Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software update 2018.4.5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally got notice late Friday night that 2018.4.5 was ready to download. Installed it last night.

We have a 2.0 so happy to finally get an update, but also happy to let the earlier bugs get worked out.

We went from 2017.50.3 on Jan 9 to 2018.4.5 on Feb 9.

Will let you know if I have any problems.

And may be why some cars get this update and some do not. Depends on how the car is set up. No point in pushing an update to cars that it will not effect. There may be some geographical testing as well, like for cold weather or rain.

Except Tesla still pushed updates to cars that won't see certain features presumably because there are other big fixed that are more general.

FWIW, I have cold weather and have no updates since 50.3 and it's snowed 18 inches and counting. I'd like these new features but Tesla's update system is not really dechipherable.

I'm a bit annoyed because I just picked up my late 2017 X at the SC Friday, and it only has 2018.2. Not sure why they didn't upgrade it, but I'll be calling them tomorrow.

This is perfectly normal. Not every car is selected to receive every update. This is how Tesla controls the risks of regressions as well as performs A/B testing within the fleet to validate their changes.

You can track the progression of updates from a crowdsourced fleet at: http://firmware.teslafi.com

As of now, for AP2.5 cars such as yours, 58% of cars are on 2017.50.3, 24% are on 2018.2, and less than 5% are on anything newer than 2018.2. If anything your car was delivered with newer firmware than what most of your peers are running.

And it may be most of haven't gotten it yet because there isn't a final version of 2018.4 out yet. There are four versions around (if you count the one for the 3, which you probably shouldn't.. :D ).

I can't recall (without looking at ev-fw) the last time there were three versions for one week's firmware...
upload_2018-2-11_14-39-56.png

They may really be fixing bugs or 'improving' it, who knows. Nothing new in the release notes that we've seen in the different versions.

I had this yesterday! First time ever (in the 1.5 months I've owned the car). I'm on 50.3, I think it is.. (see my sig). BT phone of course, incoming call. Streaming some channel..
Very annoying. Rebooting fixed it but it's pretty sad something so basic is still broken... but then there are lots of other basic things that have yet to be addressed like this.

Yep, same here. On 2017.50.3 and had the same issue where the turn by turn on BT would occasionally break the streaming also. Hitting another channel, like radio, and then back to streaming would definitely clear it.

Some weirdness where the temporary switching sources doesn’t reset and you need to do the clear by a complete manual source switch. Never had the switch away and back not work!

This is perfectly normal. Not every car is selected to receive every update. This is how Tesla controls the risks of regressions as well as performs A/B testing within the fleet to validate their changes.

You can track the progression of updates from a crowdsourced fleet at: http://firmware.teslafi.com

As of now, for AP2.5 cars such as yours, 58% of cars are on 2017.50.3, 24% are on 2018.2, and less than 5% are on anything newer than 2018.2. If anything your car was delivered with newer firmware than what most of your peers are running.
Thanks for the reply and the additional information. I did call the SC and they said that the latest version they have there is the one that they provided to me, 2018.2, and told me to wait for it to be pushed out. I just find it odd that Tesla would release an App update that requires 2018.4 when it hasn't been pushed out broadly.

Thanks for the reply and the additional information. I did call the SC and they said that the latest version they have there is the one that they provided to me, 2018.2, and told me to wait for it to be pushed out. I just find it odd that Tesla would release an App update that requires 2018.4 when it hasn't been pushed out broadly.

Yeah, it's odd but it happened before with the 2017.5x battery preconditioning update too. My only guess is that the amount of time it takes for their app to go through final QA / release is different than with their car firmware.

Note that making service appointments and showing up to them (you must have an appt and get a work order opened against your car) will often push the latest firmware to your car, more so than waiting at home. However, obviously, if you annoy your service center too much they'll start being dismissive towards your requests.

I'd recommend being patient with these minor releases. One day, there will be a super exciting release with more substantial functionality — that would be the time to try convincing your SC to let you board the train early :D

I believe the prior App Update did the same thing which seemed odd to me as well. But I would prefer they continue to update the App with features that only work with the latest firmware (if required) then to hold off until everyone got the new firmware.

I just find it odd that Tesla would release an App update that requires 2018.4 when it hasn't been pushed out broadly.

To be fair the app still works for people with earlier firmware versions (it’s not like the new version of the app broke functionality for everyone other than those on 2018.4). The new version of the app was released now to make sure that any of those people lucky enough to be on the early adopter train for this release have access to the new features in 2018.4.

I’m with @H.Aulakoski and @vraev. Mine failed again too. I also drive an AP 2.5 Model S.

I wonder if the people that have the update failing have a thumb drive in the usb ports while updating. I have seen somewhere that it could be a problem. I pull it out before updating.

I have nothing plugged in my USB ports (I occasionally have an iPhone lightning charger plugged in, but it was out of the car for both update attempts that failed.

Reactions: vraev