Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.39.5 a1c2332 (first 9.0 release)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a way to place the apps on the upper half of the screen. As someone who ALWAYS had the rear camera displayed on the top half of the screen, this is very disappointing. Hopefully if we give enough feedback they will bring back the option in a future update.

I know many of our local club members as well as my wife and myself who are very irritated to not have split screen that can be switched top to bottom and allow rear cam on upper half.Most of us don't use the nav app enough to justify it being on at all times at the top.

Did they re-send it? Mine failed on Saturday, and I've had a error message since then on the IC. I've called 3 times and they say it will be 3-5 days before they can re-send the update.
I finally got through to a human on Wednesday morning. He promised to escalate to the proper people but told me it could be a couple of days before they push it back out. Today is Friday and nothing yet.

I really don't like the loss of ability to move top half to bottom half of screen. I liked to place the map at the bottom and the rearview cam on top. Now I can't. I really don't like losing functions I was used to. I wish Tesla would quit trying to imitate Apple; adding useless adornments in place of real improvements is not admirable.
You took the words right out of my mouth.

Reactions: Superendo
My 2.0 AP Model S has driven about 100 miles on 39.6 now and I'm loving the ability to change lanes on local roads but am definitely noticing some regressions in spots where the lane line visibility is reduced for a moment, like the crest of a hill where a side street forms an intersection and the lane lines open up. Since 10.4 (AP rewrite), the car handled these situations by keeping it's path, but now I'm seeing a spot where it consistently pulls hard left like it's going to go into oncoming traffic. I have disengaged each time so I'm not sure how far it would have gone but it's scary.

I think these times when AP behavior changes so significantly are very dangerous times for drivers who are accustomed to the prior autopilot version behavior. Definitely keep your hands on the wheel and watch it closely on local roads.

Hopefully Tesla will refine the control algorithms again and local road behavior will become more stable.

Reactions: Daniellane
My notes after driving about a day with the new update...

- I like the new interface. I never kept the camera open on top, so that's not an issue for me. I like the 3 views for media player (and personally prefer the mini player view). I think the drawer at the bottom is easier to use than the old menu bar at the top. It's easier to reach, and I like being able to swipe up to the last app quickly. I also like having faster access to the cold weather features. Not perfect, but I definitely prefer it to the previous. Ideally, I'd like to see Tesla offer some customization options for the interface (maybe allow those who preferred the two panes to go back to that).
- Controls are organized much better now. Especially like that they're no longer broken into two tabs.
- Owner's manual doesn't work for me. I can go through the contents, but the actual pages don't show up. Maybe just a bug that will correct itself next time I get in the car? Maybe need to try a reset, which I didn't do since i was testing out the dash cam.
- Although I've only encountered the issue once or twice so far, it did MUCH better when driving up to people stopped at a red light on autopilot. It previously waited way too long to brake, and then had to stop quickly. It was still not perfect, but significantly better, to the point that I didn't have to take over.
- Nice that you can change lanes with autopilot on non-highway roads.
- Haven't had much issue with non-highway autopilot driving. Seems to work about the same as before, maybe slightly smoother. I had one incident today where it suddenly swerved into the other side of the road for some reason, which was very strange. There was a car on the right which was getting ready to turn onto the road and was pulled a little too far forward. Maybe my car was trying to take evasive action to avoid the other vehicle? However, while pulled too far forward, the other vehicle wasn't in the lane and wasn't moving. Other than that though, haven't noticed much of a change. I'm hoping that was a one-off outlier. Haven't driven on the highway yet to compare.
- Dash cam is definitely beta, and needs a lot of work. But, better than nothing, and it's free. It saves one minute files, which is strange. Quality is less than ideal - no where near what you'd get with a decent dedicated dash cam. Also not ideal that you need to take it out of the car to view. Again, very clearly beta software and hopefully will gain significant functionality in the future. But prior to this, I didn't have a dash cam at all, so I appreciate the inclusion.
- Having the ability to send address from the phone is nice, although I have always thought the search integrated into the Tesla nav worked very well anyway. Not sure how much I'll actually use this.

Overall, I like the update. A few bugs, and obviously some people don't like the changes to the UI, but I'm happy I updated and excited to see where some of the features go.

Reactions: Holo
I don't remember seeing any navigation maps updated message and my maps UI look same as always on IC screen. Center screen maps UI did change though (gray water etc.)
So I did manage to speak with customer support and basically my maps never got updated. I think he said I skipped some update/s when the new maps were released. They will push a new maps update now within 3 days and that will enable HOV lanes option.
I don't remember seeing any navigation maps updated message and my maps UI look same as always on IC screen. Center screen maps UI did change though (gray water etc.)
So I did manage to speak with customer support and basically my maps never got updated. I think he said I skipped some update/s when the new maps were released. They will push a new maps update now within 3 days and that will enable HOV lanes option.

Update: No maps update yet. In between one day all of a sudden I kept getting "cruise not available" and no AP stuff either. It was perfect a sunny day. I did try restarting MCU/IC screens few times but nothing. Called support and they were supposed to get back to me upon reviewing logs but no reply.
So like most things Tesla is it 3 .... maybe, 6 .... definitely?

I had a chance to try out the new features today. The back up camera in only the lower position is not my preference but really is not any harder to look at than on top. I don’t like the inability to set up the apps they way I want them. I don’t use maps except when using the Nav system, and that is about 10% of the time. My preferred combination is Waze and back up camera. I actually like the controls at the bottom of the screen, though.

As far as driving, I don’t see much of a difference in how AP behaves. The 360 view is nice but not a game changer. Will need more time on highways with AP to really see if there are any significant improvements.

Having the ability to send address from the phone is nice, although I have always thought the search integrated into the Tesla nav worked very well anyway. Not sure how much I'll actually use this.

A really useful application I’ve found for this is when someone texts or emails me an address to meet somewhere, I can just send that straight to the car from my phone and not need to punch it into Tesla nav again.

Last edited:
I cannot find my heated steering wheel and back heated seats! I have a 10yo complaining she’s cold after swim practice and I cannot find the controls anymore- it’s supposed to be in the climate screen but where? I feel like an erse but my creature comforts have disappeared...

I cannot find my heated steering wheel and back heated seats! I have a 10yo complaining she’s cold after swim practice and I cannot find the controls anymore- it’s supposed to be in the climate screen but where? I feel like an erse but my creature comforts have disappeared...
First press the fan button at the bottom of your screen to bring up a climate control window in the image below. Then press the icon with the three Skooly lines in the lower left and it will reveal the cold weather controls.
Pressing the fan button in the upper left to bring you back to the HVAC controls
9E379851-7C81-407D-B40B-653634E29B9E.jpeg