Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.39 4a3910f (plus other v9.0 early access builds)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A monocular camera can resolve 3d information from its own movement by tracking the spacial translation of points in its view. This can also be used algorithmically and is called SLAM (simultaneous localisation and mapping). Check YouTube for examples.
Can be used to build 3d maps on the field of view of a vehicle by tracking subsequent frames. Does not have the spatial resolution of LIDAR, but can be sufficiently high res (supposedly around 10cm).

What resolution of camera would be needed to deliver this 10cm 3D map at a distance of say 100m?

Everyone should come to the shadows and work together! The bigger the group, the harder it is for Tesla to ignore and ban us, but when we remain small and fragmented it hurts us more then them, however if people were to unite and share, oh the things that can be done!

I think if more information was publicly available, more people would be open to this. Similar to the early iPhone hacking communities.

There's a lot of Tesla owners with software backgrounds, including systems programming/debugging (me included), but speaking for myself: I don't have the bravery with the hardware, not super confident in fixing the problems I cause, and don't have a ton of time to deal with it.

Knowing it doesn't void the warranty is a big deal for me, because I can work my way around a Linux-like system no problem but if SCs won't look at my car anymore its a big no. Also supercharging is super important, so that has to continue working since I do road trips from time to time.

I'm still not brave enough to make that jump, but given my background I love nerding out about it. :)

(And as always, thanks to bigdog, verygreen, and others for sharing their findings with the community. This is hugely helpful!)

I think if more information was publicly available, more people would be open to this. Similar to the early iPhone hacking communities.

There's a lot of Tesla owners with software backgrounds, including systems programming/debugging (me included), but speaking for myself: I don't have the bravery with the hardware, not super confident in fixing the problems I cause, and don't have a ton of time to deal with it.

Knowing it doesn't void the warranty is a big deal for me, because I can work my way around a Linux-like system no problem but if SCs won't look at my car anymore its a big no. Also supercharging is super important, so that has to continue working since I do road trips from time to time.

I'm still not brave enough to make that jump, but given my background I love nerding out about it. :)

(And as always, thanks to bigdog, verygreen, and others for sharing their findings with the community. This is hugely helpful!)

Product Security | Tesla

• Informative
Reactions: questa and BigD0g
The diagnostic port (underneath the MCU) is locked with an encryption key that only Tesla service can unlock. This is an Ethernet port.

The APE to MCU Ethernet cable that @verygreen references is another Ethernet connection. That's the white cable you can use to tell the MCU to upgrade its firmware (but you have to have the firmware file on a server you can access, which is the obvious challenge).

• Love
Reactions: BigD0g
What resolution of camera would be needed to deliver this 10cm 3D map at a distance of say 100m?

Cameras are super high resolution these days, even the cheap ones, but the big problem with that (10cm at 100m) is not the camera resolution, but the lens. You need a really good lens to resolve that, and the lens must be stable over a wide temperature range and must not shift over time or you lose your calibration -- and you need a way to calibrate that accurately too. Also you're going to have problems in low light at that range with the vehicle moving (motion blur) unless you have a large lens and large sensor, and Tesla doesn't have any of this. They have like one step up from cell phone cameras and lenses. Take a peak at the size of the lenses on the AVs from Waymo and Cruise if you want to know what kind of camera you need for this stuff.

Another big problem with SLAM based on vision alone is moving objects. It works well for mapping stationary objects but if the things you're mapping are moving while you're moving you can't really separate their movement from your movement. It also requires a fair amount of processing horsepower, which Tesla is also stretched thin on.

Basically Tesla is completely screwed from doing any of the sophisticated things that the big boys (the ones with real sensor suites and processing power) can do.

• Informative
Reactions: yak-55 and OPRCE
i don't understand how people are saying v9 lane change are not limited to highway obviously are as they don't work outside of the highway.
In addition the cross country drive is clearly not happening this year as v9 is based off the latest version of their FSD software and elon already said he will never delay a feature in order for it to be perfect. The fact that you can't do a cross country using v9 with no disengagement shows you they are not close, even when it comes to gaming it!

i don't understand how people are saying v9 lane change are not limited to highway obviously are as they don't work outside of the highway.

First person account disagrees with you (for certain values of highway)

For the first time ever I was able to initiate an auto lane change on a road that was not a freeway (101)

In addition the cross country drive is clearly not happening this year as v9 is based off the latest version of their FSD software and elon already said he will never delay a feature in order for it to be perfect. The fact that you can't do a cross country using v9 with no disengagement shows you they are not close, even when it comes to gaming it!

How do you have v9 cross country data already?

Reactions: outdoors
First person account disagrees with you (for certain values of highway)

How do you have v9 cross country data already?

I hate to defend @Bladerskb but Elon has already stated CTC is off the table until alpha 10.0 and my money is also on the new ape unit he says is coming in three to six months Elon time. Heck, if you all see unattended lane changes in 2018 in standard firmware I’ll fall out of my chair.

Last edited:
I hate to defend @Bladerskb but Elon has already state CTC is off the table until alpha 10.0 and my money is also on the new ape unit he says is coming in three to six months Elon time. Heck, if you all see unattended lane changes in 2018 in standard firmware I’ll fall out of my chair.

Fair enough. I wasn't implying it would do it, just looking for clarification on the confidence that v9 couldn't.

Source? From what they’ve said to date, their FSD software is AP3 only.

Take this with a grain of salt:
I believe the current v9 is a reduced form of the FSD code base. Actual FSD functionality requires AP3.
Previously, the FSD development was separate from the EAP due to restarting the base NN/ algorithms. EAP's code was being improved to provide more/ better functionality without destroying what was there...