Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.42.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK now that I can talk about it as it is in general release; Nav on Autopilot is honestly just an annoyance in the way it's currently implemented. Acknowledging the lane changes is distracting and you are constantly looking to see if the car wants to change lanes and taking your eyes off the road. This should either be completely automated of off, it is terrible with acknowledgement. Interestingly the auto-exit works pretty well and no acknowledgement needed as well as entry in to HOV lanes if you have that set.

In the end the feature is not good IMHO, at least how it is set up currently.

I'm a little confused by this because we know the feature as is isn't how it's supposed to be.

It's only a temporary thing until they've validated it enough to flip the switch to enable the ability to change lanes without user confirmation.

Now it would really suck if it always had to be validated. I would completely agree with you if that was the case.

Reactions: spectrum
My car pulled 7.5GB, then it stopped. Do you think it’s a maps update?

For context: I’m in Switzerland, running 34.1 and already have the new nav and maps.
Yes, mine pulled the maps about a week or so ago so it’s getting prepped for new v9 update. I had new maps when the navigation change a while back but the newer maps should be for new features. I never received any notification for new maps only the new software update today.

• Informative
Reactions: digistyl3
Yes seems to, but was not always and the ding notification is similar to the warning to move the wheel while on AP so you end up looking down and trying to figure out why it is notifying you. Just adds stress to AP actually.

This is not really what I mean though. As you use it you will be checking to see if it wants to change lanes when you think it should a lot. This means looking down a lot.

YMMV, check it out when you get it.
I'm just looking for lane split and Auto exit in this. Seems that lane changes can be ignored and the most useful part is the mad Max seeing when one wants to change a lane. Just speculating while I wait for the update.

0C45E75A-888F-441C-945F-F266F3809235.jpeg
I think I win oldest firmware without an update 2018.24...

And yes connected to WiFi.

42.2 isn’t Early Access. 81 copies on TeslaFi as of now.

If you mean you have 42.2 and it says beta in the menu, that’s really weird.

I thought Early Access versions were always different numbers that prod releases. Can anyone confirm the current numbering? (I’ve never had such a release but I though they were ‘odd point point’ numbers back when....)

If true, I doubt he can post an answer...

I'm just looking for lane split and Auto exit in this. Seems that lane changes can be ignored and the most useful part is the mad Max seeing when one wants to change a lane. Just speculating while I wait for the update.

Just saw a vid from a Model 3 owner where exits needed to be acknowledged as well as lane changes. Interested to see what others experience when more get the update.

• Helpful
Reactions: SlicedBr3ad
You can't expect a little kid to ride a bike he got for Christmas without training wheels for at least a little while. They stated after ~10 million fleet miles it would be optional to have a lane change confirmation.

This particular bike (with training wheels) was gifted to Tesla two Chrismases ago, by their customers. It took around 6 months for the kid even to ever get on the bike, and the training wheels still haven't come off. This kid just isn't really much of a biker I think.

Same here, no update since week 32.

P.S. I do have the same car spec as you do. Model S 100D, May 2017, AP2.0 MCU1, EAP, - Ocean Blue, Slipstream 19", all glass roof... Coincidence?
Coincidence that we are stuck with an old release? maybe.
Coincidence that we have the same exact specs cars? NOT AT ALL! That's just the best possible set-up for a Tesla! ;)

If possible, both of you guys should go to a Service Center and connect to the Guest Wifi with your vehicle for a while. Their Wifi has caches of the latest software versions and force pushes the most current software to all vehicles connected. I did this last month while charging.

If this fails you can always contact Tesla in your account and ask an engineer to push an update to your VIN.

P.S. Remember that the cars will only download updates through Wifi network connectivity as of several months ago.

Unfortunately for me the closest service center is more than 100Km away, across the Alps. At home I can't connect to WiFi, because my parking space is in a communal underground garage.
I spoke with Tesla 3 weeks ago, one of the ranger promised to call me back "in one week" to fix a meeting, and since then I haven't heard back from them.
They refuse to push update through cell system, I can not connect to WiFi, rangers are not supporting.
Sigh! o_O
At least being stuck on V8 I can not complain about the new UI in V9....

Yeah it isn't aggressive at all, so if it thinks there isn't enough space it won't get over.

You can push the throttle yourself in these cases and my experience has been that the car will then move over ahead of the traffic you overtake.

I'm a little confused by this because we know the feature as is isn't how it's supposed to be.

It's only a temporary thing until they've validated it enough to flip the switch to enable the ability to change lanes without user confirmation.

Now it would really suck if it always had to be validated. I would completely agree with you if that was the case.

I am commenting on how it is being deployed and how it is not really useful. They had it in Early Adopters for a while and that was not enough to improve it, and they could just run it in hidden "shadow" mode for everyone and collect data and not deploy it as a feature, but they did, so I am commenting on the feature I do have, not the future Elon tweets about ;).

Could you share link?

Sorry, was not posted, just privately sent to me. I will try and make a video that I can share later this weekend.

Woke up to the same alert on my phone, I was shocked!!

Drive on nav and you can do an app and media at the same time! So much better...

Attachments

• 432C755A-13B3-438C-AB3E-832C610D32A3.jpeg
    432C755A-13B3-438C-AB3E-832C610D32A3.jpeg
    439.4 KB · Views: 145
  • 4C597ED0-3144-476B-97C5-E1FC75C31BE3.jpeg
    4C597ED0-3144-476B-97C5-E1FC75C31BE3.jpeg
    278.6 KB · Views: 134
  • 0A394701-3DE0-49DA-ACD5-68ADFFFE7899.jpeg
    0A394701-3DE0-49DA-ACD5-68ADFFFE7899.jpeg
    280.2 KB · Views: 138

"This scenario is about planning ahead to be in the correct lane in time. If you are Mad Maxing it in the fast lane, it often doesn’t occur to NoA that it will take some time to cross 6-7 lanes of traffic. So you miss your exit... It’s like the algorithm only accounts for there ever being 2 lanes."

L3 BABY! NEXT LEVEL OF AUTONOMY!

34lcri9ieru11.jpg

Last edited:
They had it in Early Adopters for a while and that was not enough to improve it, and they could just run it in hidden "shadow" mode for everyone and collect data and not deploy it as a feature, but they did, so I am commenting on the feature I do have, not the future Elon tweets about ;).
Shadow mode alone wouldn't have been enough. They need the feedback of the actual confirmations to increase their level of confidence data in differing circumstances, and they wouldn't get the 10M miles they're after from their small beta test cohort (like yourself.)

Reactions: ChrML