Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.39.x (Version 9)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just sent the bug report email below to Tesla. I thought I would share it. I'm sure I didn't cover all of the bugs but thought I hit on the major ones.

Dear Customer Service,
I’m not sure if this is the correct email to send bug reports; however, the voice method in the car does not seem to result in anything happening or any response from Tesla so it does not appear to be of much value. Additionally, it can be difficult to submit a bug report while driving. Having to compose your thoughts and provide a meaningful report doesn’t come naturally under those conditions unless comments like “bug report, holy crap I just got the *sugar* scared out of me and my wife say don’t use AP again” counts as a bug report.
I’m sure you are probably aware of most of these bugs but in case you aren’t here is my list:
1. Phantom braking continues to be an issue. I will say that it doesn’t appear as often and it wasn’t as jarring this last time but it is something that needs to be addressed before it causes an accident.
2. AP still gets confused on freeways when it encounters an exit (and here in CA the exit lanes do not have dashed lines as in some other states). If the exit is to the right and you are in the rightmost lane, it will attempt to exit, display confusion and may correct itself or may require manual intervention. It can be confusing to the drivers behind you. If there is a merge lane on the right coming onto the freeway, it confuses AP and ping ponging is a frequent result. If you are in the left lane and the exit is a Y junction, AP will try to take the exit and then become confused and straddle between the exit and the normal continuation path. I was really hoping that V9 would be map aware and recognize it location and the proper course of action absent a turn signal or with a turn signal (continue on main route or exit).
3. AP on turns to the right when traveling next to a solid barrier tends to go to the outside left rather than the inside right or even center of the lane and this requires manual intervention as there would not be sufficient time to correct when inches from a wall at 70+mph. HOV lanes here in southern CA are really bad about that. Similar issues exist on exits where the car doesn’t slow down quite enough for the sharpness of the turn.
4. The new DASHCAM feature need a way to safely eject the memory device to avoid corrupting files and the same is true when stopping and starting the vehicle. I pressed the icon to perform a Save and instead of saving the last 10 minutes it saved only the last minute.
5. The Homelink function to use geofencing to close the garage door on leaving is hit and miss. Most of the time it doesn’t work and I must manually perform the function. Now that the Homelink button is far right on the screen it is hard to reach to manually utilize. This is a function used almost everyday and should be more readily available and on the left side of the screen.
6. The web browser seems to hang every-time it losses a connection which is very frequent on LTE. It’s performance on LTE is slow and sluggish but actually usable on WiFi in my garage when not hung. The only way to unhang the browser is to reboot the screen. This is a pretty serious software bug.
7. The animated visualizations of surrounding objects (different types of vehicles, bicycles, motorcycles, etc.) lacks stability as objects jitter around, appear to go into your lane or run over you etc. even when stopped at a traffic light. Rather than use all of the computing needed to do this display, why not just stitch together the the camera feeds to create a birds-eye view showing the actual video images and boxes around objects being tracked. Some objects may appear distorted because of the different perspectives captured by each camera but the images should be much more stable and all the data a driver needs would be there to know the car was aware of each object and its location. One other difficulty with the animated views is they don’t provide an adequate perspective of distance to the objects. For example, one doesn’t see a car behind you unless it is very close and the car in front appears to be much further away than it actually is. The scaling perspective is just off.
8. The media player is frequently hung and needs to be restarted in some unintuitive ways to get it connected again and working. This bug (though not as pronounce) has been here for version 8.1 too.
9. AP Parking: Parking assist very rarely identifies parking opportunities even when driving slowly by spaces of either orientation. When it does display the P there is no conceivable parking space to be had. It will do this when in the middle lane stopped at a traffic light and you are surrounded by cars with no space that would fit a vehicle between them. However, you can drive by what is clearly an open space with cars at both ends and room for the car and it doesn’t see it as a parking space. As a result, I haven’t found this feature to be of much use. Further, it needs to identify parking spaces by the markings on the pavement or by the physical space available of adequate size and then let the human override its selection if for some reason it isn’t a suitable space to park in.
10. This is more of a feature request. Navigation needs two important features, 1) Waypoints so we can plan out a complete trip (like a abetterrouteplanner.com provides) and 2) give us alternate routes to chose from including a scenic route when available.
Thank you for looking into these bugs and hopefully providing a fix in a future update.

Already folks reporting that didn't stop the issue in the other thread
It did for me. I'm curious if their flash drives were truly converted. I had a hard time converting a drive on Windows. I had to use a command-line utility other than diskpart. OTOH, I had no problem using GParted in Linux.

Here's how to verify it's correct:
  1. Go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management, and select Disk Management
  2. On the left of the right lower pane,
    • right-click on Disk X (where "X" is the number associated with your flash drive) and select Properties.
    • Select the Volumes tab.
    • The Partition style: entry will show as either Master Boot Record (MBR) or GUID Partition Table (GPT).

With the exception of the phantom braking which appears to be random and is very hard to repeat (at least in my experience), the exit problem is very repeatable on the 91 freeway and the 55 freeway and I can specify the locations. I drive this frequently enough to see it happen over and over. However, the fix is not to have to go in and geo mark these areas because that would become an impossible task. The proper fix is to teach the car to ignore gaps in the lane markings at exits and to continue the same trajectory unless the driver has used the turn signal to indicate a desire to change direction. Exits, splits and merges should all be geotagged but better generic behavior it to drive the way a human does and ignore exits unless you want to exit. Absent Nav on AP, the proper assumption for AP is that the driver wishes to stay on the route they are on unless the driver signals an intention to change route.

Is anyone else having issues with their HVAC fan refusing to blow any air?
I have 2018.39.7 installed and I’ve had 2 instances where I get in the car and no matter what I do it won’t blow any air. Doing a reboot by holding the two scroll wheels doesn’t fix it.
Service center is telling me this is a known issue with my firmware that will be fixed in a future update. For now workaround is to stop the car, get out, lock it, wait for it to sleep, then get back in and it works again.
I’m a little hesitant about this analysis. If it was really a firmware issue wouldn’t I be hearing about other people with the v9 update experiencing this too?

I have 2018.39.7 installed and I’ve had 2 instances where I get in the car and no matter what I do it won’t blow any air. Doing a reboot by holding the two scroll wheels doesn’t fix it.
Service center is telling me this is a known issue with my firmware that will be fixed in a future update. For now workaround is to stop the car, get out, lock it, wait for it to sleep, then get back in and it works again.
I’m a little hesitant about this analysis. If it was really a firmware issue wouldn’t I be hearing about other people with the v9 update experiencing this too?

It blows air for me but I've noticed since the update there is a clicking a lot now with the vents which wasn't there before.

Same here, sometimes I have to at least turn on the iPhone before walking up to my car to unlock it. If it is asleep once in a rare while it won't respond. Most of the time it works though. When I was on the previous version it worked flawlessly for me at least on this respect. I also had some Bluetooth issue of my phone on a call with the car and showing on the bottom left corner of the display but could not hang up from that and it would inhibit me from being able to play music and hearing navigation guidance. If I turned off Bluetooth, the music will come back on but then I would not have a Bluetooth connection with the car. This problem only happened a few times intermittently.

I've had this happen twice with mine as well, although the first time it happened I wasn't on v9 yet. Have a service appointment tomorrow to get it looked at.

(dawning fireproof suit)...
While I was *super* anxious to get V9, I am disappointed with it and actually wish Tesla would have matured it further before release. Here are my specific reasons of what I was looking forward to and why I am disappointed:
  • Dashcam. I get often and repeated file corruption on the thumb drive which just causes it to stop working. When this happens you need access to a computer to fix it. I find myself wanting a dashcam but not having one because the drive had corrupted and I haven't reformatted it yet. Tesla needs to fix /troubleshoot the mount and dismount procedure with respect to the car powering down.
  • Browser. It worked well the first time I tried, but then I discovered that the browser process hangs and the browser will not render anything until the process is killed and restarted. This requires an MCU reboot. I don't want to reboot the MCU at the rate that it fails, so I don't use the browser until I have a legitimate reason to reboot the car. This means that the browser is essentially useless to me until they troubleshoot why it is locking up.
  • 360 surround view. I very much appreciate this and the blindspot warnings that are now present. I don't like the way the graphics are so jiggly. It shows cars darting around even hitting my car or diving into my lane when the car in question is NOT. I like that the surrounding vehicles are rendered like cars or trucks or bikes, but they change often and for the life of me do not know why sedans look like a Tesla key fob. The motion mapping and graphics really need some more polish. I have found lane changes and deceleration and acceleration are very smooth and thumbs up for that! But I also notice on roads that v8 performed well on, V9 has crazy issues where it just gets confused (like PCH. Hans are you listening?). V9 seems to be even more sensitive to lane marking imperfections while v8 would roll with it better. I also still have gotten phantom braking, but not necessarily the shadow style of before.
  • AC. I like the new animation as it is more intuitive to those unfamiliar. But I lost the red and blue colors that used to tell me if the heater was on. Since I can't turn the heater off, I do need to know if it's on! I don't like the way they moved the AC buttons on the far left and right of the display. Too much reaching. I do like that the temperature can be quickly slide left or right
  • Radio. I wonder if the radio will ever realize it's potential. 2 steps forward and 2 steps back. I like that changing modes is closer and easier, but that middle size config got bigger. I used to leave it in the middle size. I don't like the new favorite and recent combination. Maybe because I have too many favorites... I liked being able to not deal with the other, now I always have both and have to scroll A LOT. I am so not impressed with the new radio GUI that I wonder how any of the developers could possibly own a Tesla and not immediately recognize the deficiencies of the radio every day? Maybe they only listen to podcasts or Bluetooth? Also almost every time I get back into my car the radio is no longer playing where I left off (I always thought that was cool), rather it displays "loading error" and it's silent.
Thanks for reading this. I am just wanting both quicker development and higher quality that would only be possible if Tesla increased the software team size.

I will try it. My 8gb Verbatim drive keeps giving me the "x" on the Dashcam. I hope this can be done from a laptop.

I converted my 8gb Verbatim from MBR to GPT format using "EaseUS Partition Master 12.10", it was FREE :), and it worked. I placed my TeslaCam folder inside, and plugged it back into the M3 and the Dashcam had the red light and started recording :D. I will report back if my DashCam gets the "x" again.