Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.48.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you have something more specific on that? When, how, with the 2018.48.1 version?

I updated to 48.1 this morning then drove a bit and discovered the Navigate function had completely disappeared, even as an option from the system menu. Resets did not help so I called Tesla Service and we did some troubleshooting, during which I was informed 20 files of ~6GB each were queued for download via WiFi, at least one of which is a set of new maps. On completion it should then cause the orange update clock to reappear for the install.

While I found it hard to believe that there really is 120GB to download, or indeed anyplace to store it onboard, this new mega-map update is probably a prerequisite to NoA in Europe, even if the feature does not get activated in 2018.48.1

So far about 8GB have come down and the Navi for no discernible reason resumed working normally.

Will update with the final DL figure when the marathon completes through my mobile in several days ... or may have to look for a fast open WiFi to complete.

Last edited:
Reactions: PaulJohn
I updated to 48.1 this morning then drove a bit and discovered the Navigate function had completely disappeared, even as an option from the system menu. Resets did not help so I called Tesla Service and we did some troubleshooting, during which I was informed 20 files of ~6GB each were queued for download via WiFi, at least one of which is a set of new maps. On completion it should then cause the orange update clock to reappear for the install.

While I found it hard to believe that there really is 120GB to download, or indeed anyplace to store it onboard, this new mega-map update is probably a prerequisite to NoA in Europe, even if the feature does not get activated in 2018.48.1

So far about 8GB have come down and the Navi for no discernible reason resumed working normally.

Will update with the final DL figure when the marathon completes through my mobile in several days ... or may have to look for a fast open WiFi to complete.
My car has WiFi at the office and at home. So basically, more than 90% of the day, I have a fast and reliable connection.

But unfortunately, I don't have any means to monitor data consumption so, no way to know what my car is (or isn't) downloading.

I also get the impression that differentiating the left lane as the "fast" lane means something towards activation of NoA in Europe.

+1 Mine do that all of the time in AUTO, have to manually hit the defrost and crank up the heat...

There is something different in V9. I never needed to touch the AUTO even in winter. Just simple and short usage of the windshield defroster worked flawlesly. But with V9, you need to run the windshield defroster to HI setting and then to avoid auto setting. Moreover I would say, that V8 in cold humid days still used the A/C to dry the air, something V9 doesn't do at all.

If you look in the app, can you now see the status of nearby Superchargers? Oh wait, that was you who shared screenshots of that.

I'm guessing you are referring to climate control or some other post above?

No, sorry for my imprecision. I am merely observing no difference so far with very limited experience when upgrading from 2018.48 to 2018.48.1.

AP issue post 2018.48 update: While driving on AP set at 65 (or whatever) if traffic slows and I turn steering wheel to disengage AP (lets say to let a motorcycle to pass) the set speed will change to whatever slow speed I was at. If traffic then speeds up I look down at cluster and notice its set at whatever 18, 25 it irritating.... Im there clicking the cruise stick to speed up. Just sucks as driving from Inland Empire to LA county daily I have to reset over and over again daily now when before it would be set it when on the highway and be done.

First world probs i guess

• Love
Reactions: JohnnyG
AP issue post 2018.48 update: While driving on AP set at 65 (or whatever) if traffic slows and I turn steering wheel to disengage AP (lets say to let a motorcycle to pass) the set speed will change to whatever slow speed I was at. If traffic then speeds up I look down at cluster and notice its set at whatever 18, 25 it irritating.... Im there clicking the cruise stick to speed up. Just sucks as driving from Inland Empire to LA county daily I have to reset over and over again daily now when before it would be set it when on the highway and be done.

First world probs i guess

On my Model 3 if I tap the speed limit indicator on the nav the autopilot set speed will change to that speed + my chosen max delta. Does Model S do this? Might be easier than manipulating the physical control.