Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.42.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This.

Tesla is playing a dangerous game by selling a durable good and then changing it after the sale without giving the purchaser any option to not accept the change. If you were to buy a refrigerator with french doors and then have it changed to a side-by-side layout by the manufacturer later, with no choice in the matter, would you be OK with that? Durable goods are expected, and I would venture to guess though IANAL, probably required by law at least in some places, to not involuntarily take away features that were present at the time of sale, at least not without very good reason (e.g., safety or court order).

Let's all hope that we don't wake up tomorrow in a house whose floor plan was changed by the builder overnight during an update without warning.

Android Phones, Apple... they all change via OTA Updates. This is the new Norm, most like it. Some people listen to 80s Music, I can't listen to the Same Songs 1000s of times over. I like the Software Updates. Its like getting a new Toy to play with. In order to grow EAP & FSD you'd have to accept. But if there was a way to decline upgrades you'd most likely have to be OK without the other improvements...

Is that a typo, an exaggeration, or a real price you paid? I am confused. I got the X100 with most of the options, tax, license, registration, etc. and it was at least $25,000 less. What costs 150k?

Not disputing your point, just the sticker shock that got my attention.

Mt P100D was a hair under $150K
Screenshot_20181026-003245_OneDrive.jpg

Android Phones, Apple... they all change via OTA Updates
It's interesting as I am refusing the latest IOS update as well. Bad design is bad design no matter where it comes from. Sure, 99% of the time I like being on the bleeding edge. But occasionally not. Maybe I'll have to cave and accept some day, but not today and not without trying to tell them why. Maybe along the way these companies will figure it out.

Wait, I can't put calendar in full screen and then have the bottom left for browser and the bottom right for backup cam??? Completely unacceptable! I paid a lot for this car! That's it, I'm selling the car, dumping my stock and going back to rolling coal.

Edit: Oh, and lawsuit. Don't forget class action lawsuit. Who's with me?

I had to reread this to uncover the sarcasm. :) Between the truthiness, fake news and spoiled brats it is getting hard to see the difference.

What you guys keep forgetting is that AP1 cars do not have the higher precision GPS that the AP2 cars received, in order to definitively know which lane you are in. Also, AP1 cars do not have the wide angle camera to be able to identify precisely which lane you are in. Nor do we have the rear facing cameras to cross reference with to determine exactly which lane we are in. In summary, AP1 doesn't know which lane you are in. So, it would be just as it is now; where it displays on the IC which lane it suggests for you to be in, because it doesn't know if you are already in that lane or not.

I want to dream big too, but I don't want my dreams so big, as to always be disappointed due to reality.

No, I am not forgetting that at all. Let's start with GPS...everyone talks about GPS like it's synonymous with navigation. It's not. GPS is simply one input into a blended position solution. The inertial navigation unit is generally weighted much more heavily moment-to-moment when tracking position. Remember, the car keeps track of its position and direction while in tunnels and in garages; it's not doing that with GPS. GPS is simply providing occasional corrections to deal with inertial drift.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but both the AP1 and AP2 gps units have WAAS augmentation, so I find it hard to believe there is much of a difference between the two units. Certainly not big enough to allow one to establish a fix within a given lane and another that won't. Remember the early high-fidelity mapping images created from feedback from AP1 cars (there were no AP2 cars at the time). It showed mapping down to the lane.

Also, early versions of 8.1 (never released to the public; just to EAP users) DID have automatic exit functionality. To do that, it needed to know what lane it was in.

If you would have read my post, I referred specifically to the foward facing camera. Of course AP1 will not be able to do completely autonomous lane changes because it can't detect fast-approaching cars in adjacent lanes from the rear. But there is no reason it can't suggest lane changes. (Of course, the usefulness of this feature is somewhat questionable, but it still could be done).

So, yes, this should be technically possible. The question is will Tesla invest the resources to implement these features? I remain skeptical.

• Funny
Reactions: ABC2D
It's interesting as I am refusing the latest IOS update as well. Bad design is bad design no matter where it comes from. Sure, 99% of the time I like being on the bleeding edge. But occasionally not. Maybe I'll have to cave and accept some day, but not today and not without trying to tell them why. Maybe along the way these companies will figure it out.

For security reasons its usually best to stay up to date.
But B!itching on forums such as this is one of the ways the developers will hear our voice. If you don't let them know then they'll never know...

I personally like the new UI on my Model S. It works good for how I utilize the car.
But I think as much as possible developers should give users Options when possible.

Reactions: KArnold
How about these:

1es4fa.jpg

3322xc9.jpg

34gq4as.jpg

Great to see any return of the split-screen. Kudos to Tesla for fixing this mistake. Not yet as capable as previous versions, but still a significant improvement over the first V9.

My personal scenario is media on top and camera on bottom usually, so I guess I'll have to wait a while still for that. Hopefully more options will be available later.

Points to Tesla also for the success with the Model 3. This kind of progress is better stuff than some of the crazyness. :) Keep it up!

No, I am not forgetting that at all. Let's start with GPS...everyone talks about GPS like it's synonymous with navigation. It's not. GPS is simply one input into a blended position solution. The inertial navigation unit is generally weighted much more heavily moment-to-moment when tracking position. Remember, the car keeps track of its position and direction while in tunnels and in garages; it's not doing that with GPS. GPS is simply providing occasional corrections to deal with inertial drift.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but both the AP1 and AP2 gps units have WAAS augmentation, so I find it hard to believe there is much of a difference between the two units. Certainly not big enough to allow one to establish a fix within a given lane and another that won't. Remember the early high-fidelity mapping images created from feedback from AP1 cars (there were no AP2 cars at the time). It showed mapping down to the lane.

Also, early versions of 8.1 (never released to the public; just to EAP users) DID have automatic exit functionality. To do that, it needed to know what lane it was in.

If you would have read my post, I referred specifically to the foward facing camera. Of course AP1 will not be able to do completely autonomous lane changes because it can't detect fast-approaching cars in adjacent lanes from the rear. But there is no reason it can't suggest lane changes. (Of course, the usefulness of this feature is somewhat questionable, but it still could be done).

So, yes, this should be technically possible. The question is will Tesla invest the resources to implement these features? I remain skeptical.
  1. Exactly what I said (if you read it): GPS is one of the inputs used to determine lane position. There are many others, of which AP2 has, which AP1 does not.
  2. Inertia-assisted positioning can drift quite quickly. This is one reason why GPS Nav units still lose their position in a very long tunnel. Also why they start to glitch heavily after driving in circles up/down large garages.
  3. WAAS is just a supplemental system; not a measurement of accuracy. The WAAS specification only calls for it to be as accurate as 7.6m. The GPS design and antenna design determine it's accuracy. Tesla stated that AP2.x received a higher level of accuracy GPS unit. High quality design GPS units have been measured to an accuracy of 0.9m. Accurate enough to determine lane position.
  4. The only exit ramp feature I ever saw on V8.1 was to slow the vehicle when within a certain distance of the exit, if the turn signal was turned on. Nothing about actually automatically exiting the freeway for you.
  5. And I too referenced the forward facing cameras... AP2 has a wide angle camera that it can use to assist in determining the lane you are in. AP1 only has a much narrower main camera (50 degrees?) which would not give you the visual data needed to determine lane placement on a large freeway. And I didn't mention anything about auto lane changes or approaching cars. I simply stated that the system could also utilize the other cameras (including rear cameras) to assist in validating lane placement.
  6. We already get lane suggestions on the IC when navigating. If AP can't fully determine the lane we're in, then it wouldn't be any different than what we have now. --shrug--
Again, I would love to have more useful features with AP1. I just don't see this one as being technically feasible.

Last edited:
For security reasons its usually best to stay up to date.
But B!itching on forums such as this is one of the ways the developers will hear our voice. If you don't let them know then they'll never know...

Then again, one could write or call Tesla. Not near as much fun as seeing your name in print and having others argue with you, though.

Reactions: Kruegmeister