but programming a computer to the job isn't easy... and there is very little room for mistakes (and when FSD is reality there is no room for mistakes).

I have this problem of phantoms on Highway from Neuchatel - Yverdon - La Broy every tunel they brake because of light and start using wipers but now it's ok I thing if you make the same trip 1-2-3 is learning. How many km do you have on your car mine is 12 000 I receive it end of march and go to NordCap trip on June on this trip only one phantom (9000 km).

I have about 15,000km on mine since June delivery, about 2/3rds of which on motorway in AP.

The phantom-braking seems to me to be very arbitrary and non-reproducible, with my current version doing it about once daily on average on the Autobahn. I'm beginning to suspect this frequency may lessen the longer one drives with the same software, but as I've had about 4 updates in as many months am unable to confirm this.

Have seen it happen going into, exiting and also in middle of tunnels, even with no other traffic around, at sharp shadows from trees or signs near road, at smooth but squiggly black tar patterns on a lighter road surface and at places with absolutely even lighting&surface where no discernible reason is apparent.

Whereas it is extremely annoying/shocking every time, the only real danger is some tailgater rear-ending me, so I always promptly let these Médecins Sans Frontières proceed about their urgent business.

What genuinely worries me is the stubborn persistence of Firetruck Super-Destruction mode, variously known amongst the cognoscenti as Furious Suicide-Demolition, Flagrant Self-Detonation or Flambéed Spectacular-Death ... in mockery of the much-vaunted and prety expensive Tesla FSD [Full Self-Driving] which, after several year's delay and the rigged "demo" video running only on the showroom loop since Nov.2016, has yet to put in any appearance.

If Tesla engineers cannot iron out this fatal glitch in the space of 2 years then I have to believe there is a more fundamental problem than just fine-tuning the software, and that it is in fact insurmountable to make it L3 safe without hardware upgrades in the sensor package, i.e. greatly improved radar and/or LIDAR.

Having the dashcam snapshot feature will certainly help document these rare but extremely dangerous incidents, perhaps finally shaming Tesla into seriously tackling the issue in any case?

Reactions: yak-55
About the firetruck thing, thanks to @verygreen s excellent analysis videos from .10.4, I venture to say Tesla Vision is doing a good job recognizing distance from single cameras. In that video from the mid-range camera, cars off up to 150m are recognized, which is close to the range limit of AP2 multirange radar. So the long range camera should have longer pickup distances. Vision should also not have the problem of stopped vs. slowly moving.

Whereas the sensors undoubtedly "see" obstacles >=150m out, the problem is that at motorway speeds guesstimated >60kmh the system is programmed to more or less totally *ignore* input from the radar on large, hard, stationary objects in its planned path, ostensibly in order to avoid phantom-braking every several metres caused by the iron side rails, etc., and neither was the single mid-range camera in use to detect these obstacles, which leads directly to Firetruck Super-Destruction mode as described here, Phantom braking, etc. overflow from 2018.32.2 thread

I have also experienced the non-braking event in town on TACC at 30kmh, e.g. when turning into a side-street without following a lead car and coming upon stopped traffic within a short distance.

Therefore, while I sincerely hope the situation will rapidly improve with v9, I sadly cannot share your optimism.

I would love to get on that blacklist! And to dismiss the current update notification. I don't want to void my warranty, though.

This does not void your warranty! That would be illegal, it's your car, and you own it. Now, if you break say the CID, tesla doesn't have to fix it under warranty, but that's the same of anything. It's your computer, it's your car, own it and enjoy it!!

I'm not even sure how legal denying firmware updates to folks that tinker with their own cars is, assuming you do not systematically alter your car that the Tesla firmware no longer applies.

Everyone should come to the shadows and work together! The bigger the group, the harder it is for Tesla to ignore and ban us, but when we remain small and fragmented it hurts us more then them, however if people were to unite and share, oh the things that can be done!

Does

Does anyone know if the car will download the update which from what I understand can be about 9gb in size FIRST and THEN notify you that there is an update available ? Or does the update notification come up and then once you approve the install it starts the download process ?

The update has to be less then 1GB, anything over 1GB is the maps, this is a fact.

Does

Does anyone know if the car will download the update which from what I understand can be about 9gb in size FIRST and THEN notify you that there is an update available ? Or does the update notification come up and then once you approve the install it starts the download process ?

As @BigD0g mentioned, the update is under 1 GB, but, yes, the car will download the entire update before notifying you of the update. Once you get the update notice, you do not need a connection to install.