Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.48.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
updated to 48.12.1 the other night. was on 42.2 prior to that.

in addition to the 2 latest easter eggs, I got the garbled font in the charging screen previously reported elsewhere on TMC. First time I've ever seen this myself - I thought I read this bug had already been squashed in an earlier version. I guess not.

I’ve come across another strange thing with this software. My sound was sounding off, so went to check and see if Dolby was set to on. I did not have the Dolby switch, I had immersive settings? Looked for the Dolby switch could not find it. Later in the evening went tweak my sounds settings again, right where immersive was the Dolby switch has returned and it was off.
I’ve had this happen in the previous update (immersive had 3 different levels to pick from). I think it has to do with internet connectivity or the audio input you’re on or something.
Apologies for disrupting the fart and games party but... did they fix the navigation bug that you cannot have the map heading up and expanded directions window at the same time? (waiting for this for a long time....)
No, and I think this is by design.

Iam still having the but where if you leave the car with the map heading fixed to the direction of the car (as opposed to north) and you come back later (perhaps after a deep sleep since I keep energy saver mode on 24/7), the map heading faces north even though the button still shows your previous setting. And ofc the workaround is toggling north on and off once.

My god can we quit discussing useless video games and farts already? Can we maybe open up a thread for "entertainment" features?

I would like to talk about driving this thing. The change where now when you disengage autosteer TACC resets to the current speed is really annoying. In dense traffic I have to disengage all the time and usually when I do it I'm going below my set speed. Now I have to babysit TACC, which makes TACC so much less useful.

If they retain this behavior, that will be the final nail in the coffin of Autosteer for me. I'll just use TACC alone all the time, since engaging Autosteer makes TACC annoying. And that will be really sh*tty because I could have had adaptive cruise control on cars costing half as much as my two Teslas cost.

Also, my phone keeps showing "Software update in progress" even though the update has been finished for almost 24 hours now. Anybody else seen this? The software update is done, according to the in-car displays.

@SeminoleFSU I have the same noise coming from (apparently) the left front suspension when TACC brakes suddenly.
I'll try to listen closely to it and determine the origin.
Will keep you posted.
In reference to the above message of mines, I've checked carefully where the noise comes from, and it is definitively the brake pedal being suddenly released and "thumping".

Ok some bad news to report. I updated to 2018.48.12 yesterday when I got to work. Driving home AP had two separate freakouts in stop and go traffic slamming on brakes and refusing to move forward despite traffic continuing in front. No rain, good visibility, no obstructions in my path. I disengaged the first time and retried a mile later and it did it again. I didn't use AP the rest of the trip because once I was rolling at speed (but traffic was still thick) I was too afraid it would do it again and get me into an accident :confused:

Really! because they are 'cutting edge' we should accept nothing to ever work correctly all at the same time as part of the Tesla EV experience? I'd like to hear the sales staff explain that view to potential customers.
P100D, I would ignore anyone who makes comments like that. You and everyone else who owns a Tesla should expect equal or better given the price you paid for you vehicle. And it is not a computer, it is a vehicle.

AP 2.5. Got romance and fart Easter eggs. Also got millipede in the arcade but no pole position and no usb controller support.

Missile command and centipede run much better now though. No sound with missile command still...

Same here. I was expecting it was not having autopilot for Pole Position. I sure wish they would fix these things, the bugs are so obvious that you don't want to show it off to anyone. The missing score info on the top of the screen is most obvious. I mean, they could not muck up the user interface, turning everything grayscale like an 80's Mac or NeXT computer, and focus on making what's there work better. But, they don't. Their priorities are sizzle for new buyers, not continued quality. Also, I hope Steve Jobs is in heaven and everything is black and white, just for him. The rest of us want to walk on streets paved with gold, and I consider this grayscale kick going on with Tesla to be a plane of hell from a UI perspective. I wasn't born mononopic and I would like to see green when roads are clear (and not blank, so I can tell if a road is closed, you idiots), I want my lakes to be blue, and I can see colored shapes a lot better than 1-color, flat icons. Also, what on earth is the deal with the candlestick phone icon? That makes as much sense as an astrolabe for the maps function. Self-absorbed, arrogant Apple, Inc. hipster rejects are in charge of the user interface now.

Put down your IPA, shave your beards, and read a book on human factors!

Also, my phone keeps showing "Software update in progress" even though the update has been finished for almost 24 hours now. Anybody else seen this? The software update is done, according to the in-car displays.
That happened to me yesterday. Worried me a little but when I got to the car it was just sitting on a dialogue box waiting for me to click OK.
Was nothing....jus some comment about reading release notes or something stupid. But that message was holding up the “complete” message to the phone I guess.
Not to worry.

Reactions: kvandivo
Ok some bad news to report. I updated to 2018.48.12 yesterday when I got to work. Driving home AP had two separate freakouts in stop and go traffic slamming on brakes and refusing to move forward despite traffic continuing in front. No rain, good visibility, no obstructions in my path. I disengaged the first time and retried a mile later and it did it again. I didn't use AP the rest of the trip because once I was rolling at speed (but traffic was still thick) I was too afraid it would do it again and get me into an accident :confused:
I’ve had a few of these lately also. I freaking hate that crap.
But in truth I’ve had several of those on the previous software last few weeks as well 42.whatever
The most annoying is the being 1/2 mile behind a car and it just going slow even this set speed is high. I get frustrated and push the pedal and make it catch up. I don’t remember that happening back in the day on V8.

As long as I’m ranting now. The other thing I hope they work on is the acceleration and deceleration. It’s “jumpy” and not smooth. It will slow down rapidly on Regen for s split second and then decide to accelerate at 1100 wh the gauge. Its swinging back and forth from high power orange to large Regen green meanwhile my head is going back and forward....gotten to where my wife gets upset and I won’t even use AP with her in the car anymore. And it’s frustrating when I’m trying to show others how great the car is.
I sure hope this is something that be “smoothed out” in the future versions.

Whew.
Ok I’m done now

One last comment on a positive note.
It seems the oversteer and understeer is smoother. It doesn’t seem to waver back and forth with steering wheel making minor adjustments as it has been. Especially better on curves. If the curve is constant, before it would make small adjustments left and right without really finding the sweet spot of the curve. And often riding to far to one side or the other of the lane.
Now it appears to figure the amount needed for the curve and just hold that and make very minute changes to keep it centered. Much more comfortable and gives the driver confidence.
There I said something nice :)

Last edited:
I got the update yesterday and had one issue. I pulled into my driveway, ran into the house to get something as I left the driver's door open and when I returned there was a prompt that the car needs servicing due to an issue with power steering and it may be compromised. I drove around the block and felt nothing unusual. I got out, locked the car, immediately reopened it, and the warning prompt was gone.

My god can we quit discussing useless video games and farts already? Can we maybe open up a thread for "entertainment" features?

I would like to talk about driving this thing. The change where now when you disengage autosteer TACC resets to the current speed is really annoying. In dense traffic I have to disengage all the time and usually when I do it I'm going below my set speed. Now I have to babysit TACC, which makes TACC so much less useful.

If they retain this behavior, that will be the final nail in the coffin of Autosteer for me. I'll just use TACC alone all the time, since engaging Autosteer makes TACC annoying. And that will be really sh*tty because I could have had adaptive cruise control on cars costing half as much as my two Teslas cost.

I have had roughly 35 updates on my car, and this is the first time (2018.48.12.1) that it did not complete normally. I never received notification from the app that it was finished; only that it started. When I went out to the car hours later, I had a message on the screen that read: "Update completed, checking status". Normally it is always displaying the Release Notes when I get in the car after an update. I cleared the message, and moved on. The app finally stopped showing "Software update in progress".

The TACC thing is absolute complete CRAP! If they're going to make that major of a usability / drivability design change, pop a message up to let us know! Or at least put it in the damn release notes!!
I can't tell you how confused I was, and how pissed off the people around me were, this morning when this kept occurring during my morning commute; especially seeing that I wasn't expecting this behavior. I kept assuming I was doing something stupid. This is completely not safe!

In S and X, you can long pull the AP stick towards the wheel/you and it will set the speed to the current max speed of the road you are on.

No it won't. If you are less than 10km/h below the current max speed, it will set it to your current speed, with a minimum of 30km/h. It's only when you're within 10km/h of the max speed (including any offset you have set) that it will set it to the max speed.

Hmmm interesting... I don't use it often, so you might be right. I'll give it a try again later, but it used to behave as I explained. At least in my experience.
@AustinP is correct (at least here in the USA), although his wording may be confusing. He is referring to pulling the AP stalk back, and holding it there for a full second or two. I think @conman might be referring to just a normal tap back of the AP stalk.

In the USA, if the car hasn't identified the speed for the road you are on (no speed limit displayed on the IC), and you pull back and hold the AP stalk, it does nothing.

However, if the IC is currently displaying a speed limit sign, and you pull back and hold the AP stalk, it will set the TACC to the posted speed limit plus your defined offset (up to +5 for surface streets). This will occur, no matter what speed you are currently traveling.

I believe @conman is correct with his specs, if you just do a normal pull back and immediately release.

Reactions: AustinP