Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.42.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was pushed .42 last evening and Navigate on Autopilot seems to be missing from the release notes and autopilot setting screens. Any ideas? Is there a chance that I have old maps which is prohibiting this from being present?

Reactions: eager0
How to get the most recent firmware:
1. Use AP a lot.
2. Keep torsion on the steering wheel constantly (when using AP).
3. Avoid getting the red hands like the plague.
4. When you get the red hands (because AP is befuddled), take steering control instantly.
Explanation: Tesla wants to first release firmware to those who use AP a lot, who seem to be holding the steering wheel the most, and who appear to be alert. We’ll, that’s theory 57.

I follow this & get updates fairly regular (I'm on 42.2 currently)
I noticed 1 other possibility.
I normally charge at my Business during the day & don't plug in or lower my Charge level at Home if I do plug in (My Company Car aka good to be the King)
But everytime I get an update it comes at night & when I was charging at home for a decent amount of time... maybe coincidence bit my last 2 updates happened in this exact situation.

Tried the NoA in "mad max" lane change mode on this morning's commute. What speed drop are others seeing in this mode before a lane change "suggestion" pops up? Mine dropped about 6mph before initiating. Hardly what I'd describe as demonic robot juggernaut driving behavior. Other than that, it was a pretty bland drive in. I had to disengage for part of the drive because the Tesla nav plotted a different way in to work than I normally take. Tomorrow morning, I'll upload the google maps version from my phone first and test it door to door.

Texas roads have a strange feature at some interchanges between highways. You have to get off the highway onto a frontage road, then enter the second highway some distance down the road. The NoA correctly plotted the exit and the rest of the course, but turned off once I exited on to the frontage road and stayed off even after I had entered the second highway.

p.s. When leaving the garage this morning, my neighbor's garbage can displayed as an SUV on my screen. o_O

Mad Max mode is not for lane changes it is for passing slower cars. The tree settings are just tolerances for how much more aggressive it will want to get around a slower car. It will not do anything to how the car changes lanes. It still acts like a grayhair waiting for an engraved invitation to change lanes. In stop and go traffic or lanes with slow traffic but with speeds varying 5-10 mph per lane I have to turn off NoA as it literally came to a stop waiting for an opportunity twice and a 3rd attempt it was about to change lanes and a driver tired of how NoA was acting went around me and caused the automatic lane change to brake hard steer back into the lane and literally freaked everyone around me out. Not ready for prime time yet.

I do wish they had Early Access Program participants (I would really like to be in that program as it seems like many things are overlooked) that used EAP 100+ miles a day and could give meaningful feedback.

Here's my commute with NoA day 2 report; for my first report: Software Update 2018.42.x

So now I have two morning and one evening commute under by belt. The first morning was a disaster as described above. The evening and second morning were both in much lighter traffic and were less terrifying but still mostly useless. It is 0 for 3 on taking any action whatsoever to merge from an entrance ramp onto the highway. The first time I took over for safety but the other two times (on two different entrance ramps) it never put on the bllinker or indicated any intention to change out of the rapidly disappearing acceleration lane and into the highway. I let it go all the way to the end, where when the lane marker in between disappeared it just suddenly at some point saw both lanes as one lane and centered itself in the new super wide lane. No blinker ever. It would have been super dangerous if any cars had been around.

It does better on exit ramps insofar as it does signal its intention to change into the exit lane. But it signals way too late (already more than halfway into the deceleration lane) and then has very little time to get into the exit. If there were cars behind me it would have been dangerous to wait that long before signalling and then almost immediately zooming into the exit (awkwardly) while simultaneously decelerating; the person behind you would be surprised and may have given up on you and gotten into the exit, and perhaps (if the exit is clear and the highway lanes are moving slowly) started accelerating to pass while in the exit lane.

Just got 42.2. The Release Notes pane is completely empty and greyed out. I can open and close the pane, but there are no notes. Anybody else have this happen? Haven't driven yet. Just saw the alert on my phone when I got up this morning, so went right out and told it to update now, and then later went out and the update was complete, but no release notes.

Just got 42.2. The Release Notes pane is completely empty and greyed out. I can open and close the pane, but there are no notes. Anybody else have this happen? Haven't driven yet. Just saw the alert on my phone when I got up this morning, so went right out and told it to update now, and then later went out and the update was complete, but no release notes.

I also have a problem after the update, similar but not exactly the same. Installed 42.2 last night in my Model X with hardware 2.5 and EAP. No option for NoA in settings and NoA was not in the release notes. But release notes were there for the updated floating camera view w/media. I emailed support last night but haven't heard back yet.

I also have a problem after the update, similar but not exactly the same. Installed 42.2 last night in my Model X with hardware 2.5 and EAP. No option for NoA in settings and NoA was not in the release notes. But release notes were there for the updated floating camera view w/media. I emailed support last night but haven't heard back yet.

Are you in the US? Do you have the HOV lane option in the Nav settings? (Have you been on WiFi enough that you could have gotten the required map update?)

Reactions: 1375mlm
5E3C8DD4-7F97-41D9-AD4D-CD573C59048B.jpeg
Mad Max mode is not for lane changes it is for passing slower cars. The tree settings are just tolerances for how much more aggressive it will want to get around a slower car. It will not do anything to how the car changes lanes.

Is that reply sent in my direction since you used my quote or for those who haven’t actually used it? I can read the onscreen instructions without the Reader’s Digest version, thanks.

It certainly is for lane changing while using NoA. If you’re going to quote me the least you could do is answer my question that you ignored. o_O

We have old tollbooths that are retrofitted to be transponder-only lanes around here. The speed limit is 15 going through them, but not for NoA! I’m pretty sure it would have careened through them at 50. So that’s something to note.

My commute this morning was super slow. I didn’t break 7 MPH for a couple miles. It wanted me to do lane changes that it really didn’t need to. Basically it shouldn’t even try under 5 MPH. Like other reports, the behavior is so odd that it’s antisocial o_O

The warning in construction zones says “construction zone detected. Navigation on autopilot is limited”

And my media player keeps its mini player state between power ups. At least for me :D I wonder if the others are doing that phantom reboot thing

I do have the HOV option. Good question on the map update. Will it install 42.2 without the updates maps installed? I had 39.7 before this.
I mirror your situation: Model X w/ hardware 2.5 and EAP. Just updated to 42.2 from 39.7 and have the HOV option for my map. In the 42.2 release notes, the only addition is the change to the media player and floating camera/energy graphs. Nothing for NoA under Autopilot settings. Not sure why we are getting left out! :( Please provide an update with what tech support responds with.

I mirror your situation: Model X w/ hardware 2.5 and EAP. Just updated to 42.2 from 39.7 and have the HOV option for my map. In the 42.2 release notes, the only addition is the change to the media player and floating camera/energy graphs. Nothing for NoA under Autopilot settings. Not sure why we are getting left out! :( Please provide an update with what tech support responds with.
Exact same setup and circumstances. Setup an wireless AP just now right next to it with 150 MB connection to see if it pulls a new map update down.

Reactions: BlueRidgeksky
I've had 42.2 for a couple of days but just drove my wife in to work on a proper (~2hr round trip) rush hour commute for some testing. On the way in, traffic was stop-and-go for most of the drive. Navigate on Autopilot does not handle this terribly well. It suggested lane changes several times and immediately changed its mind before I could pull the stalk, and as others have noted came to an almost complete stop more than once trying to change lanes when there had been several opportunities I could have easily taken myself before that. It was far more stressful than just regular Autopilot, which I find to be absolutely awesome in heavy traffic if I'm not worrying about which lane it's trying to be in.

The drive back was more moderate traffic, and here it performed on the opposite end of the spectrum. It even suggested a lane change more than once because the car in front would have caused me to slow down and completed the change before it had to slow at all. This was really impressive, and it happened more than once. I had the passing set to Mad Max the whole time FWIW.

In both cases, both on-ramp merging and off-ramp taking worked flawlessly, though I agree with others that it could use a little speed bump to how fast it goes on the off-ramp part. Having the car nudge me to the right a lane at a time with confirmation and then signal and take the exit properly without any confirmation at all was seriously cool.

I think the killer use case for NoA is going to be long road trips, especially through cities/interchanges you don't know well and don't instinctively know what lane to be in. Especially once lane changes don't require a confirmation, I could see this being very, very useful.

I think the killer use case for NoA is going to be long road trips, especially through cities/interchanges you don't know well and don't instinctively know what lane to be in. Especially once lane changes don't require a confirmation, I could see this being very, very useful.

I definitely think this is what Nav on AP was really designed for. I look forward to testing it the next time I take my 340 mi (one way) trip to Ohio that is all interstate with several interchanges. I know the route well but there are still times when I stress a little making sure I am in the right lane because there are instances where some lanes split off to become another interstate or I need to take an exit that merges onto a different interstate so I have to really pay attention to what lane to be in to stay on the right route. Nav on AP should make this type of trip more relaxing.

My .02. As others noted, in heavy traffic, NoA was not great. It never even suggested lane changes as faster lanes whizzed by me. Usually I don't hop around lanes as it normally does not net much gain (if any) over a long stretch of road. However, in this case, the backup was human created and the far 2 left lanes were proceeding at a good 20mph faster (2-7mph vs. 30mph). NoA couldn't figure out it was driving a Tesla which is a shame. I had to take over and use the Tesla Powers I was granted to enter the Traffic Jet Stream.

In normal traffic, however, NoA was awesome. It suggested two speed overtake lane changes and they worked great. I prefer confirming using a single pull of the AP stalk. I love seeing the turn signal pop up in the IC. If it think its ok, it moves over pretty quickly. I like that it doesn't hesitate once you give it the OK. I am getting the feeling I wouldn't mind engaging ULC in this situation. I am not comfortable in traffic based on what others reported. For me it suggested nothing, so clearly it knew it was out of its league in figuring out how to move to a faster lane while stopped (even though there was about 4-5 car lengths in front to use to get to speed and then merge in a gap). If I can use the back up camera to spot a gap, the system should be able to do so with its repeater cam.

I found entrance ramps to be like @rnortman described -- it just never merged. One ramp I let it just move over as the merge lane expired. My initial ramp I overrode it because it was being dumb. Exit ramps were a thing of wonder. It really nailed it. It did wait a bit long to actually move into the new lane. Hopefully that can be tweaked as some aggressive drivers might try to pass you into the exit lane on your right as the car signals.

Overall, glad to see it debut, it clearly is a great first step.

My .02. As others noted, in heavy traffic, NoA was not great. It never even suggested lane changes as faster lanes whizzed by me. Usually I don't hop around lanes as it normally does not net much gain (if any) over a long stretch of road. However, in this case, the backup was human created and the far 2 left lanes were proceeding at a good 20mph faster (2-7mph vs. 30mph). NoA couldn't figure out it was driving a Tesla which is a shame. I had to take over and use the Tesla Powers I was granted to enter the Traffic Jet Stream.

I would bet that it has a maximum speed differential for auto lane changes. It knows it can't detect fast-approaching vehicles in the destination lane far enough back to do this safely. To beat that well-beaten dead horse, if it had corner radar it could probably do it.

Reactions: ironwaffle