Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.42.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would say the NoA feature on 2018.42.2 is much better than any previous version. Drove 200 miles so far on NoA.

+ It doesn't ping pong between lanes when changing the lane. Go or not go - not cancel in the middle of the move.
+ The previous version asked me to commit suicide by asking me turn into the divider. This one did not.
+ Mad Max is more aggressive. As long as it shows the adjacent lane is clear, it will move.

The on/off ramp is still working great. Otherwise, NoA needs more attention than the normal AP.

Well, IMHO, this is exactly how NOT to drive and do a lane change safely. The blind spot warning should be a tool to warn you when doing a mistake, not to be another item to check on every lane change. It is not helping at all. A simple audible warning or at least a big portion of the dash flashing red on the occupied side would be the proper thing.

I guess we disagree. Personally, it has not been an issue for me. I try to maintain good situational awareness so I am rarely surprised by a car in my blind spot and the screen alerts me visually in those instances when there is. Also, I can see the red lane line and the little cars in my blind spot area on the screen in my peripheral vision just fine.

An auditory alert would be fine too of course but it would need to override the audio otherwise I would not hear over my music that I play while I drive.

NoA observations:

Warning...…..Warning...….Warning
Your Tesla will not drive and recommend the way you would drive.

I needed to get that out. I think folks expect the vehicle will respond similar to their personal decisions. Rather, the vehicle will make recommendations based on all sensor, location, map and traffic data. If you are a back seat driver or control freak, this feature may never be for you even when FSD is reached.

Preface:
  • Spacing set at 1 - I believe the vehicle uses this data input to make lane changes
  • Set to Mad Max customization
  • I accepted all lane change recommendations immediately with noted exceptions below
  • I am located in Houston driving to and from Conroe and The Woodlands
  • The highway has 4 lanes. I will number them from inward to outward 1 through 4 respectively. 4 being the fast lane.
  • Traffic was heavy in all four lanes. Typical for Houston area.
Highlight:
I utilized NoA exclusively during my drive accepting all recommendations. It got me on the limited access highway. Changed lanes to maximize efficiency based on my speed setting. Got me off the limited access highway. All without any intervention. It operated 100% without disengagement. I stayed vigilant at all times ensuring others and my safety. :)

One immediate improved experience was the blinker started and stopped with one stalk pull of acknowledgement. My observation was it was really conservative with the recommendations; i.e., slow to change lanes instead of overtake, moved to lane 1 two miles prior to exit, will not overtake slower traffic two miles from exit (maintains lane 1).

Detailed observations:
While entering the highway, I engaged NoA and AP while on the onramp. My X recommended merging into highway traffic. I acknowledged with a single pull on the stalk. My X engaged my left blinker and merged without any issues. The blinker then turned off after merge. I observed this behavior with all lane change recommendations.

While cruising, my X encountered slow lane traffic. My X made several left and right lane change recommendations to maximize or obtain my designated speed setting, 75mph. I acknowledged all recommendations followed by the actual change. I noticed and was vigilant to observe that it would not make a recommendation unless the lane adjacent was clear. Note: If I missed the recommendation and the lane became congested or not clear, it retained the recommendation. But, it did not initiate unless it was clear. To me this is important because if it was automated, it would have initiated immediately when clear. There were several times I purposely missed the recommendation to see what happens.

4 miles from exit, lanes 1 and 2 started pulsing. I was in lane 4. Lanes 1 and 2 showed a grey route line that pulsated once every second. At the same time. I received a message at the top of the navigation window that stated something like, Preparing for a lane change. I can't remember the exact wording. The prompt was highlighted with a blue box. The lane pulses and box warning engaged at the same time. My X made recommendations and changed to lane 2. The box warning and pulsing lanes went away.

2 miles from exit. I received the box notification again. My X recommended lane change to lane 1. I ignored the change. My X audibly initiated a tone with a warning at the bottom of the IC to change lanes for exit. Can't remember the exact wording. But, there was a steering wheel icon with it similar to the attention warning. I then acknowledged the lane change. Box warning went away when I was in lane 1. I personally would not have got in lane 1 two miles away. While in exit highway mode, it did not recommend changing lanes for speed efficiency.

When I reached the exit, my X recommended merging into the off ramp lane. I acknowledged the lane change. My X reached the end of the NoA. I was a bit confused on how to end it. It seemed to be comling to a stop. I had to take over even though TACC was still engaged. Can someone confirm. I tried it a few times and did not see how you can smoothly transition from NoA to TACC.

Last edited:
NoA observations:

Warning...…..Warning...….Warning
Your Tesla will not drive and recommend the way you would drive.

I needed to get that out. I think folks expect the vehicle will respond similar to their personal decisions. Rather, the vehicle will make recommendations based on all sensor, location, map and traffic data.

Preface:
  • Spacing set at 1 - I believe the vehicle uses this data input to make lane changes
  • Set to Mad Max customization
  • I accepted all lane change recommendations immediately with noted exceptions below
  • I am located in Houston driving to and from Conroe and The Woodlands
  • The highway has 4 lanes. I will number them from inward to outward 1 through 4 respectively. 4 being the fast lane.
  • Traffic was heavy in all four lanes. Typical for Houston area.
Highlight:
I utilized NoA exclusively during my drive accepting all recommendations. It got me on the limited access highway. Changed lanes to maximize efficiency based on my speed setting. Got me off the limited access highway. All without any intervention. It operated 100% without disengagement. I stayed vigilant at all times ensuring others and my safety. :)

One immediate improved experience was the blinker started and stopped with one stalk pull of acknowledgement. My observation was it was really conservative with the recommendations; i.e., slow to change lanes instead of overtake, moved to lane 1 two miles prior to exit, will not overtake slower traffic two miles from exit (maintains lane 1).

Detailed observations:
While entering the highway, I engaged NoA and AP while on the onramp. My X recommended merging into highway traffic. I acknowledged with a single pull on the stalk. My X engaged my left blinker and merged without any issues. The blinker then turned off after merge. I observed this behavior with all lane change recommendations.

While cruising, my X encountered slow lane traffic. My X made several left and right lane change recommendations to maximize or obtain my designated speed setting, 75mph. I acknowledged all recommendations followed by the actual change. I noticed and was vigilant to observe that it would not make a recommendation unless the lane adjacent was clear. Note: If I missed the recommendation and the lane became congested or not clear, it retained the recommendation. But, it did not initiate unless it was clear. To me this is important because if it was automated, it would have initiated immediately when clear. There were several times I purposely missed the recommendation to see what happens.

4 miles from exit, lanes 1 and 2 started pulsing. I was in lane 4. Lanes 1 and 2 showed a grey route line that pulsated once every second. At the same time. I received a message at the top of the navigation window that stated something like, Preparing for a lane change. I can't remember the exact wording. The prompt was highlighted with a blue box. The lane pulses and box warning engaged at the same time. My X made recommendations and changed to lane 2. The box warning and pulsing lanes went away.

2 miles from exit. I received the box notification again. My X recommended lane change to lane 1. I ignored the change. My X audibly initiated a tone with a warning at the bottom of the IC to change lanes for exit. Can't remember the exact wording. But, there was a steering wheel icon with it similar to the attention warning. I then acknowledged the lane change. Box warning went away when I was in lane 1. I personally would not have got in lane 1 two miles away. While in exit highway mode, it did not recommend changing lanes for speed efficiency.

When I reached the exit, my X recommended merging into the off ramp lane. I acknowledged the lane change. My X reached the end of the NoA. I was a bit confused on how to end it. It seemed to be comling to a stop. I had to take over even though TACC was still engaged. Can someone confirm. I tried it a few times and did not see how you can smoothly transition from NoA to TACC.

My limited experience, at the off ramp NOA self discontinued with the audible tri bell sound then transitioned back to regular autopilot, not TACC. I had cars slowing down in front so it slowed down but navigated the curve with auto steer, based on other videos it should now slow to a stop at the stop sign or traffic light even without a lead car. Either way will be extra vigilant.

Guys, how is the blind spot warning supposed to work?

When driving manually, you signal the lane change and you check you side and mirror. If there is a car in the blind spot, the car will just show a red line. No audible warning? It's increasing the workload not actually helping. The classic solution with the red light inside the side mirror is definitely much better, what Tesla did ist just useles. Do they really expect, that after turn signal, the driver has to check the dash for the red line, then the side and the side mirror? Wtf?

On the other hand when driving on AP it works great.

Before this car here's how I changed lanes: Check the rear-view mirror; check the side mirror. If it looks clear, I look back and to the side. If still clear, I signal, pause, and make the lane change. With this car I do exactly the same, except that now the first thing I do is glance at the screen. If it shows a car, I stay in my lane and no other checks are needed. The car has limited my distraction by telling me, "Forget it, no lane-change now."

Just got 42.2. The Release Notes pane is completely empty and greyed out. I can open and close the pane, but there are no notes. Anybody else have this happen? Haven't driven yet. Just saw the alert on my phone when I got up this morning, so went right out and told it to update now, and then later went out and the update was complete, but no release notes.
That's happened to me at least twice with 8.1 updates, so it's not a new-to-v9 problem.

I also have a problem after the update, similar but not exactly the same. Installed 42.2 last night in my Model X with hardware 2.5 and EAP. No option for NoA in settings and NoA was not in the release notes. But release notes were there for the updated floating camera view w/media. I emailed support last night but haven't heard back yet.
This is also being discussed in the Model X forum: USA S/W 42.2 19e7e44 but no NoA

Reactions: BlueRidgeksky
NoA observations:

When merging into exit, I got a count down message like ' autopilot navigation ending in 400, 300 200 feet " and then it switched back
to autopilot.

The transition from NoA to regular AP was very well done and had some kind of accompanying chime (with the IC morphing fluidly). Also the Nav shows an AP wheel icon next to the road segments it will be handling.

My return commute really got me thinking this current iteration would be awesome on long stretches of road trips if they just got rid of the darn nag.