Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.42.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a pretty high tolerance level, but the UI change in V9 is a classic “Change for the sake of change”. I don’t see any clear improvement except the settings is a bit more organized.

I am not bothered by the camera position, but to me, the biggest issue is the location of the icon bar. Before. It was on the top. I could click anywhere on the top portion of the screen to activate the bar. Now, I have to look down to click the small arrow icon to pop up the bar while the car is moving. Then I have to find the small icon of the function I need. Take away too much of my attention away from driving. It is more dangerous

I normally like UI change to get that refresh feel. But this time, i do want the V8 back from UI perspective

I've had my car for about a month.... with the latest update I see a noticeable loss of accuracy in following lanes and sudden hard breaking and weird behavior when driving in the highway with dense traffic moving at high speed. I am no longer using autopilot until a new update is available.

Reactions: rnortman
II am not bothered by the camera position, but to me, the biggest issue is the location of the icon bar. Before. It was on the top. I could click anywhere on the top portion of the screen to activate the bar.

And can you imagine that once upon a time you didn't even need to tap anywhere at all to get the icon bar! o_O

Bruce.

That change, more than any other, is the one that bugs me the most. It was totally unnecessary and brought no functional gain. It ticks me off every time I drive.
This change was made to consolidate and align all platform codebases. It will eventually be able to allow Tesla to accelerate improvements eventually leading to FSD. This looks like Tesla took a step backwards in order to take bigger steps forwards. The alignment and consolidation should lead to less bugs. So, the benefits may not be visible until future releases.

Although I did notice one task that was greatly improved. I can now monitor and control all heated seats with small sticky window at the bottom of the display. You used to have to hunt through menu clicks to get there.

• Love
  • Funny
Reactions: Magus and JohnnyG
My 2 cents after finally driving 2018.42.2 19e7e44 on a AP 2.0 75D with EAP and FSD.

It's a great improvement. I don't mind the UI one bit but I understand it's a matter of personal taste. For me stacking several apps is nice.

In terms of the NoA I've been critical of EAP and FSD in the past but this is encouraging. It's nowhere near FSD but with many improvements it could meet what was promised (IMO) for FSD. What was a bit disappointing was the limited options I had for getting a NoA route to test it in my area. In the metro Detroit area it seemed to have very limited options going north, and no exit info I could find for local M routes like M-59 or M-23 which are major roads but not interstates.

I took the car south on I-75 through construction but a route It offered for NoA. Custom setting was at average. Next time I will try Mad Max. the way it handled and suggested lane changes was great. The red lines on one lane side or another indicating limited AP due to things like construction or traffic was welcome and intuitive. The way it called out construction is a confidence booster. I was in a scenario for some time where our lane was moving slowly due to traffic but the adjacent lane was moving much more quickly, I was watching but was pleased it didn't suggest to leap out in front of fast moving traffic on a curve or hill. The car activates its own signals which is smooth and on the average setting it seemed to compete with normal traffic very well.

One area for improvement is cars merging in from a normal or sudden on-ramp. If it's capable of doing this I didn't see it and some UI indicator on the driver display would be nice to indicate the car recognizes a merging vehicle. Another improvement would be additional routes in the Michigan area that qualify, but I get this is likely a limited intelligence problem. I just have to take new highway exits and see if they become available. I did notice that once i eventually traveled to my southern destination and entered the location I previously desired up north it was a NoA route. My GF and I figure this has something to do with a distance requirement.

Also in general the overall driving performance of the AP seems more natural than any previous update I've had.

Overall I'm pleased and I'm eager to see new routes / updates. The browser still sucks of course and I don't have the dash cam feature but if they keep this up that will finally be small potatoes.
I agree. I’m very impressed in the ability of NoA to navigate complex intersections. One example is going from I75 south to I94 east in Downtown Detroit. It is hidden behind a curve, the right lane becomes the I94 west only and the next lane continues south and I94 east ramp takes off from it. So you have to be in the second lane from the right which is of course not marked on the freeway, and anyone who’s unfamiliar with the intersection will either miss it or end up on the I94 west ramp. NoA choses the second lane and slows enough around the curve to exit flawlessly and better than any human making this transition for the first time. It impresses me everyday since this my daily commute.

This change was made to consolidate and align all platform codebases. It will eventually be able to allow Tesla to accelerate improvements eventually leading to FSD. This looks like Tesla took a step backwards in order to take bigger steps forwards. The alignment and consolidation should lead to less bugs. So, the benefits may not be visible until future releases.
This is getting off-topic. Anyway, this change happened in V8, quite some time ago, probably before Model 3's were even available if I remember correctly. And in any case, version 9 and Model 3 do not hide those icons (which have since moved to the bottom on version 9).

This is getting off-topic. Anyway, this change happened in V8, quite some time ago, probably before Model 3's were even available if I remember correctly. And in any case, version 9 and Model 3 do not hide those icons (which have since moved to the bottom on version 9).
I am referring to the cold weather controls now being part of the Climate control menus. v8 and earlier, the cold weather was only accessible through the controls menu.

Although I did notice one task that was greatly improved. I can now monitor and control all heated seats with small sticky window at the bottom of the display. You used to have to hunt through menu clicks to get there.

That's a nice way to put it.
It feels more like the MS/X developers got laid off and management told the new kids to make the M3 software work on the "old cars"

Hi all,

Sorry if I bother but I do like v9
Got it last week with v42.3 on my MS dec 2017 mcu1 ap2.5

Like graphics and these more dense screens
Grayish colors ok
Camera calibrated fast, no issues with that
Like to see cars behind and blind spot feature
Europe so no NoD yet I think ... but not yet time to test
Dash cam ok. AP nice on my first 2 drives
Cold climate settings look better to me, more accessible in fact
Browser looks faster (ok not difficult)
Works for me so far

Cheers

Reactions: thatisug and Holo
PSA: NavOnAP and the "exit ramp speed reducer" are separate systems and do not talk to one another.

To explain: this morning I was on the highway with NavOnAP enabled. (It had, as usual, failed to do any good for me during my commute, but I keep it on just out of curiosity.) Quite suddenly TACC dropped my set speed from 65mph to 25mph. Note this was not phantom braking; this was TACC actually changing the set speed (and consequently braking fairly aggressively in the middle of dense, fast-moving traffic). NavOnAP knew I was still on the highway lane, because I wasn't anywhere near my exit and it had been tracking my lane solidly as I passed the previous exit.

So, I think they have a completely separate detector that tells the car it's on an exit ramp. I think they must both use GPS in some way (in combination with the cameras I guess) but they don't talk to one another; even if NavOnAP knows you're still on the highway, it drops your speed anyway (dangerously).

The exit ramp thing was half baked when they first released it and it hasn't improved since. I still get false positives like the above far too often.

• Informative
Reactions: am_dmd and croman

That's as may be but, in the meantime, we have to put up with an interface that is a severe downgrade from what we had. I agree that it's good to have all the heating/cooling in one place but the icons are too small to be got at safely when driving.

That's as may be but, in the meantime, we have to put up with an interface that is a severe downgrade from what we had. I agree that it's good to have all the heating/cooling in one place but the icons are too small to be got at safely when driving.

Not only did they screw up the climate control UI, but they reduced its functionality. You used to be able to put each function of the climate control on auto or manually separately -- so for example manually control fresh air vs recirculation, but leave fan speed and everything else on auto. But auto is now all or nothing -- if you manually change any aspect of the climate control, the whole thing drops to manual and you have to manually control everything.

That's a very annoying functionality regression independent of the UI stupidity. I used to use this semi-auto feature all the time.

Not only did they screw up the climate control UI, but they reduced its functionality. You used to be able to put each function of the climate control on auto or manually separately -- so for example manually control fresh air vs recirculation, but leave fan speed and everything else on auto. But auto is now all or nothing -- if you manually change any aspect of the climate control, the whole thing drops to manual and you have to manually control everything.

That's a very annoying functionality regression independent of the UI stupidity. I used to use this semi-auto feature all the time.

capture-png.239149

This! I used to have all in auto except airflow and now is gone

I'm confused by these reports. I'm running (on 2018.42.2) with all HVAC controls auto except for forcing recirculating air on. It does not look like forcing recirculation makes everything (anything) else manual. Am I misinterpreting what it's doing?

Bruce.

Interesting how vastly different the experiences are from person to person and puzzles me as to why. For me, V9 has been wonderful in every regard on an MX AP2.0. I see none of the issues you mention. As for distracting animations and messages, maybe I am just used to that from having been a Navy pilot. Doesn't bother me, yet I understand the frustration people might have.
Glad you like it, for me the UI Utterly SUCKS. Icons are hard to see, the persistent nav/maps looks like crap with the floating windows. Perhaps this is the best way for a 15" landscape screen, but it does not work on a 17" portrait. I wish it would go back

Reactions: JohnnyG
I have a pretty high tolerance level, but the UI change in V9 is a classic “Change for the sake of change”. I don’t see any clear improvement except the settings is a bit more organized.

I am not bothered by the camera position, but to me, the biggest issue is the location of the icon bar. Before. It was on the top. I could click anywhere on the top portion of the screen to activate the bar. Now, I have to look down to click the small arrow icon to pop up the bar while the car is moving. Then I have to find the small icon of the function I need. Take away too much of my attention away from driving. It is more dangerous

I normally like UI change to get that refresh feel. But this time, i do want the V8 back from UI perspective

This ... I have the same problems. Icons too small, down low and need to take my glasses off to see them -- not very safe driving experience.... I ask -- what problem were they trying to solve (other than unify the M3 UI)?

This ... I have the same problems. Icons too small, down low and need to take my glasses off to see them -- not very safe driving experience.... I ask -- what problem were they trying to solve (other than unify the M3 UI)?
I think my biggest complaint about the new interface is for the heated seats. Before, we had numbers 1,2 and 3. Now we have tiny squiggly lines and I can't distinguish how many of them are on. I shouldn't need reading glasses to see what setting the seats are on.